Jump to content

“IF” Highlands beats Covington Catholic.


Recommended Posts

Boy this has jumped the shark!  Time will tell if the birds are ready.  It has been tough sledding as of late.  I feel that many have cashed out.  I do believe that the birds are young and will be fine moving forward.  I also believed that a group of seniors have played their hearts out.  You lose your receiver 1 for the year.  Transfer not eligible and no running game.  I guarantee you this some know what this week is!   Question is will some come and compete.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

“Big” wins is being thrown around pretty loosely. BG is 3-4, SK is 1-6 and Campbell is 1-6 and Boone has been struggling for a decade.

There were A LOT of older helmets and equipment that should have been replaced before it actually was. However, all of the equipment that was given to players was safe and certified. Was it top of the

Agree. The Conner game is the tell tale game for me on the 2021 Bluebirds. 

1 hour ago, throwback32 said:

Unfortunately this has been the same statement/feeling from the last 5-6 years.  “Middle school talent” and “help is on the way” has not translated to the usual success.  
 

I really hope the program turns the corner.

I have NEVER heard that from people in the know. There have been several classes in recent years that were not as strong as people thought, but the talent that was there was definitely not coached up and made to push themselves hard in the off season by the former staff and it showed. There was plenty of talent around to not lose to teams they shouldn’t and to make a few runs in the playoffs. It was painfully obvious how little time was spent in the weight room the last several years.  That is now changing and it will take time to show up on the field. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Weasbird91 said:

I have NEVER heard that from people in the know. There have been several classes in recent years that were not as strong as people thought, but the talent that was there was definitely not coached up and made to push themselves hard in the off season by the former staff and it showed. There was plenty of talent around to not lose to teams they shouldn’t and to make a few runs in the playoffs. It was painfully obvious how little time was spent in the weight room the last several years.  That is now changing and it will take time to show up on the field. 

Weight room is big.  That is a big difference!  The time spent is crazy in hours.  I will guarantee this the time spent this year versus last year is significant.   Those in the program know the difference!

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Weasbird91 said:

I have NEVER heard that from people in the know. There have been several classes in recent years that were not as strong as people thought, but the talent that was there was definitely not coached up and made to push themselves hard in the off season by the former staff and it showed. There was plenty of talent around to not lose to teams they shouldn’t and to make a few runs in the playoffs. It was painfully obvious how little time was spent in the weight room the last several years.  That is now changing and it will take time to show up on the field. 

Yall done taking digs at the former staff yet? Many are still on staff BTW. Well besides the 3 that quit.  You got rid of them move on. I for one being a new member and I'm already tired of this. Excuses are like you know, everyone has them. The difference I've seen from years past to now, is the defense. No speed to the ball, no gang tackling, line being pushed. Can't stop the run. Offense is cute at times with a few trick plays. My favorite this season, was the sure win against McNick. Maybe you should've stuck with Boyle. Oh BTW, the bad habits start in the youth league! Congrats on that huge win against Boone. Must be the turning point. Go Colonels beat Highlands! Go get em Eddie. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Bluebird99 said:

Helmets have a shelf life (think 10 years) and it’s also a requirement for them to be sent out after each season for an inspection.  The inspection company determines which helmets are useable & which are not.  New helmets were bought to replace the shelf life & out of commission helmets.

From what I was told by Equipment reps, Weinrich followed the same process for helmets that Mueller did.  His main concern was protecting the players in all safety requirements, even regarding the required pads. 

I’m confused how a player doesn’t know how to win.  Every player and coach prepares to win.  Never known of any to prepare to not win.  HHS beat Ryle, Dixie, & Conner last season; seems like they ‘know’ how to win.

 

Good to know about the equipment. I'm glad you clarified on that. You said the previous Coach followed the same process for Equipment as Mueller did? Perfect.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Rule 2 reads in part:

2. No disparaging, taunting, or boastful comments--especially between opponents trying to intimidate each other. This includes, name calling or personal attacks toward any member, username, team, or school. Additionally this includes a pattern of posts that inflames or incites other posters (i.e. trolling or gaslighting).

Link to post
Share on other sites

For what it's worth, Highlands has only given up 30 points one time this year in a shootout. They have lost 3 games by 1 score and lost to Ryle by 14. 4 running clocks were put on them last year. Could they be 5-3, 6-2, 7-1? Maybe. Do we all want them to be 10-0? No doubt. Coach Sphire has only been here for just over 6 months and improvements are obvious. Young kids are playing significantly in bunches. They are averaging 300+ yards per game offensively and 10 more ppg than last year. A switch cannot be flipped in 6 months into a championship caliber team, but improvements are obvious. The weight room is the difference maker and a full off-season will be huge moving forward. Go Birds!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, GoBirds4 said:

For what it's worth, Highlands has only given up 30 points one time this year in a shootout. They have lost 3 games by 1 score and lost to Ryle by 14. 4 running clocks were put on them last year. Could they be 5-3, 6-2, 7-1? Maybe. Do we all want them to be 10-0? No doubt. Coach Sphire has only been here for just over 6 months and improvements are obvious. Young kids are playing significantly in bunches. They are averaging 300+ yards per game offensively and 10 more ppg than last year. A switch cannot be flipped in 6 months into a championship caliber team, but improvements are obvious. The weight room is the difference maker and a full off-season will be huge moving forward. Go Birds!

Exactly!  I am 110% in agreement.  This not last year birds.  Very talented groups coming in framed with weight program.  I am very proud of the Senior group!  They are the table setters.  Season is not done yet; regardless they stayed the course and I am confident that Sphire and his coaches will get this right!  As a Senior parent, I am excited about the program, the kids, the coaches.  Sometimes seasons don’t end in championships, the true measure of a Man is if you left it better than started!  I see new leaders emerging on the field and am excited for the community.  Folks this was not a quick fix!  I can guarantee you this Coach Sphire is not going to disagree with effort.  You don’t bulk up overnight.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bird Bath said:

Exactly!  I am 110% in agreement.  This not last year birds.  Very talented groups coming in framed with weight program.  I am very proud of the Senior group!  They are the table setters.  Season is not done yet; regardless they stayed the course and I am confident that Sphire and his coaches will get this right!  As a Senior parent, I am excited about the program, the kids, the coaches.  Sometimes seasons don’t end in championships, the true measure of a Man is if you left it better than started!  I see new leaders emerging on the field and am excited for the community.  Folks this was not a quick fix!  I can guarantee you this Coach Sphire is not going to disagree with effort.  You don’t bulk up overnight.  

When I go out with some of my "bigger friends" I can put on nearly ten pounds in one day but it is not the kind of bulk that will help me play a contact sport. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Our Link Policy reads in part:

III. When any member posts a link to a 3rd party website, that link MUST be accompanied by meaningful commentary in the post explaining why the link has been shared. This is intended to provide insight about the link without forcing anyone to leave BGP in order to understand the subject matter, as well as continuing to generate organic discussion in the thread rather than completely directing attention elsewhere. Meaningful commentary could include questions (one simple question will not be sufficient) intended to stem discussion, it can be some personal observations about the topic of the link, or it could simply be a summary in the member’s own words about what is contained in the link.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t know how to comment on this thread.  

At the end of the day I will be shocked big time “IF” Highlands pulls off the victory.  I think any person/fan that has watched this season go along would agree.  There are things that this team is missing but only time will help those things.  

At the end of the day things are improving.  I also agree from being a fan of BGP for a few years but a member for only a year I have also read each and every year “BUT our Freshmen class is GREAT, wait until they become Upperclassment” so the comment above that you haven’t heard that before is a little shocking.

The difference in that statement now and when its been stated in the past is the feeling that most of these underclassmen will stay committed into the program.  I feel like there has been an exodus of good quality players in youth/middle/freshmen level Ft. Thomas football that have ventured off to commit to other sports. Unfortunately, ONLY TIME will tell if this is the case…..

So to answer the question of the title of the thread, “I WOULD BE SHOCKED if they win this year against Cov Cath”…..but “IF” it did happen I will be the first person dancing in the streets in excitement.

Go Birds 

#BEATCOLONELS!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GoBirds4 said:

For what it's worth, Highlands has only given up 30 points one time this year in a shootout. They have lost 3 games by 1 score and lost to Ryle by 14. 4 running clocks were put on them last year. Could they be 5-3, 6-2, 7-1? Maybe. Do we all want them to be 10-0? No doubt. Coach Sphire has only been here for just over 6 months and improvements are obvious. Young kids are playing significantly in bunches. They are averaging 300+ yards per game offensively and 10 more ppg than last year. A switch cannot be flipped in 6 months into a championship caliber team, but improvements are obvious. The weight room is the difference maker and a full off-season will be huge moving forward. Go Birds!

And they played neither Boyle County nor Moeller like last season. How do Bird fans know about helmets, equipment, what happens in the weight room, instant injury reports, etc.? The folks you wanted out are OUT. Give it a rest. I promise your new coach is not concerned about what happened previously.....it's history. He is focused on moving forward one day at a time. Good luck as you move FORWARD.

Link to post
Share on other sites

People keep mentioning that bad habits had developed.   Was that only at the high school level or was it coming up from the youth leagues?   If it was coming up in the system, may take more than a year or 2.   If it was just at the High School level, Highlands should be back soon.

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, 9068 said:

And they played neither Boyle County nor Moeller like last season. How do Bird fans know about helmets, equipment, what happens in the weight room, instant injury reports, etc.? The folks you wanted out are OUT. Give it a rest. I promise your new coach is not concerned about what happened previously.....it's history. He is focused on moving forward one day at a time. Good luck as you move FORWARD.

People ask questions. Just giving them answers and unfortunately those answers involve looking back to what caused the problem. Nobody likes throwing people under the bus, but if you want the truth……..well….. you get it sometimes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, The Raven said:

People keep mentioning that bad habits had developed.   Was that only at the high school level or was it coming up from the youth leagues?   If it was coming up in the system, may take more than a year or 2.   If it was just at the High School level, Highlands should be back soon.

Perhaps a little of both to be honest.  The biggest issue this year and for last several has been tackling to me.  Way back in the day, one was taught to get their head across, wrap arms and bring to ground.  Then when I was coaching it evolved to tackling high with your chest plate out and head back.  Now going back to tackling lower on the body.  Also there was little to no live tackling at practices and the result is guys who don’t know how to break down and make a tackle in open field.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using the site you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use Policies.