St. Henry: Varsity Football starts in 2026. (Now moved up to 2025.)

happ

• theguru changed the title to St. Henry's (Boone County) new soccer field has football markings on it

Not many know this fun fact but I was the MVP of the first ever Holy Cross Indian soccer team that played in the fall of 1981 and spring of 1982.  The following year, Holy Cross made one of their best hires in school history with Doug Graham as their soccer coach.   He was there 25 years and had an incredible run of winning 3 straight regional titles.  Then HC started football and haven't really come close to winning a boys soccer regional since.  HS Football is wonderful, but can take a toll on other fall sports.

• Like 3

When this first came out about the turf, I didn't hear anything about plans for a football team, but putting in the football lines allows them to bring in some revenue by renting the field to local peewee and middle school teams for games.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, The Double Deuce said:

I will be shocked if that happens.

Look at what football has done for Brossart's enrollment.  I think St. Henry would be crazy not to at least explore it.  Boone County is booming and there isn't a Catholic High School in the county with a football team.  I think it makes all the sense in the world for them to do it.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Velvet Jones said:

Look at what football has done for Brossart's enrollment.  I think St. Henry would be crazy not to at least explore it.  Boone County is booming and there isn't a Catholic High School in the county with a football team.  I think it makes all the sense in the world for them to do it.  

If you're giving credit to football for Brossart's growth in enrollment, I think you're stacking the deck a little.  

I have a pretty firm understanding of SHDHS' current financial situation, and of the things swirling around that could impact them the next couple of years, and I stand by my comment:  I will be very surprised if there is football at St. Henry in the next 5 years.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, The Double Deuce said:

If you're giving credit to football for Brossart's growth in enrollment, I think you're stacking the deck a little.  

I have a pretty firm understanding of SHDHS' current financial situation, and of the things swirling around that could impact them the next couple of years, and I stand by my comment:  I will be very surprised if there is football at St. Henry in the next 5 years.

I would love to see football at St. Henry but I agree every other sport would take a hit, at least for awhile. 

I am not giving all the credit to football but I do think it had an impact.  Southern Campbell County is booming and having football my convince little Jimmy to go to Brossart instead of Campbell County and continue his Catholic education.   Maybe Jimmy's family live in Alexandria and Jimmy really wants to play football.  Mom and Dad don't want to drive to Newport every morning and afternoon to send Timmy to New Cath.  Either way Brossart picks up a kid they wouldn't have been getting.  

Now I don't have any idea about St. Henry's finances but I do know where all of the new construction is happening and Boone County is booming more than Southern Campbell County.  St Timothy is putting a big an addition so that tells me parents still want their kids to get a Catholic education.  If I were the new Bishop and wanted to get my Catholic High School enrollment up especially in Boone County I may look at  St. Henry to see if football wouldn't help them.  And apparently they got one of the biggest expenses already covered.  As someone said above build it and they will come.  

• Like 1

On 8/2/2022 at 8:12 AM, nees1212 said:

When this first came out about the turf, I didn't hear anything about plans for a football team, but putting in the football lines allows them to bring in some revenue by renting the field to local peewee and middle school teams for games.

Do they have a marching band? Makes sense to put football lines on a field for band use even without a football team. 

• theguru changed the title to St. Henry's (Boone County) - Varsity Football starts in 2026
  • Colonels_Wear_Blue changed the title to St. Henry: Varsity Football starts in 2026. (Now moved up to 2025.)