Class of ‘23 #1 RB Ruben Owens Commits to Louisville

TheDeuce

54 minutes ago, sportsfan41 said:

Interesting. 

My first thought as well. 

Not trying to imply anything, but saw on the UL board that an Adidas NIL deal may have been a contributing factor here...

NIL is going to be a contributing factor for most commitments to any school these days. 

I am thoroughly enjoying the saltiness online from Louisville continuing to land big time commits in this class. It will be really bad if/when they sign. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheDeuce said:

NIL is going to be a contributing factor for most commitments to any school these days. 

I am thoroughly enjoying the saltiness online from Louisville continuing to land big time commits in this class. It will be really bad if/when they sign. 

Who is salty? 

NIL is apart of the game now and Louisville is taking advantage of it. 

I was simply posting that an Adidas NIL deal worth 7 figures is what is rumored to be a major contributing factor for why he chose Louisville. 

Tennessee used a similar tactic to land the 5* QB.... Is what it is. 

21 minutes ago, Walter said:

Who is salty? 

NIL is apart of the game now and Louisville is taking advantage of it. 

I was simply posting that an Adidas NIL deal worth 7 figures is what is rumored to be a major contributing factor for why he chose Louisville. 

Tennessee used a similar tactic to land the 5* QB.... Is what it is. 

I was referring to Twitter and other boards. 

But, this is the second time you’ve alluded to “not implying anything,” you sure you’re good over there? 😂

6 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

I was referring to Twitter and other boards. 

But, this is the second time you’ve alluded to “not implying anything,” you sure you’re good over there? 😂

I saw the Twitter stuff after I posted that reply so I know what you mean now.

And I'm good over here. As long as Louisville stays out of Ohio, I don't really care what they're doing. 😂

Given Louisville's recent history though, you can't fault people for being curious about what went down or happened for them to start recruiting at this level. Landing a kid like this on the basketball side (more history and prestige) would probably get a different reaction nationally.

Like I said, NIL is what it is. 

I'm more curious about the reaction if it doesn't translate to wins with all these studs. Sounds like a few more high level kids will be joining soon. Enjoy it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Walter said:

I saw the Twitter stuff after I posted that reply so I know what you mean now.

And I'm good over here. As long as Louisville stays out of Ohio, I don't really care what they're doing. 😂

Given Louisville's recent history though, you can't fault people for being curious about what went down or happened for them to start recruiting at this level. Landing a kid like this on the basketball side (more history and prestige) would probably get a different reaction nationally.

Like I said, NIL is what it is. 

I'm more curious about the reaction if it doesn't translate to wins with all these studs. Sounds like a few more high level kids will be joining soon. Enjoy it. 

Just like you said, it's the NIL. 

I think as more and more teams who aren't "blue bloods" in football start landing top talent it will become more normal for that kind of talent to spread out. That is, until the NCAA decides NIL is bad, which is going to happen and it will go away again. 

The guys Louisville currently has signed won't make an impact before the 2024 season, at least not on the field. If they all sign, the leash gets very, very long IMO. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

Just like you said, it's the NIL. 

I think as more and more teams who aren't "blue bloods" in football start landing top talent it will become more normal for that kind of talent to spread out. That is, until the NCAA decides NIL is bad, which is going to happen and it will go away again. 

The guys Louisville currently has signed won't make an impact before the 2024 season, at least not on the field. If they all sign, the leash gets very, very long IMO. 

Which goes away first?  NIL or NCAA?

• Like 1

On 6/21/2022 at 9:46 PM, TheDeuce said:

NIL. As much as we like to think it will, the NCAA isn’t going anywhere. 

Cat is already out of the bag and will be tough to stuff it in the bag. NIL is here to stay but may have more restrictions tied to it though. 

41 minutes ago, Jumper_Dad said:

Supreme Court voted 9-0 that kids can earn money, NIL rules may change some...but it ain't going away.

The NIL will “go away” so that it can’t be used for recruiting. I’d almost guarantee it. The only question is when. 

1 hour ago, TheDeuce said:

The NIL will “go away” so that it can’t be used for recruiting. I’d almost guarantee it. The only question is when. 

It's intent was never for recruiting. But anyone that did see what's happening now in recruiting coming was just blind or naive. I said, maybe even on here years ago, that with NIL Coaches would have to come with sponsorship dollars in place to recruit kids. 

This was always going to happen. I'm not sure how it can even be controlled at this point.

45 minutes ago, Jumper_Dad said:

It's intent was never for recruiting. But anyone that did see what's happening now in recruiting coming was just blind or naive. I said, maybe even on here years ago, that with NIL Coaches would have to come with sponsorship dollars in place to recruit kids. 

This was always going to happen. I'm not sure how it can even be controlled at this point.

The earnings will be capped at some point, that's my prediction. Across the board, athletes will know how much they can earn, regardless of the school, and that will take any recruiting advantages away from programs that have more money to spend. 

• Like 1