Jump to content
thunderbuddies4life

Disparity in atmosphere of finals

Recommended Posts

Yesterday as I watched the sweet 16 final is it just me or is the noticeable lack of effort the khsaa puts into creating big time atmosphere for state football finals vs basketball. They had a light show, introductions with pictures of each starter, pump up music,  they always have a professional highlight video played prior to hand that they make up in less than 2 hours. For football they play the same 5 classic  rock songs during each warmup and the teams just run onto the field with the PA guy saying “here comes...” would it hurt to at least bring our some smoke machines or something. They have a full week to get ready why can’t teams submit clips from hudl and the khsaa make a highlight montage of the two teams playing based off the hudl clips they submit. Maybe I’m wrong but I think it’s very noticeable the difference.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you think it is because they are six different games in football whereas there is just one final in basketball? I agree with your request but it might also be easier to produce something for one game compared to a full weekend's worth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe your right about 6 games but how much could it costs to rent four years smoke machines for a couple of days. I’m not expecting the super bowl halftime show just a little something.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have a good point but remember the KHSAA is hurting for money. Unless they got Covid relief they lost a ton last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, gchs_uk9 said:

Do you think it is because they are six different games in football whereas there is just one final in basketball? I agree with your request but it might also be easier to produce something for one game compared to a full weekend's worth.

Nope.  The wrestling community has this same exact discussion every year. And this year, with Covid, it seemed like the KHSAA did everything they could to kill any kind of team/individual celebration, and enforce social distancing. No medals podium, no team presentation of the trophy...basically you got your medal in some back room. And this year, I understand why that would happen. But basketball seems like it was business as usual. I get that the Sweet 16 is the premier event for the KHSAA. But kids in other sports work just as hard, and deserve better than what they are currently getting.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In short, the KHSAA doesn't care about the other championships like it does the Sweet 16. They make that pretty obvious, IMO. This is a great example of it. There's no reason they couldn't do the exact same thing for football. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Sweet 16 is clearly the KHSAA's signature piece of work for the year. And quite honestly, I think they care about it the most. I don't know that anyone at the KHSAA would realistically deny that if they were cornered and asked the question directly - but I they would more than likely try to avoid finding themselves in a situation where they had to.

One thing I think is pretty obvious is that it's just easier to make the kind of deal they make for the basketball finals. The but also I think it's easier to do intros for two teams' starting five than it is for the 11 offensive starters and 11 defensive starters for two separate teams. It's also a lot tougher to dim the lights in an outdoor stadium than it is in an arena.

The other thing (and I'm bracing for blowback here), I think basketball is a sport that has gotten to the point of having a bred in the bone prima donna attitude towards its players. The highlight reels and introductions and high fives to walk out onto the court, fist bumps from all the coaches officials...jeeze...insert my eyeroll every time. Give me a football game where the players just take the freakin' field after the National Anthem. Maybe it's the offensive lineman in me, but I just don't see the need for all of the introduction hype business.

If basketball players and coaches and parents want to have a huge deal made about the kids playing the game, if they need to see a video highlight reel, if they need their names announced just so everyone knows they've walked on the court...cool, let 'em do it. I just don't need it, personally, for football.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

One thing I think is pretty obvious is that it's just easier to make the kind of deal they make for the basketball finals. The but also I think it's easier to do intros for two teams' starting five than it is for the 11 offensive starters and 11 defensive starters for two separate teams. It's also a lot tougher to dim the lights in an outdoor stadium than it is in an arena.

I don't think it's easier to make intros for basketball than it is football, it just doesn't take as long. If that's the reason they don't do it, that's just lazy. They have at least a week to get ready for the football finals, where as in basketball they didn't even know who was playing in the finals nine hours before it happened. 

I'd agree with you on the lights if it weren't for the fact that a lot of football stadiums have gone to the LED lights which are as easy as flipping a switch or initiating a program. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

I don't think it's easier to make intros for basketball than it is football, it just doesn't take as long. If that's the reason they don't do it, that's just lazy. They have at least a week to get ready for the football finals, where as in basketball they didn't even know who was playing in the finals nine hours before it happened. 

I'd agree with you on the lights if it weren't for the fact that a lot of football stadiums have gone to the LED lights which are as easy as flipping a switch or initiating a program. 

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Kroger Field & Cardinal Stadium still both have traditional lights, although they both have LED video screens, and I know at least Kroger Field has a lighted LED video/multimedia band that runs around the perimeter of the second tier of seats. Cov Cath's football stadium was the first stadium in the state of Kentucky (on any level) to have LED lights, and those didn't premier until August of 2017.

To your point, though, half of the state finals football games are played in daylight.  Still, I mean, I guess you can still have a LED light show while the sun is shining, but I don't know what the purpose really is. 😬😬

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Kroger Field & Cardinal Stadium still both have traditional lights, although they both have LED video screens, and I know at least UK has a lighted LED video/multimedia band that runs around the perimeter of the second tier of seats. Cov Cath's football stadium was the first stadium in the state of Kentucky to have LED lights, and those didn't premier until August of 2017.

To your point, though, half of the state finals football games are played in daylight.  Still, I mean, I guess you can still have a LED light show while the sun is shining, but I don't know what the purpose really is. 😬😬

Personally I couldn't care less about the light show, it's more about the intros. They could do more than what they currently do for football. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought that the past 6 football champions that received their trophy in the tunnel underneath Commonwealth Stadium and not on the field was STUPID.  I mean they just played 48 minutes of tackling and being around each other each play.   How is it that Covid is bad only when being handed a trophy and not a football?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Personally I couldn't care less about the light show, it's more about the intros. They could do more than what they currently do for football. 

I can't argue against the fact that they could do more than what they currently do for football, I just personally don't think it's needed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good thread. I don't see any reason kids as starters could not be announced. Surely in the warm up time period starters could be announced and even (a quick highlight of the teams accomplishments of that season that the team could submit or even a highlight video?). I am all for kids getting recognition. If they can throw together a t-shirt with kids names on it to sell at the event surely they could put something basic together.   Probably another topic but I think Kroger is to big a stadium. I would love to see it again at a stadium the size of WKU if possible. These might be some things our coaches representatives could consider on how to address. Hope everyone is having a good off-season. Go Dawgs!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Coach Preston said:

Good thread. I don't see any reason kids as starters could not be announced. Surely in the warm up time period starters could be announced and even (a quick highlight of the teams accomplishments of that season that the team could submit or even a highlight video?). I am all for kids getting recognition. If they can throw together a t-shirt with kids names on it to sell at the event surely they could put something basic together.   Probably another topic but I think Kroger is to big a stadium. I would love to see it again at a stadium the size of WKU if possible. These might be some things our coaches representatives could consider on how to address. Hope everyone is having a good off-season. Go Dawgs!!

I thought WKU was perfect for the Kentucky High School Football Finals but I also remember some scheduling conflicts that made WKU unworkable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, theguru said:

I thought WKU was perfect for the Kentucky High School Football Finals but I also remember some scheduling conflicts that made WKU unworkable. 

 

33 minutes ago, theguru said:

I thought WKU was perfect for the Kentucky High School Football Finals but I also remember some scheduling conflicts that made WKU unworkable. 

WKU should never host the finals again!!

They put teams in batting cages with no running water as a locker room!! Absolute joke to be rewarded for a trip to a state finals and to be put in a batting cage with a 10 minute walk to the field as your reward. UK should be the host for as long as they can accommodate it. I can promise you, once on the field, the kids could care less how empty the stadium may look, it’s all about the experience!

Lexington is so much more convenient for the majority of the state than Bowling Green.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using the site you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use Policies.