St. Henry: Varsity Football starts in 2026. (Now moved up to 2025.)

happ

The population boom, football, a wonderful football facility, along with a winning football program have all contributed to both the popularity of football at Brossart, and our enrollment.

Last year's football team had 37 members.  11 of them graduated leaving us with 26 and today we have 50 - an increase of 24 football players this year. 14 of the newcomers are freshmen.

We are fielding Freshman, JV, and Varsity soccer teams, so I'm assuming our soccer numbers are still good.  Total enrolment 9-12 is just over 300 co-ed.  

• Like 2

On 8/1/2022 at 4:00 PM, gbballfan21 said:

I was told by someone at the school that the plan was to have football within 4 years…..

On 8/2/2022 at 7:09 AM, The Double Deuce said:

I will be shocked if that happens.

St. Tim's in Union opened as a K-8 school in the fall of 2017 and they're currently working on a major addition to the school because they've had to cap enrollment the last two years due to limitations in the physical size of the building. I was told by the architect for the grade school addition that they have also brought up intentions to expand to a K-12, and that football was also mentioned in that discussion.

I believe St. Tim's and Immaculate Heart of Mary in Hebron are 2 of the 3 largest parishes in the Diocese of Covington...and I think they're actually the 2 largest. My assumption would be that a lot of the IHM kids that have traditionally matriculated into St. Henry would end up attending St. Tim's instead, assuming the high school does end up coming to fruition. And for the record, I feel very confident that "St. Timothy Catholic High School" is an inevitable development seeing as there is currently no Catholic high school with a Boone County address (yes, I realize St. Henry's building is located like 1000 yards across the county line into Boone County), and Boone County continues to be one of the fastest growing counties in the state of Kentucky. That certainly won't be much help for any hopes of getting a football program up and running at St. Henry if they are looking at a drop in enrollment at the same time or immediately following the point where they try to get a football program off the ground.

I've heard lifelong St. Henry folks talking about how "football is gonna happen in a couple of years" for 20+ years now, but it never has. The new playing field is certainly good for raising an eyebrow - it did for me, anyway - but I'm still filing it under "I'll believe it when I see it."

twocents640.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 8/9/2022 at 2:26 PM, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

St. Tim's in Union opened as a K-8 school in the fall of 2017 and they're currently working on a major addition to the school because they've had to cap enrollment the last two years due to limitations in the physical size of the building. I was told by the architect for the grade school addition that they have also brought up intentions to expand to a K-12, and that football was also mentioned in that discussion.

I believe St. Tim's and Immaculate Heart of Mary in Hebron are 2 of the 3 largest parishes in the Diocese of Covington...and I think they're actually the 2 largest. My assumption would be that a lot of the IHM kids that have traditionally matriculated into St. Henry would end up attending St. Tim's instead, assuming the high school does end up coming to fruition. And for the record, I feel very confident that "St. Timothy Catholic High School" is an inevitable development seeing as there is currently no Catholic high school with a Boone County address (yes, I realize St. Henry's building is located like 1000 yards across the county line into Boone County), and Boone County continues to be one of the fastest growing counties in the state of Kentucky. That certainly won't be much help for any hopes of getting a football program up and running at St. Henry if they are looking at a drop in enrollment at the same time or immediately following the point where they try to get a football program off the ground.

I've heard lifelong St. Henry folks talking about how "football is gonna happen in a couple of years" for 20+ years now, but it never has. The new playing field is certainly good for raising an eyebrow - it did for me, anyway - but I'm still filing it under "I'll believe it when I see it."

twocents640.jpg

Welp, here you go. Sounds like 3-5 years was spot on. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/2/2022 at 11:58 AM, Velvet Jones said:

Look at what football has done for Brossart's enrollment.  I think St. Henry would be crazy not to at least explore it.  Boone County is booming and there isn't a Catholic High School in the county with a football team.  I think it makes all the sense in the world for them to do it.  

I totally agree. And I look for the Brossart program to continue improving. I could see them advancing to turning the next corner as a program and think they may be very close now.

Good luck to St. Henry... but it will have collateral effects on sports like Cross Country where St. Henry has always been tough...  Sounds like they are doing it the right way though...start with Jr. High and move to JV and finally Varsity....

I could be wrong but I believe LCA followed a similar model. They brought Rains in and he started coaching the kids in MS. Then just continued to move up. So the LCA group was coached from MS all they way till they graduated by Rains (the first full group to go through that is). Like I said I could be wrong but I believe that was their approach. 

• Like 1

While this has been widely anticipated, it was officially announced today in the Enquirer that St. Henry would embark on a journey to varsity football at the Class 2A level starting in 2026.  In the interim they will field a Junior High team which will evolve into a JV team, which in 2026 (the next major realignment) will compete at the varsity level.

They already have a fully functional football turf surface field presently in place on their Donaldson Road campus in Erlanger.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mustang said:

While this has been widely anticipated, it was officially announced today in the Enquirer that St. Henry would embark on a journey to varsity football at the Class 2A level starting in 2026.  In the interim they will field a Junior High team which will evolve into a JV team, which in 2026 (the next major realignment) will compete at the varsity level.

They already have a fully functional football turf surface field presently in place on their Donaldson Road campus in Erlanger.

I think it’s awesome that they are starting a football program finally, and I like how they are going about building it. I think they will end up being a very good football program. 

In regards to 2026, the 2026 season will actually be the last year of the next four year realignment that will start next year in 2023. So I guess the KHSAA will allow them to join a district for that last season in this next realignment to get one year of varsity in, before the next realignment starts in the 2027 season. 

• theguru changed the title to St. Henry's (Boone County) - Varsity Football starts in 2026
  • Colonels_Wear_Blue changed the title to St. Henry: Varsity Football starts in 2026. (Now moved up to 2025.)