• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

San Francisco, who has the best record in baseball, has used 28.  The Brewers have also used 29.   With no only a 60 game season last year, and no minor league season, it was a given that teams w

First of all, some of us have to get in today’s world.  There are no dynasties in baseball anymore and there are not going to be because of free agency.  The Reds have more than enough to compete if t

Reds closer worse than Twins closer (who was BAD) in this loss.  Larkin continues to try to put earrings on these stinky late inning pigs. It looks like the Twins are conceding a win to the Reds

Posted Images

MJ,

I was in Washington, Philly, and Baltimore this past week, and vendors were up and down the isle's, I can not believe they are not letting you guys.  However those parks were so busy that I would definitely stop and get one from you rather than wait in line.  Hope you are rocking them this weekend with the Birds in town!!

• Like 1

Another totally miserable exhibition of "Major League" pitching in the series finale, and throughout the Cardinals series.  The two teams are mirror images of each other.  These are not your Pujols era Cardinals.  Both have some effective offensive players, who can defend and hit, but unfortunately for we who have to suffer through this cesspool of pitching incompetence on a daily basis, it should be a total inacceptable level of MLB quality baseball.  IF this is the new level of acceptable performance and the fans are willing to pay top dollar to witness such incompetence, then the sport has truly reached a new low ebb and as it appears - we are stuck with it. 

Do we credit our teams for scratching, clawing, and battling back in games where the honest answer is that we've simply taken advantage of our opponent's inability to make pitches, throw strikes, and get batters out, and their returning the same favors??? 

IF you can shut out the pitching abomination, there are bright spots.  India keeps plugging away and getting good results.  Tyler Stephenson is proving that he is one of the leagues best contact hitters.  Votto, our resident prima donna, is making offensive (and defensive) contribution in his old age, and when Castellanos returns, I fully expect that he will pick up right where he left off.  Right there are enough guys to make an impact with the others hitting .250 and win some games, if only the relief corps weren't giving away the store.  Even Barry Larkin, in between talking about Hawaiian shirts and his dogs, is beginning to put out some honest verbiage about the sad state of affairs in the Reds bullpen and front office. 

The really sad part about all of this is that there is no solution to our problems.  There are too many teams, too few quality pitchers, and too many managers who feel that you need to use 8 pitchers every game.  So it is what it is, but we don't have to like it. 

9 hours ago, 8th Region Warrior said:

MJ,

I was in Washington, Philly, and Baltimore this past week, and vendors were up and down the isle's, I can not believe they are not letting you guys.  However those parks were so busy that I would definitely stop and get one from you rather than wait in line.  Hope you are rocking them this weekend with the Birds in town!!

It was a great/lucrative weekend for me, so no complaints anymore. But yeah idk.

52 minutes ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

Ok, I’ve defended him in the past but I give up on Aquino, he is just absolutely terrible!!

Earlier this season I described him as a slug.  He's a slug.

Eight Aquinos in the lineup and you've got the Pittsburgh Pirates - Not at all a "Championship Caliber" player.  

46 minutes ago, Jack of all Trades said:

And Votto is raking right now.

Yes, Votto has been smoking but he just got caught loafing on the bases again, if he runs hard he beats the play at 2nd easily!!

Someone needs to tell Bell that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again (Brach, Osich, Hembree, Garrett), and expecting different results.

Another sad exhibition of our new "Major League" Baseball.  A four hour nine-inning game, nearly 25 hits, innings ending with bases loaded and double-figure pitchers used.

You can't make this abomination up.

12 hours ago, Mustang said:

Someone needs to tell Bell that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again (Brach, Osich, Hembree, Garrett), and expecting different results.

Another sad exhibition of our new "Major League" Baseball.  A four hour nine-inning game, nearly 25 hits, innings ending with bases loaded and double-figure pitchers used.

You can't make this abomination up.

Who else would you like Bell to use?

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, brown4 said:

Therein lies the problem as I have been saying.  Reds are waiting for guys to return and hoping they are still in the race.  I would still like to see them bring up Greene and Lodolo, but we all know why that will not happen.  Need a bounce back effort the next three games if for no other reason than to put Baez and the Cubs in their place.  If he is not suspended for 7 games then baseball front office has some problems.

8 hours ago, brown4 said:

I'm against the revolving door, new pitcher each inning, mentality.  If a guy is getting the job done, it should be his for as long as he is effective.

Too often this year a pitcher will come in, sit down the opponents in order, and be replaced in the very next inning.  With a porous bullpen such as Cincinnati's, somebody is going to have a bad inning, and they normally do.   I'm not a bit in favor of running eight different pitchers out there, often in back-to-back games.  

8 hours ago, brown4 said:

Suarez and Aquino hit like pitchers, so maybe they can pitch?

Sorry, I just realized I insulted pitchers all over the world. Lol

• Haha 1
19 hours ago, Mustang said:

I'm against the revolving door, new pitcher each inning, mentality.  If a guy is getting the job done, it should be his for as long as he is effective.

Too often this year a pitcher will come in, sit down the opponents in order, and be replaced in the very next inning.  With a porous bullpen such as Cincinnati's, somebody is going to have a bad inning, and they normally do.   I'm not a bit in favor of running eight different pitchers out there, often in back-to-back games.  

There's a couple of issues with your philosophy.  First, if you've brought your bullpen in during a close game, and you want them to go as long as they are effective, do you leave them in to hit and give up an out in a close game? Or, do you go ahead and double switch right off of the bat and possibly have to take out one of your best hitters?  

Also, I think it's obvious to everyone now, that the Reds lacked depth in the bullpen and didn't have many relievers that should be used in high leverage situations.  So, do you go with one of those options for 2-3 innings for one game and then have to trust the rest of the pen for the 1-2 days that they'll have to have off?  Or would you rather have that high leverage guys for 3 games in a row?  

It isn't as simple as just letting them pitch until they lose effectiveness.  Hopefully the additions to the bullpen will give them a couple more options that they can trust. 

• Like 1