Covington Catholic at Highlands Predictions/Updates

Who wins?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Covington Catholic
    • Highlands

10 hours ago, Jack of all Trades said:

Nice work.  Never noticed how much CovCath helmets changed versus Highlands helmets.

I am going to assume in 1973 somehow someone forgot to order the decals for the Colonels helmets.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To lose a brother is a big deal. To lose 2 brothers in 2 months is unreal. Please pray for the Eviston family. They are good people and even though they knew this day was coming it won’t make it any e

Coach Eviston's older brother Brian passed away yesterday. Brian had a brave battle with ALS that stood as an inspiration to hundreds of families and individuals in the New Cath, Cov Cath, and Highlan

So incredibly sad for the Eviston family. Prayers to Eddie and family. It is almost surreal that it just so happens to be Highlands week as the Eviston brothers grew up in Fort Thomas will still so ma

Posted Images

6 hours ago, cincyswords said:

I am going to assume in 1973 somehow someone forgot to order the decals for the Colonels helmets.

Honestly, I think it was probably intentional. 1973 was Fred Bernier's first year as head coach. He came from Miami Trace up in Washington Courthouse, Ohio, and his teams there played with blank, solid gold/yellow helmets. Prior to that he was an assistant under Owen Hauck at Mt. Healthy, Ohio where the teams played with a plain red helmet. And before that he was an assistant at Lloyd Memorial under Roy Lucas in an era where Lloyd played in solid yellow helmets with white/blue stripes down the middle. I know the helmets at Bellevue were already just yellow with black player numbers from Bill Baldridge and George Adams who preceded him there, but again, they remained a very plain design when Bernier was there as head coach starting in 1979. I think they only had one season under Bernier where they had anything other than just plain black player numbers.

I just don't really think helmet designs/decals were anything high on Coach Bernier's priority list. Assistant Coach Tim Hobbs always seemed to be the one who nerded out a little more on the unis...he was in charge of the equipment at Cov Cath under Coach Bernier and Coach Ray both.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Honestly, I think it was probably intentional. 1973 was Fred Bernier's first year as head coach. He came from Miami Trace up in Washington Courthouse, Ohio, and his teams there played with blank, solid gold/yellow helmets. Prior to that he was an assistant under Owen Hauck at Mt. Healthy, Ohio where the teams played with a plain red helmet. And before that he was an assistant at Lloyd Memorial under Roy Lucas in an era where Lloyd played in solid yellow helmets with white/blue stripes down the middle. I know the helmets at Bellevue were already just yellow with black player numbers from Bill Baldridge and George Adams who preceded him there, but again, they remained a very plain design when Bernier was there as head coach starting in 1979. I think they only had one season under Bernier where they had anything other than just plain black player numbers.

I just don't really think helmet designs/decals were anything high on Coach Bernier's priority list. Assistant Coach Tim Hobbs always seemed to be the one who nerded out a little more on the unis...he was in charge of the equipment at Cov Cath under Coach Bernier and Coach Ray both.

Great stuff!  I love the historical items.  

• Thanks 1

Coach Eviston's older brother Brian passed away yesterday. Brian had a brave battle with ALS that stood as an inspiration to hundreds of families and individuals in the New Cath, Cov Cath, and Highlands communities.

Eddie and Brian's younger brother Sean also just passed away on August 10th.

This has to be a really, REALLY hard time for Coach Eviston. I've definitely got his entire family in my prayers.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4
35 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Coach Eviston's older brother Brian passed away yesterday. Brian had a brave battle with ALS that stood as an inspiration to hundreds of families and individuals in the New Cath, Cov Cath, and Highlands communities.

This has to be a really, REALLY hard time for Coach Eviston. I've definitely got his entire family in my prayers.

So incredibly sad for the Eviston family. Prayers to Eddie and family. It is almost surreal that it just so happens to be Highlands week as the Eviston brothers grew up in Fort Thomas will still so many ties to the community. I do look forward to seeing if HHS or the football program will do anything to honor Brian Eviston and Eddie on Friday night, as even a small gesture would go a long way.  

I do not know if Coach Eviston will be coaching Friday night as I can’t imagine all that he is having to deal with right now, but I know the Colonels have one of the greatest fans up in Heaven this week. I also hope some of Brian’s last words to Eddie after all the “I Love You’s” were “Beat Highlands”

To the Eviston family, we are all thinking of you and praying for you. Brian was a warrior, he fought the good fight, he finished the race, and he is now free of his earthly pain. God speed to the Evistons as they mourn yet another loss. 

• Like 6
59 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Prayers are with their family!

1 hour ago, TheConch said:

So incredibly sad for the Eviston family. Prayers to Eddie and family. It is almost surreal that it just so happens to be Highlands week as the Eviston brothers grew up in Fort Thomas will still so many ties to the community. I do look forward to seeing if HHS or the football program will do anything to honor Brian Eviston and Eddie on Friday night, as even a small gesture would go a long way.  

I do not know if Coach Eviston will be coaching Friday night as I can’t imagine all that he is having to deal with right now, but I know the Colonels have one of the greatest fans up in Heaven this week. I also hope some of Brian’s last words to Eddie after all the “I Love You’s” were “Beat Highlands”

To the Eviston family, we are all thinking of you and praying for you. Brian was a warrior, he fought the good fight, he finished the race, and he is now free of his earthly pain. God speed to the Evistons as they mourn yet another loss. 

I am sure Highlands being the class act they are will certainly hold a moment of silence for Eddie’s brother.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Jack of all Trades said:

That thing was dormant for quite some time.

Cov Cath has actually continued printing a new batch of those shirts every couple of years ever since they were first made for the '97 football season. Realistically speaking, I would assume they just kind of drifted out of Highlands' attention during the '07-'15 Birds win stretch.

13 minutes ago, Jack of all Trades said:

I am sure Highlands being the class act they are will certainly hold a moment of silence for Eddie’s brother.

I'm assuming the same. Cov Cath football alum Artie Steinmetz died in November '98, the week of the playoff game between Cov Cath and Highlands in Fort Thomas, and Highlands held a moment of silence at that game as well. It was a top class move.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, TheConch said:

To lose a brother is a big deal. To lose 2 brothers in 2 months is unreal. Please pray for the Eviston family. They are good people and even though they knew this day was coming it won’t make it any easier.  

I hope Highlands will do something at the game to honor a great man and his family who fought the good fight.  They did their part to raise a lot of money for others in the same boat. 

Result of this one really doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of things. Go hug your siblings!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
On 10/13/2021 at 8:10 PM, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

FBnlFscXIAEp6Y6.jpg

FBnlF-jWYAg4_aS.jpg

Very cool

1988-2010 was the best look both teams. I like the 68 flying bird silhouette and the 78mean colonel head as well but they never met.