Is there a shortage of Football Officials in NKY?

The shortage of officials is nationwide.

Every month, NFHS sends their newsletter. For the last 2-3 years, it seems like 80% of the cover stories have revolves around the causes, effects, and potential solutions for the shortage.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am an official for football, soccer and basketball.  There is a shortage.  I don't let parents bother me but not all people can move past the things that are said.  I have been threatened and called

These are Administration problems as well, IMO. If you're hosting an event and allow a parent to berate officials like that, it's a bad look for the school/host. 

Many of those new officials quit without even doing a game from my understanding. I agree coaches and parents need to be reined in.  It's bad in all sports, not just football.  As a coach, I set

Posted Images

45 minutes ago, nees1212 said:

From what I’ve heard, many of the new officials at the beginning of the year have already quit. We’ve had discussions about it at the youth level.

If you do officiate, then please, please take a minute to understand the rules of the game at hand. I can live with bad calls and even inconsistencies, but to say you don’t know the rules at that level, it drives me nuts.

New officials get placed on the line, with coaches (dads) in their ears.  There is a learning curve for new officials to see everything and the mentors of the NKOA talk about the game slowing down as you get more experienced.  With every coach (dad) screaming in your ear about "little johnny" getting held, the attractiveness of officiating may be tough for some.  Perhaps the league should take a tough look at how it affects the retention and how many of its organizations are pushing people to try out officiating.  

I've been that daddy coach, I spent several years sitting around the youth level leadership table, and I spent a year officiating.  KY football is going to reap what it sews if it doesn't assist with the push of capable people to the officiating ranks and doesn't control the coaches/fans.  When my schedule allows, I'm going to go back and officiate, what about you?

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, BubbyKY said:

New officials get placed on the line, with coaches (dads) in their ears.  There is a learning curve for new officials to see everything and the mentors of the NKOA talk about the game slowing down as you get more experienced.  With every coach (dad) screaming in your ear about "little johnny" getting held, the attractiveness of officiating may be tough for some.  Perhaps the league should take a tough look at how it affects the retention and how many of its organizations are pushing people to try out officiating.  

I've been that daddy coach, I spent several years sitting around the youth level leadership table, and I spent a year officiating.  KY football is going to reap what it sews if it doesn't assist with the push of capable people to the officiating ranks and doesn't control the coaches/fans.  When my schedule allows, I'm going to go back and officiate, what about you?

I umpired baseball at multiple levels for several years. I completely lost my love for the game until I got out of it. It’s been 15 years; and At this point in my life, I’d rather be poor than go through the ranks of working up the ladder from freshman/JV etc. I’d rather be homeless than earn a dollar working rec league. The higher up the ladder you get, the more tolerable the coaches. If I had a nickel for every coach daddy I heard spout off some mythical baseball nonsense like “tie goes to the runner,” I could have retired years ago. 

The straw that broke the camel’s back for me was a coach daddy physically assaulting a friend of mine in the middle of the field. He had been in my face more than once, but I poop turds bigger than him. My buddy wasn’t so lucky and he got bulldogged to the ground in a headlock.

The ultimate karma: coach daddy’s kid never played beyond JV, and my buddy is a full time MLB umpire who has worked a couple of post season series. 

• Like 2

The Northern KY Youth Football League is going to do an Apprentice Program for next season. Any high school student or just out of high school is eligible to participate. We are going to provide hat, shirt, shorts and flag with this program. They will be paired with experienced officials during games. They will get paid to officiate games. The NKOA has been a great partner with the NKYFL for over 60 years. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is a huge shortage of officials, caused by many different things, making a perfect storm so to say.  Teams in the southern part of the NKOA's assigning have been asked to move games all year, and have had games with less than 5 officials.  Middle school games in that same area have had games with 3 officials.  Youth leagues have had to cancel, officiate their own games, or work with 1 or 2 officials.  It is something that needs to be worked on and fixed from multiple levels.  More officials are needed, patients is needed with those new officials, crowds need to start cheering for their team and not cussing the officials, and admin need to step up and make sure that anyone that in screaming a bunch of four letter words at the officials are either shut up, or removed.  This will take years to recoup from, as it has taken years to get to this point. 

• Like 1

It's kind of like coaching... No one wants to do it anymore. Too many helicopter parents causing issues putting the blame on refs and coaches instead of holding their kids accountable. There has been a shortage all year and there have a few games every week on Thursdays and Saturdays to help make sure all games could be played. Tackett warned at the beginning of the year that if we did not start getting more officials and make the environment better for our officials, that we would start seeing games cancelled completely due to lack of referees. 

8 hours ago, BubbyKY said:

Many of those new officials quit without even doing a game from my understanding.

I agree coaches and parents need to be reined in.  It's bad in all sports, not just football.  As a coach, I set a precedent with my parents at the beginning of the year.  I've stopped games to yell at my parents to shut up if they get out of hand.  Soccer does silent weekends, and as a parent, I love it.  If I were a coach on those weekends, I'd love it too.  I wish more sports followed suit as parents can only clap or cheer after a goal.  It makes the games much more enjoyable for players and coaches, and officials.

I advocate for officials all the time.  I encourage people to get into it.  I'm not a coach that yells at officials, and I encourage others to do the same.  I always pack extra water for the officials.  I just simply ask that they know the rules. 

• Like 4

A parent at the Cooper vs Highlands soccer regional game last night literally YELLED at the field for 80 straight minutes.  I just can't believe that grown adults act like that, and the shame of it is, it has to dissuade from people from wanting to officiate anything.  Basketball is even worse, random parents / fans will spend an entire game just SCREAMING at officials, and while those adults are the absolute worst, it is going to get to the point where no one with options will want to officiate high school sports of any type.

Football having a shortage, like soccer and basketball, isn't surprising to me at all.  Disappointing because there are so many people with a passion around youth and high school sports, as evidenced by the 20+ year successful run of @theguru's pride and joy, but who wants to subject themselves to clowns berating them from beginning to end.  

I can't believe these adults that scream the entire time at officials don't get in their cars after, hoarse, look in the mirror, and wonder what exactly they are doing with their lives.  Let coaches coach, let players play, let officials officiate, and enjoy your popcorn, coke, and candy bar.  Please.

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, The Double Deuce said:

A parent at the Cooper vs Highlands soccer regional game last night literally YELLED at the field for 80 straight minutes.  I just can't believe that grown adults act like that, and the shame of it is, it has to dissuade from people from wanting to officiate anything.  Basketball is even worse, random parents / fans will spend an entire game just SCREAMING at officials, and while those adults are the absolute worst, it is going to get to the point where no one with options will want to officiate high school sports of any type.

Football having a shortage, like soccer and basketball, isn't surprising to me at all.  Disappointing because there are so many people with a passion around youth and high school sports, as evidenced by the 20+ year successful run of @theguru's pride and joy, but who wants to subject themselves to clowns berating them from beginning to end.  

I can't believe these adults that scream the entire time at officials don't get in their cars after, hoarse, look in the mirror, and wonder what exactly they are doing with their lives.  Let coaches coach, let players play, let officials officiate, and enjoy your popcorn, coke, and candy bar.  Please.

These are Administration problems as well, IMO. If you're hosting an event and allow a parent to berate officials like that, it's a bad look for the school/host. 

• Like 5

I am an official for football, soccer and basketball.  There is a shortage.  I don't let parents bother me but not all people can move past the things that are said.  I have been threatened and called names, no matter the call.  Younger people don't want to get on this end of all that negativity.  If something doesn't give soon, us old folks will retire and there will be nobody to replace us.  Then what?

• Like 6
7 minutes ago, Bbarnes said:

I am an official for football, soccer and basketball.  There is a shortage.  I don't let parents bother me but not all people can move past the things that are said.  I have been threatened and called names, no matter the call.  Younger people don't want to get on this end of all that negativity.  If something doesn't give soon, us old folks will retire and there will be nobody to replace us.  Then what?

Welcome to BGP @Bbarnes!

And we all appreciate all you do for high school sports, thank you.

• Like 3

Whenever I see officials walking in from the parking lot or leaving game, I always thank them for being officials because without them we wouldn't have games. Leave it up to the coaches to talk to officials about bad calls. Refs sometimes listen to coaches but I'm sure they put no stock into what fans in the stands think.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Tigerpride94 said:

Refs sometimes listen to coaches but I'm sure they put no stock into what fans in the stands think.

When I was with KFOA, fans rarely (if ever) bothered me. It was coaches who made it bad. 

With fans, I quickly realized very few of them know the rules so they were easier to dismiss. 

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

When I was with KFOA, fans rarely (if ever) bothered me. It was coaches who made it bad. 

With fans, I quickly realized very few of them know the rules so they were easier to dismiss. 

For sure on the rules, especially the rules that vary from college or pro which are ones they are used to from watching on TV.

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

For sure on the rules, especially the rules that vary from college or pro which are ones they are used to from watching on TV.

The differences often cause me to pause and question the rules. 

• Like 2