Jump to content
theguru

Reds vs. Pirates (4/5 - 4/7)

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, theguru said:

What do you mean?

BallySports is being a real pain in the rear when it comes to contracting to streaming services. They won't agree to contracts with SlingTV, YouTubeTV, Hulu, and I think a couple of other players in streaming game. Basically, you have to have DirectTV or cable if you want to watch the Reds.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, theguru said:

What do you mean?

Bally Sports, owned by Sinclair, is the reason that anyone who streams will not be able to watch Reds game this year (aka people who use YouTube TV, Hulu TV, Playstation Vue and etc.).  Bally Sports took over Fox Sports Ohio.

Essentially Sinclair is creating their own streaming services, which isn't ready yet and may not be until 2022.  When that time comes, you'll have to subscribe to their streaming service to watch the Reds.  In the mean time, you can't if you use any of the streaming services I mentioned above, nor DISH Network.

That is the elementary version because I don't know specific details but that is how it was describe to me.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And from my understanding, this is affecting fans of a lot more teams than just the Reds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yadier Molina is and always be the biggest crybaby in MLB. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

Bally Sports, owned by Sinclair, is the reason that anyone who streams will not be able to watch Reds game this year (aka people who use YouTube TV, Hulu TV, Playstation Vue and etc.).  Bally Sports took over Fox Sports Ohio.

Essentially Sinclair is creating their own streaming services, which isn't ready yet and may not be until 2022.  When that time comes, you'll have to subscribe to their streaming service to watch the Reds.  In the mean time, you can't if you use any of the streaming services I mentioned above, nor DISH Network.

Sinclair Broadcast Group is part-owner of "Bally Sports" along with Bally's Corporation, which is based out of Rhode Island, and owns race tracks and casinos (although not the original Bally's, which was sold to Ceasar's Entertainment). Sinclair brings several Fox Sports regions into the partnership, and Bally's brings in some race tracks, and more importantly, money and connections elsewhere in sports and entertainment via their casino/gambling enterprises to be able to try to get something going against the big streaming players who are trying to control sports broadcasting by killing cable viewership.

The new "Bally Sports" owns a LOT of regional sports markets. Apparently this is the product of Bally Sports trying to go up against Disney, who owns Hulu, and and Google who owns YouTubeTV. Disney and Google are basically telling Bally Sports "we'll pay you this much to be able to stream your teams, and if you don't like it, go kick rocks." 

So this is Sinclair ($385 Mil net worth) + Bally's ($326 Mil net worth) teaming up to try to fight against the likes of Disney ($122 Bil net worth) and Google ($223 Bil net worth). David versus Goliath. The problem is, is David doing irreparable damage to their fanbase by telling any and all who stream view their teams instead of cable or DirectTV that they're just outta luck until the fight against Goliath is over?

I've got to think this is a modern day version of the early 90s, when we went from being able to watch the Reds on regular broadcast television, to having to have cable in order to watch. Also kinda like how Monday Night Football was aired on normal ABC television broadcast from 1970 to 2005, and after 2005 MNF went to ESPN and if you didn't have cable, you weren't watching Monday Night Football.

bally-sportsrsn-mapv1.thumb.jpg.b7444ddebcdd033c7142234278c22ee5.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is weak on the part of Major League Baseball.  Another spineless decision to keep the lesser teams in check.

Next series, Molina wears one and then someone else like Arenado or Goldschmidt.  Like the Reds fire so far.  Playing with a little edge hurts nobody.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

BallySports is being a real pain in the rear when it comes to contracting to streaming services. They won't agree to contracts with SlingTV, YouTubeTV, Hulu, and I think a couple of other players in streaming game. Basically, you have to have DirectTV or cable if you want to watch the Reds.

 

35 minutes ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

Bally Sports, owned by Sinclair, is the reason that anyone who streams will not be able to watch Reds game this year (aka people who use YouTube TV, Hulu TV, Playstation Vue and etc.).  Bally Sports took over Fox Sports Ohio.

Essentially Sinclair is creating their own streaming services, which isn't ready yet and may not be until 2022.  When that time comes, you'll have to subscribe to their streaming service to watch the Reds.  In the mean time, you can't if you use any of the streaming services I mentioned above, nor DISH Network.

That is the elementary version because I don't know specific details but that is how it was describe to me.

Thanks guys.  I still have cable because TV/DVR is really important to me and although it is as expensive as all get out, it still offers a lot of content. 

To the subject, streaming services are great but before you know it we are going to need multiple, multiple services if you have diverse interests and that is going to be really expensive. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jack of all Trades said:

That is weak on the part of Major League Baseball.  Another spineless decision to keep the lesser teams in check.

Next series, Molina wears one and then someone else like Arenado or Goldschmidt.  Like the Reds fire so far.  Playing with a little edge hurts nobody.

As an outsider looking in it looks weak to me too.

I think MLB needs to figure out how to stop anyone from leaving the bench.  A progressive fine system that hurts the players is probably in order. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, theguru said:

 

Thanks guys.  I still have cable because TV/DVR is really important to me and although it is as expensive as all get out, it still offers a lot of content. 

To the subject, streaming services are great but before you know it we are going to need multiple, multiple services if you have diverse interests and that is going to be really expensive. 

To the bolded, you'd love YouTubeTV then.  Except you can't watch Reds games now lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

To the bolded, you'd love YouTubeTV then.  Except you can't watch Reds games now lol

So I have heard.  TV is something I am willing and able to spend extra on so having both for me is not out of the question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey @MJAlltheWay24 are you slinging beers again this year at the Reds games and if so do you have an assigned area?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, theguru said:

Hey @MJAlltheWay24 are you slinging beers again this year at the Reds games and if so do you have an assigned area?

As of right now, there is no vending department for the Cincinnati Reds/Delaware North.  I don't foresee that changing any time soon, unless we get lucky come July.  My only hope of vending at GABP this year will be if they eventually allow vending at FC Cincy games and the Castellini's demand it be allowed at GABP as well.

My best bet on my next vending job will be UC Football and/or Bengals at PBS.  I was asked to work at the KY Derby but unable to make it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

As of right now, there is no vending department for the Cincinnati Reds/Delaware North.  I don't foresee that changing any time soon, unless we get lucky come July.  My only hope of vending at GABP this year will be if they eventually allow vending at FC Cincy games and the Castellini's demand it be allowed at GABP as well.

My best bet on my next vending job will be UC Football and/or Bengals at PBS.  I was asked to work at the KY Derby but unable to make it.

I am sorry buddy.  Please keep us all posted when you get back to work at any and all events. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

And from my understanding, this is affecting fans of a lot more teams than just the Reds.

Over 50% of NHL, NBA, and MLB teams use what is now Bally Sports to broadcast their games.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, nees1212 said:

Over 50% of NHL, NBA, and MLB teams use what is now Bally Sports to broadcast their games.  

Angels
Brewers
Cardinals
Diamondbacks
Indians
Marlins
Padres
Rangers
Rays
Reds
Royals
Tigers
Twins

Sooooooooooo, 43.33% of the MLB 🤣😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using the site you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use Policies.