Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
The Raven

Kenton County Golf Course

Recommended Posts

I was driving with my daughter to go to Lincoln Ridge Park, on Independence Station Rd.   Along part of that drive are some holes from the KC Golf course.   These are, at this time, unkept and overgrown.   Does anyone know what's up with that?   Is that no longer a part of the Golf Course?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they are no longer using part of the course and turning it more into walking trails and what not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kenton County has abandoned Fox Run.  It now only consists of the Willows and Pioneer courses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, The Raven said:

I was driving with my daughter to go to Lincoln Ridge Park, on Independence Station Rd.   Along part of that drive are some holes from the KC Golf course.   These are, at this time, unkept and overgrown.   Does anyone know what's up with that?   Is that no longer a part of the Golf Course?

Fox Run is now a public park.  The cart paths are now walking trails.  The lake is open to fishing.  They host high school cross country meets there in the fall.  The county has been doing surveys and such with the public on ideas for the park.  There's talk about it connecting to the trails in Lincoln Ridge.  As someone who lives right next to it, I'm glad is a park and not another subdivision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nkypete said:

Kenton County has abandoned Fox Run.  It now only consists of the Willows and Pioneer courses.

I realized that I worded my comment badly.  "Fox Run is no longer a golf course" would have been better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, nkypete said:

I realized that I worded my comment badly.  "Fox Run is no longer a golf course" would have been better.

I would argue it hasn’t been a golf course for quite some time. An exercise in frustration, and needlessly hard, it was not very much fun when it was a used as a golf course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

I would argue it hasn’t been a golf course for quite some time. An exercise in frustration, and needlessly hard, it was not very much fun when it was a used as a golf course.

I played on it once and it was hard.  When it was first built, wasn't it supposed to be some sort of a championship course for future tournaments?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, nkypete said:

I played on it once and it was hard.  When it was first built, wasn't it supposed to be some sort of a championship course for future tournaments?

I don’t know the history behind it. I know they always tried to hype it as a premier golf challenge. But there were often condition issues, and the difficulty always seemed forced. Lots of side hill lies after what should have been good shots, too many forced carries. I don’t mind a hard course. But Fox Run seemed to be made difficult by the bad elements of golf course design.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

I don’t know the history behind it. I know they always tried to hype it as a premier golf challenge. But there were often condition issues, and the difficulty always seemed forced. Lots of side hill lies after what should have been good shots, too many forced carries. I don’t mind a hard course. But Fox Run seemed to be made difficult by the bad elements of golf course design.

After playing it and paying big bucks, I knew that with my level of game (which is a bit below average), I had no desire to play it again.  I'm happy with the other courses near me (Willows and Pioneer at Kenton County and Twin Oaks in Latonia). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, nkypete said:

After playing it and paying big bucks, I knew that with my level of game (which is a bit below average), I had no desire to play it again.  I'm happy with the other courses near me (Willows and Pioneer at Kenton County and Twin Oaks in Latonia). 

I really like Willows and Pioneer too, and have been a season pass member at Kenton County off and on over the years. Fox Run had potential. But the way the course was designed, they focused too much on “hard” and not enough on playability. 

I’m actually happy that Fox Run is now open as a park. I was aware that was the plan for the space, but wasn’t aware it was open. Definitely needed another spot for walking in the area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rjs4470 said:

I really like Willows and Pioneer too, and have been a season pass member at Kenton County off and on over the years. Fox Run had potential. But the way the course was designed, they focused too much on “hard” and not enough on playability. 

I’m actually happy that Fox Run is now open as a park. I was aware that was the plan for the space, but wasn’t aware it was open. Definitely needed another spot for walking in the area.

I will check it out for walking.  I usually walk at Pride Park in Taylor Mill or around the Scott High School track.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nkypete said:

I will check it out for walking.  I usually walk at Pride Park in Taylor Mill or around the Scott High School track.

Just remember, there's a reason they didn't let golfers walk the course.  Lol.

I've had numerous neighbors tell me how brutal the walk was, and I just laugh because it's obvious they never played the course.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, nees1212 said:

Just remember, there's a reason they didn't let golfers walk the course.  Lol.

I've had numerous neighbors tell me how brutal the walk was, and I just laugh because it's obvious they never played the course.

 

It will definitely be a little more strenous than other parks like Pride and Pioneer in that area. Still, it will ad to the variety of the walking trails in the area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was nervous as hell when the talks of minimizing the golf course started.  I love what the plans could be.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using the site you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use Policies.