Open Job: Paul Laurence Dunbar

9 hours ago, The Flea Market said:

I hear that Frankie Smith has looked into this position and may be ready for a return to Kentucky?

My source in Florida says he and his wife are happy where they're at. Since Frank Sr. passed, he doesn't really have family up this way.

9 hours ago, LethalPG said:

What has he been doing since his brief stint at Bell County a few years back?

Two years as head coach at Ridge Community HS (FL) outside Orlando. Big school (~3000 students) in a great district. He's also Dean of Students, only teaches one PE class, and his wife teaches there too.

Smith has bounced around a bit after he got out of college coaching (8 yrs. as an AC at Miami U (OH), and 5 yrs. as HC at DII Saginaw Valley St.). At Kentucky HS - 3 yrs. at Sheldon Clark, 2 yrs. at Christian Co., and 2 yrs. at Bell Co.

Not saying he's not qualified for a "Big Program." But he's got a relatively low key coaching job (Florida is not hoops crazy), and a chance to move up in administration. I'd be surprised if the Smiths leave Florida.

5 hours ago, Statsdontlie said:

George Baker should get this job! 

Great player - Two time All-State at Dunbar and an NAIA All-American at Georgetown.

Lower level pro coach in Europe plus AAU coaching in the US. He was 3-16 in his first year at Paris. Does he have any other high school or college coaching experience? He doesn't teach at Paris. Would the PLD job require him to be on staff too? Seems like a pretty big jump.

14 hours ago, Runcible Owl said:

Great player - Two time All-State at Dunbar and an NAIA All-American at Georgetown.

Lower level pro coach in Europe plus AAU coaching in the US. He was 3-16 in his first year at Paris. Does he have any other high school or college coaching experience? He doesn't teach at Paris. Would the PLD job require him to be on staff too? Seems like a pretty big jump.

I would say with almost certainty, that they will definitely want someone who is in the building for this position.  

• Thanks 2

With a STACKED team like he has returning and retires just like that... Of course it will throw 'red flag'. Roster coming back is probably more talented OVERALL (top to bottom) than the one he had in the state championship. I know we can argue that, but IMO only.  

• 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, thegame523 said:

Anyone know if there will be a teaching slot with this position? I know Coach Chalk had already retired from teaching previously. 

With the way FCPS is, the guarantee of a teaching slot isn't 100% especially at this time of the year.

Non-renewals of non-tenured teachers had to be in early last month, so the timing doesn't help them at all.  They will have to fill in a spot with what they have available unless they have a surprise retirement or a teacher moves or transfers.

6 minutes ago, mooremiller31 said:

I have heard interviews are this week.

Thanks that was fast. What's funny of course its Fayette Co. but Bryan Station has hired a coach and that job is still posted and the Dunbar one is already taken down.

21 hours ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

Thanks that was fast. What's funny of course its Fayette Co. but Bryan Station has hired a coach and that job is still posted and the Dunbar one is already taken down.

All Bryan Station has to do is to request that the posting be taken down, it doesnt automatically happen........ Just like when they hired their last basketball coach, the posting was still up a good year or so after he was coaching 😆

• Like 1

A couple rumors going around for this job are Pikeville native and former South Carolina State coach Murray Garvin, as well as Franklin County girls coach Joey Thacker