Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
16thBBall Fan

Baylor 86 Gonzaga 70 (NCAA Championship)

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, DragonFire said:

It’s a big pet peeve of mine when a coach acts like he and his team are above calling timeouts to stop a run. I texted a buddy that Few needed to call timeout when it was 7-0 all of 1:48 into the game. But he gambled that they’d pull out of it on their own and instead they drowned. It was 11-1 when the media break came, and 16-4 when he finally called a timeout of his own. Compare that with Drew who called it to stop a 10-3 run when it went from 19 down to 12 in just under 3 minutes. He knew you don’t mess around with momentum. They went on a 7-2 burst immediately after. 
 

Gonzaga never got closer than the 7 points they trailed by 1:48 into the game. And they only touched being down 7 once more after, when they hit a three to make it 11-4. 

Agree 100%.  WAY too many coaches try to ride it out until a media timeout, and way too often, the damage has been done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, bugatti said:

If UK fans knew their team recruiting rankings were going to be 81, 36, 128, 28, and 9 (last five years per 247) in successive seasons and would heavily rely upon transfers, they would demand the coach's resignation before he could sign on the dotted line.

This was the first title for the state of Texas since 1966 (Texas Western).

You think it’s a fluke win?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scott Drew deserves a ton of credit, his team better prepared both offensively and especially defensively. Took the Zags completely out of their offense and guarded Timme and Suggs to perfection, not to mention taking Kispert completely out of the game. Tip of the hat to the BEST team in the nation.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, John Anthony said:

You think it’s a fluke win?

Hell no, nothing fluky about it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, bugatti said:

Hell no, nothing fluky about it.

Correct again.  Had last year not been wiped out, we could very well be talking back to back. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Baylor bullied Gonzaga, that's what it comes down to for me. I wish I had watched them play more often this season. They had a purpose last night, and they executed it perfectly.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bugatti said:

Hell no, nothing fluky about it.

 

59 minutes ago, mcpapa said:

Correct again.  Had last year not been wiped out, we could very well be talking back to back. 

He has to be on the short list for Mitch then.  I’m not saying it’s happening anytime soon but that’s impressive if he had his squad in position for back-to-back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, John Anthony said:

 

He has to be on the short list for Mitch then.  I’m not saying it’s happening anytime soon but that’s impressive if he had his squad in position for back-to-back.

 I agree Scott Drew should be on the list.  However, look at what Baylor has done the last 10 years in the post season and tell me if that looks like a coach you would want at UK.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gonzaga is 1-11 all time versus Seeds 1-3 in the NCAA Tourney. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tomcats1990 said:

Gonzaga is 1-11 all time versus Seeds 1-3 in the NCAA Tourney. 

Better than I thought. So I guess Few is removed from the UK replacement list now?

You are not going to convince me it doesn't make a difference playing in the WCC. Take Baylor. If you had their same team and put them in the WCC, I believe they would max out at a lower level than they did. It's only natural. It's why I get frustrated every year when Gonzaga goes 10-2 in the per-conference slate, then reels off 18 in a row against the likes of Pepperdine and San Fransisco, yet we get to hear "this year is different."  They get a #1 seed in the west, then bow out early. And its not that I don't think they have a championship caliber team, but going 2-3 months with no challenge comes with its struggles in the long run.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, tcjkbt said:

When is the last time a team dominated the  Final Four like Baylor did?  They were just awesome......in all aspects of the game.    Drew did a great job with this team.

Remember that UK-Georgetown game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, 9068 said:

Remember that UK-Georgetown game?

Vaguely.   Please enlighten me.  Is that where UK hit like  3 out of 34 shots----or was that WVU?  I don't think WVU was in the Final Four though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Teams leading by 10 or more at half in Championship Games are 22-1 all time. We all know who the 1 is don’t we?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bugatti said:

Better than I thought. So I guess Few is removed from the UK replacement list now?

You are not going to convince me it doesn't make a difference playing in the WCC. Take Baylor. If you had their same team and put them in the WCC, I believe they would max out at a lower level than they did. It's only natural. It's why I get frustrated every year when Gonzaga goes 10-2 in the per-conference slate, then reels off 18 in a row against the likes of Pepperdine and San Fransisco, yet we get to hear "this year is different."  They get a #1 seed in the west, then bow out early. And its not that I don't think they have a championship caliber team, but going 2-3 months with no challenge comes with its struggles in the long run.

Had this conversation with a buddy earlier... Nobody really considers Gonzaga a mid-major anymore, but they still play in a mid-major conference. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using the site you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use Policies.