Beechwood at Paintsville Predictions/Updates

Who wins?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Beechwood
    • Paintsville

Week two brings us a battle of Tigers. The defending 2A state champion Beechwood Tigers go on the road again in week two traveling this week to face the defending 1A state champion Paintsville Tigers. Beechwood enters this game at 1-0 after putting the power of their program on full display in a 35-0 mauling of 5A Fairdale in week one. Paintsville also was on the road last week traveling to 1A #1 Pikeville where they took one on the chin in a 43-21 loss. There are very, very few football programs in the state with a winning record over Beechwood in this century but Paintsville is one of them. In their only meeting this century, Paintsville won a somewhat controversial game played at Georgetown, taking a 19-14 win after Beechwood's late go ahead TD was disallowed due to what many  Beechwood followers would claim was a suspect holding penalty. That win gives Paintsville a 1-0 record over Beechwood since 2000. The last time these two met before that 2019 game was in the 1998 playoffs with Beechwood winning 39-8. 

Beechwood was dominating in their win over Fairdale. The Beechwood defense was totally suffocating with gang tackling happening play after play. Beechwood DE Xavier Campbell led the way applying non stop pressure and showing his speed as he chased down Fairdale's fast skill players on more than one play. Campbell is a player to keep your eye on. LB Austin Waddell also had an impressive performance for the Beechwood defense. On the offensive side, Beechwood showed a potent running game. RB Avery Courtney is very elusive. QB Cam Hergott in the open field is as dangerous as any player in the state. He will make tacklers miss, change directions and then explode for long gains. He looked like the fastest player on the field in the Fairdale game. 

Paintsville hung tough in their road trip to Pikeville. They trailed 15-6 at halftime but as the game wore on, Pikeville pulled away. This game was moved ahead in the schedule from September 3 at the last minute when Paintsville and Pikeville both team had opponents cancel their regularly scheduled games due to COVID. First year head coach Trevor Hoskins leads Paintsville, replacing Joe Chirico who left Paintsville to take the reigns at George Rogers Clark. Paintsville has their program rolling winning 10 games or more for 7 straight years. The only year of Chirico's tenure that Paintsville didn't win 10 games was 2013, his first year there when the Tigers went 8-4. Junior RB Harris Phelps is the offensive standout. He was the MVP in last year's title game rushing for 221 yards. The new QB is Junior Frederick James. He showed no jitters in his first start scoring the first TD of the season for Paintsville last week.

Can Beechwood make the long drive and avenge their 2019 loss against Paintsville? What should we expect in this matchup of defending state champions?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Jason Bucklen said:

This was one of the many playoff matchups these two teams had in the late 80’s to mid 90’s.  This is one of the craziest games I have been to with what happened at the end. Beechwood was down 19-0 at halftime then came back to win 20-19. 

Guru were you coaching at that time? 

Paintsville is a notoriously difficult venue to play your best football. During Chirico's tenure, the only opponent I can recall going into Memorial Field and whipping the home team was LCA a couple of years ago. 

Beechwood should run away with this game, but every time I tune into a Paintsville home game against a quality opponent, there seems to be more questionable calls than all other games I watch, combined. And the flow of the game gets muddled to the point where it's not easy to get separation. Then add in the fact that Paintsville can play. They're not a pushover.

I'll take Beechwood for the win, but it might not be as comfortable or impressive on the scoreboard as they'd like.

7 minutes ago, DevilMayCare said:

Paintsville is a notoriously difficult venue to play your best football. During Chirico's tenure, the only opponent I can recall going into Memorial Field and whipping the home team was LCA a couple of years ago. 

Beechwood should run away with this game, but every time I tune into a Paintsville home game against a quality opponent, there seems to be more questionable calls than all other games I watch, combined. And the flow of the game gets muddled to the point where it's not easy to get separation. Then add in the fact that Paintsville can play. They're not a pushover.

I'll take Beechwood for the win, but it might not be as comfortable or impressive on the scoreboard as they'd like.

One of my Pikeville friends said it’s hard to play down there. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jason Bucklen said:

One of my Pikeville friends said it’s hard to play down there. 

If we had any Pikeville or Raceland fans around here, they could probably tell some tales to get Beechwood folks prepared for this experience. 

Hopefully I'm wrong and it's a clean, competitive game and the teams are allowed to just play.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DevilMayCare said:

If we had any Pikeville or Raceland fans around here, they could probably tell some tales to get Beechwood folks prepared for this experience. 

Hopefully I'm wrong and it's a clean, competitive game and the teams are allowed to just play.

Yeah hopefully as well. But we all know Beechwood, Cov Cath, and Highlands aren’t liked in some parts of the mountains. 

Some of the stuff the Hazard fans said to us back 1993 when we played them in the regular season down there those fans should have been ashamed of themselves for what they said to us. 

But we got the last laugh when we 3peated and they got knocked out in the third round by Pikeville. 

Edited by Jason Bucklen