Highlands vs. McCracken County (Sweet 16® Quarterfinals) Predictions/Updates

Who: Highlands Bluebirds (24-4) out of the 9th Region vs. McCracken County Mustangs (23-6) out of the 1st Region 

What: Quarterfinals of the Kentucky Boys Sweet 16®

Where: Rupp Arena

When: Friday, April 2 at 8:00

This game gets the Prime Time treatment being scheduled for Friday night at 8:00. 

Can the Highlands Bluebirds keep it up with their lights out shooting? 

Will McCracken’s length, and decent 3 point shooting of their own pose any trouble for the Bluebirds?

Will the Bluebirds’ speed trouble the Mustangs? 

Is Sam Vinson for Highlands the player of destiny for this year’s Sweet 16® that he boldly hinted to be in the first round against Muhlenberg County? 

What are your thoughts on this game?

Who wins?

Why?

McCracken has the same problems as everyone who plays Highlands this year.

1.  Can you contain Sam without helping off their shooters?  If you can, you have a chance.

2.  Are you comfortable playing and scoring at a breakneck pace.  If you can, you have a chance.

I’ll take the birds by 7.

I like Highlands bc I think their play in a bigger arena trumps a slow down type of team philosophy. Granted McCracken Co slowed down Bullit East but they didnt have the plethora of shooting weapons that Highlands brings. The rims were kind for Highlands at Rupp lets keep it going.

GO BIRDS!!!

I’d hope teams go back and watch how CCH slowed down Vinson throughout his career, you have to have an athletic in your face defender that won’t play soft(Disken,Stocks).Somebody that can stay in front of him but also rough him up and keep him from his spots. After that you have to have great team defense with length, play the gaps and close out on shooters. Take a step closer to your guy than you normally would and sacrifice some of your help defense. Just a few of my observations watching him live through the years. It’s So much easier said than done, kid is way more athletic than gets credit for and has such a feel for the game. The impact and control of the game he has in second to none!! He could be playing at a level higher than NKU in my opinion.

3 hours ago, GoBucks97 said:

Highlands will be playing on Sunday, and I’d expect to see Ballard. Which I think is the only team with a guy that can somewhat slow him down(Gabe Sisk). 

Finals are tomorrow and I think that they have to get past McCracken County and Ashland Blazer first.