2021 Master’s Updates/ Discussion

mcpapa

1 hour ago, nkypete said:

Augusta National > Bryson

When I saw him warming up the other day, I thought to myself, what's that old saying?  Drive for show, putt for dough.  Winning at Augusta is not just about being able to hammer it off of a flat, level lie.

30 minutes ago, CincySportsFan said:

When I saw him warming up the other day, I thought to myself, what's that old saying?  Drive for show, putt for dough.  Winning at Augusta is not just about being able to hammer it off of a flat, level lie.

Well, to Bryson's resume, he is supposed to be a good putter too.  Augusta's greens and sloping fairways are a different animal, however.

Several big names didn’t make the cut.  Notably Dustin Johnson, Sergio, Matt Kuchar, Brooks Koepka and Rory McIlroy.  Lots of the usual suspects on the first page of the leaderboard including Jordan Speith and Justin Thomas.    DeChambeau rebounded nicely and is T-17 at one under and six off the lead of Justin Rose, who stalled a bit and had to rally for a round of 72.  Phil made the +3 cut on the number.

One of the more interesting stories is Will Zalatoris. One shot off the lead. 

Another is what could be the resumption of the friendly rivalry between Thomas and Speith.  Thomas has very much had the upper hand for the past few years, but that could be changing. 

Hideki Matsuyama holds on to win by a shot at -10, becoming the first Japanese-born male to win a major.  Rising star Will Zalatoris second at -9; Speith and Schauffle (who tripled the 16th) tie for third at -7.   

11 hours ago, mcpapa said:

Hideki Matsuyama holds on to win by a shot at -10, becoming the first Japanese-born male to win a major.  Rising star Will Zalatoris second at -9; Speith and Schauffle (who tripled the 16th) tie for third at -7.   

It seemed like there were a half dozen people who were/should-have-been in contention, who completely imploded on a hole or two.  My goodness, this was not about someone coming out and taking it...this was about someone simply outlasting the others.

While I am happy for Hideki and what it means for him and his country, the day was not really jam packed with lots of good golf.  Hideki won this tournament Saturday, after the weather delay.

Zalatoris will be interesting to watch over the next several years.  I'm pumping the brakes when anyone says "this guy is going to be around for many, many years".