Holmes names Tony Perkins boys basketball coach.

10 hours ago, KYFootballFanz said:

Thank you. I was really hoping that could pull Sullivan away from Cooper.

If this was 10 years ago, I could see Sullivan making that move. Present day, there's no way Sullivan leaves Cooper for Holmes, despite him being an alumni. Cooper is among the top jobs in NKY. Holmes at this point, is a stepping stone job.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rjs4470 said:

If this was 10 years ago, I could see Sullivan making that move. Present day, there's no way Sullivan leaves Cooper for Holmes, despite him being an alumni. Cooper is among the top jobs in NKY. Holmes at this point, is a stepping stone job.

I'm not real sure I would classify Holmes as a stepping stone job currently, but it could be headed in that direction.

4 minutes ago, 4 Quarters said:

I'm not real sure I would classify Holmes as a stepping stone job currently, but it could be headed in that direction.

Agreed. You can't really call it a stepping stone job yet when none of the recent previous coaches have gone anywhere else to coach. They have done nothing but hire veteran coaches for the last two decades, Perkins included. That status may be in the future if they cannot return to consistent winning ways, but that day isn't here quite yet.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KYFootballFanz said:

Has Holmes named a new coach yet? 

Tony Perkins, Tony was assistant boys coach for a few years for Coach Booher, then was named girls head coach, he took Holmes to state 3 years in a row I believe, looking at past stats, looks like he complied 115 wins and 31 losses, Coach Perkins is from the Elizabeth town area. Got out of coaching a few years, but remained in the Covington school system, as was recently rehired as boys head coach.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, allsport71 said:

Tony Perkins, Tony was assistant boys coach for a few years for Coach Booher, then was named girls head coach, he took Holmes to state 3 years in a row I believe, looking at past stats, looks like he complied 115 wins and 31 losses, Coach Perkins is from the Elizabeth town area. Got out of coaching a few years, but remained in the Covington school system, as was recently rehired as boys head coach.

I am interested in seeing what he can do. I don’t know him at all but this hire has a feel like there could be a return to success with him as coach.

Beechwood is likely to slide back even more after this year, and Holy Cross after Jake Meyer is a bit of a crap-shoot with a young coach and not a ton in the pipeline on the boys' side, so that 2nd ticket to the 9th Region tourney appears to be doable if Tony can get the kids to come out and stay invested.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, The Double Deuce said:

Beechwood is likely to slide back even more after this year, and Holy Cross after Jake Meyer is a bit of a crap-shoot with a young coach and not a ton in the pipeline on the boys' side, so that 2nd ticket to the 9th Region tourney appears to be doable if Tony can get the kids to come out and stay invested.

Don't want to turn this into a Beechwood thread of comments, but Beechwood should be better in the next few years. A lot of young talent coming.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

He will? 🙃

I know what you are saying. It is hard to believe that there aren't potential players at Holmes.

Certainly unconfirmed, but I was told Holmes enrollment is way down.  Almost half from just about 10 years ago (someone feel free to correct me).  Also, it seems that any decent talent the past few years looks for better situations.  2 good examples would be Ward and Elmer.  Seems like both of them made good decisions for each of them as well.  Good luck to coach Perkins, but it looks like it may be a long road.

• Colonels_Wear_Blue changed the title to Holmes names Tony Perkins boys basketball coach.