Male vs John Curtis (LA) October 1 Game Cancelled

According to a Jason Frakes Louisville Courier Journal September 11th article, Male's game at John Curtis High School in New Orleans has been canceled as of last Friday.  In the article, Covid-19 concerns on top of the recent Hurricane Ida aftermath made the game "impractical" according to Male AD John Kelsey.

John Curtis has yet to play a game this season due to the Hurricane and currently doesn't have a facility to play a game along with the fact that Male would have a difficult time finding hotel rooms that now hurricane responders need..  Male is searching for a new opponent to fill that scheduling void.

These events remind us there is more going on than just football for these schools in the Hurricane impacted areas.  I can't imagine and I certainly hope things improve for the whole Hurricane impacted area.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
10 minutes ago, LongTimeReader said:

Saw the article in the Courier Journal about it; there was comment that John Curtis might try to make plans to play the game at Male, but don't know how much traction that plan has.  

If that were to happen, it would be a great opportunity to host some people needing to take their mind of life for a while. I'm sure Male would take care of them. 

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, LongTimeReader said:

Saw the article in the Courier Journal about it; there was comment that John Curtis might try to make plans to play the game at Male, but don't know how much traction that plan has.  

6 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

If that were to happen, it would be a great opportunity to host some people needing to take their mind of life for a while. I'm sure Male would take care of them. 

If John Curtis wants to play this would be ideal and I agree Male would take good care of them.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, theguru said:

If John Curtis wants to play this would be ideal and I agree Male would take good care of them.

If John Curtis hasn't played a game yet this season, why would this be beneficial for anyone? Male is four games in! The JC players flying to Kentucky to play their 1st game? Who exactly does this benefit? This won't be a good test for Male. John Curtis is likely not in game shape and risks injuries... 

Reschedule for next season and keep it moving. That's odd to me that people would say this game should still be played, knowing the conditions that led to its cancellation.

• Confused 1
4 minutes ago, Hungover_in_Andover said:

If John Curtis hasn't played a game yet this season, why would this be beneficial for anyone? Male is four games in! The JC players flying to Kentucky to play their 1st game? Who exactly does this benefit? This won't be a good test for Male. John Curtis is likely not in game shape and risks injuries... 

Reschedule for next season and keep it moving. That's odd to me that people would say this game should still be played, knowing the conditions that led to its cancellation.

You have to start somewhere and in short I just want to see all high school athletes get an opportunity. 

• Like 3
33 minutes ago, theguru said:

You have to start somewhere and in short I just want to see all high school athletes get an opportunity. 

I love the getting an opportunity part for John Curtis. And yes, you want them to play. But flying out to likely get beat, not so much that part. Not when it doesn't amount to much more than a glorified scrimmage, IMO in light of the circumstances. 

• Confused 1
46 minutes ago, Hungover_in_Andover said:

I bet you're fun at parties. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
Just now, Kanaka Kahakai said:

Now it's far fetched, not even sure it's even possibly being one team is in a higher class... but since Male and LCA has October 1st open, can this game be a possibility?

If ever LCA was going to play Male this would be the year. 

• Like 2