Jump to content
THUNDERBIRDS

Highlands is looking for a Strength and Conditioning Coach

Recommended Posts

I love that the District is finally creating this position. It will be a Huge asset to the School to have someone in the Building to work with the Kids/Players on a daily basis. We have the Facilities......Why not utilizes it!

Go Birds!

 

https://fortthomas.tedk12.com/hire/index.aspx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I read the listing on the KHSAA's site, I couldn't tell whether or not the job was going to be during school hours or outside of school hours. So I'm assuming "some mornings" mean's "some mornings during school hours" then?

 

Highlands— Job Title: Strength & Conditioning Coordinator

Seeking strength and conditioning coordinator to facilitate strength and conditioning programs for all Freshmen, Junior Varsity, and Varsity Athletic Programs at Highlands High School. This is a part-time position with hours being after school and some mornings. If interested please apply at https://fortthomas.tedk12.com/hire/Index.aspx


Contact: Wes Caldwell wes.caldwell@fortthomas.kyschools.us

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

When I read the listing on the KHSAA's site, I couldn't tell whether or not the job was going to be during school hours or outside of school hours. So I'm assuming "some mornings" mean's "some mornings during school hours" then?

 

Highlands— Job Title: Strength & Conditioning Coordinator

Seeking strength and conditioning coordinator to facilitate strength and conditioning programs for all Freshmen, Junior Varsity, and Varsity Athletic Programs at Highlands High School. This is a part-time position with hours being after school and some mornings. If interested please apply at https://fortthomas.tedk12.com/hire/Index.aspx


Contact: Wes Caldwell wes.caldwell@fortthomas.kyschools.us

I believe that the mornings would be for football workouts that are before school.

Although this is a huge step in the right direction, I was hoping that the position would be full-time and during the school day so that student-athletes could take the class during the day to lift then go to practices after school; I know when Mr. Caldwell presented the position to the BOE, that was what he was hoping for but they didn't bite. 

There are a growing number of schools around the state (a ton already do it around the country) that have a strength and conditioning class during the day and have had huge success. My hope is that his position developed into that. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know he has been mentioned several times but hopefully Jordan Nevels applies for and gets this position. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, theguru said:

I know he has been mentioned several times but hopefully Jordan Nevels applies for and gets this position. 

I hope he does as well; the players would really benefit from him.  That is why I was disappointed that the position was not full-time.  I honestly do not know if financially it would be worth Jordan's time. The pay on the position hasn't been posted, at least not anywhere I have seen, but I would be shocked if this position pays more than 10K a year; I would say probably more like 5-7K. I would imagine he can make a lot more than that doing her personal training stuff during that time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ll be interested to see how this works out, training all sports, is going to be a challenge. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, FLYGUY said:

I’ll be interested to see how this works out, training all sports, is going to be a challenge. 

It would definitely be a full time job. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

P/T isn’t going to do it.  I am in the camp that Jordan can’t consider it based on pay and what he currently makes.  I applaud the thought but I too think this is a missed opportunity.  The boys would love to have a class period for work.  This should be a full-time position and many student athletes would benefit.  Those are my thoughts.  Something is better than nothing but having the vision to see the value is missed.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Bird Bath said:

P/T isn’t going to do it.  I am in the camp that Jordan can’t consider it based on pay and what he currently makes.  I applaud the thought but I too think this is a missed opportunity.  The boys would love to have a class period for work.  This should be a full-time position and many student athletes would benefit.  Those are my thoughts.  Something is better than nothing but having the vision to see the value is missed.

Look at us, agreeing on things haha 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

I hope he does as well; the players would really benefit from him.  That is why I was disappointed that the position was not full-time.  I honestly do not know if financially it would be worth Jordan's time. The pay on the position hasn't been posted, at least not anywhere I have seen, but I would be shocked if this position pays more than 10K a year; I would say probably more like 5-7K. I would imagine he can make a lot more than that doing her personal training stuff during that time. 

His* personal training stuff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's really Sad the new coach won't let kids be kids and play Extracurricular Sports, such as 7v7 Football. Is being very controlling of the kids from what I have heard.

So I am guessing who ever wants a low paying part time job as strength coach will have to be willing to do whatever he is told. Not gonna be an easy find.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brcatz said:

It's really Sad the new coach won't let kids be kids and play Extracurricular Sports, such as 7v7 Football. Is being very controlling of the kids from what I have heard.

So I am guessing who ever wants a low paying part time job as strength coach will have to be willing to do whatever he is told. Not gonna be an easy find.  

Maybe its just the new coach trying to instill a different culture where he wants kids committed to the program 100% and wants to have fun winning.....and not a program where kids have fun getting beat!  I have no problem if he is creating a culture that he is trying to limit other extracurricular sports.....as long as he is up front with this idea and doesn’t hide from it, these kids will know what they are buying into.

I remember there was a HUGE culture change when we went from Eicher to Duffy......A lot of people were up in arms of the dictatorship that Duffy had instead of the everybody suit up and 90 players on the sidelines.

2 years into it came a State Title (1989) first one since when, 1982?

#1MARCH

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, FrankNicodemus said:

Maybe its just the new coach trying to instill a different culture where he wants kids committed to the program 100% and wants to have fun winning.....and not a program where kids have fun getting beat!  I have no problem if he is creating a culture that he is trying to limit other extracurricular sports.....as long as he is up front with this idea and doesn’t hide from it, these kids will know what they are buying into.

I remember there was a HUGE culture change when we went from Eicher to Duffy......A lot of people were up in arms of the dictatorship that Duffy had instead of the everybody suit up and 90 players on the sidelines.

2 years into it came a State Title (1989) first one since when, 1982?

#1MARCH

Wait...now...we can all argue the finer points of whether or not Coach Sphire's aggressive approach is good, bad, or whatever.

But, haven't we hit a point - especially considering what we know NOW about Coach Duffy - that we can look back and agree, despite the success, he wasn't the best for the kids of that era? I mean, is winning everything when you're balancing abuse/manipulation with success? 

As you noted, Coach Sphire's current mandates may be a "its time to right the ship" approach, but pulling Tom Duffy into this dicussion and using his success - while he doing god knows what - probably isn't an appropriate comparison.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, FLYGUY said:

I’ll be interested to see how this works out, training all sports, is going to be a challenge. 

There's no way you can do all sports only working part time. Definitely not in an effective manner. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FrankNicodemus said:

Maybe its just the new coach trying to instill a different culture where he wants kids committed to the program 100% and wants to have fun winning.....and not a program where kids have fun getting beat!  I have no problem if he is creating a culture that he is trying to limit other extracurricular sports.....as long as he is up front with this idea and doesn’t hide from it, these kids will know what they are buying into.

I remember there was a HUGE culture change when we went from Eicher to Duffy......A lot of people were up in arms of the dictatorship that Duffy had instead of the everybody suit up and 90 players on the sidelines.

2 years into it came a State Title (1989) first one since when, 1982?

#1MARCH

I agree with change or a different culture. I'm just saying he was the Only coach in NKY that didn't allow kids to participate in this extracurricular program. Kids trying to gain exposure and learn from an NFL veteran sounds like a win win for all involved. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using the site you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use Policies.