Sign in to follow this  
nkypete

NFL adopts 17 game regular season

47 minutes ago, CincySportsFan said:

Just to play devil's advocate here on a couple of points...

1) Just because the agreement was passed, doesn't mean that all players voted in favor of it.  Heck, the numbers I just looked up said it was 1,019 "yes" and 959 "no" votes.  That's a slim margin.  

2) Each year, there are players coming into the league who didn't even get to vote on it.  Yes, they know what the situation is beforehand...but, it doesn't mean you have to like it.  And shoot, they may even be out of the league before the next agreement comes up for negotiation.

3) Contract-shmontract.  If the NFL wants the players to honor the CBA contract...how about the teams honor their individual contracts given to players.  Don't tell me you signed a guy for 5 years, $75 million...when you can turn around and walk away from it darn near scott free anytime you want. Until they're all 100% guaranteed, they're not contracts...they're reservations (with very little penalty for cancelling them).  

I am not anti-player and I'm certainly not pro-ownership.  However, when players take to the media to complain, it shows them in a bad light to the public.  I, like many others, am an "at will" employee which means my employer can change the deal at any time, but I'm free to leave if I don't like something.  I understand that football (and all sports for that matter) is under different rules, but perception is everything here.  I'm sorry if a player voted "no" and doesn't like it (talk to all your buddies who voted "yes").  Same for those who didn't get to vote - enjoy the ride by being in the NFL for the time that you are blessed to be there.  I hope you got a good education to help you with a second career when you are out of football.  In regards to individual contracts being honored or not, I'm no contract lawyer, but it sounds like there should be improvement there.  I guess I would just add my version of a complaint - there is just so much greed on both sides.  Most of us can't relate to those kinds of dollars when we think about how much first responders and teachers and health workers make (and what they have to go through on a daily basis).

38 minutes ago, CincySportsFan said:

Just to play devil's advocate here on a couple of points...

1) Just because the agreement was passed, doesn't mean that all players voted in favor of it.  Heck, the numbers I just looked up said it was 1,019 "yes" and 959 "no" votes.  That's a slim margin.  

2) Each year, there are players coming into the league who didn't even get to vote on it.  Yes, they know what the situation is beforehand...but, it doesn't mean you have to like it.  And shoot, they may even be out of the league before the next agreement comes up for negotiation.

3) Contract-shmontract.  If the NFL wants the players to honor the CBA contract...how about the teams honor their individual contracts given to players.  Don't tell me you signed a guy for 5 years, $75 million...when you can turn around and walk away from it darn near scott free anytime you want. Until they're all 100% guaranteed, they're not contracts...they're reservations (with very little penalty for cancelling them).  

Kind of a funny deal with the voting. This was the first time the NFLPA allowed for every player to vote as normally it is a player rep from each team casting the final vote. Over 20% of the league didn't vote, which from my vantage is a YES vote because it shows they do not care. And obviously the vote had much more to do than agreeing to a 17 game schedule, but that was the highlight topic.

And with the "contracts" that is how they are structured.... as agreed upon by the players. They are not forced to play under those terms, but they have been bamboozled into some bad things. As I have said multiple times, I blame the NFLPA leadership for allowing it to get where it has.

Whether it is by narrow margin, wide margin, or by hook or by crook, you sign on the dotted line I am not drawing much sympathy. Until the players show they are serious, they will continue getting taken to the woodshed. But leadership has them believing since they can't spout off on twitter, they are somehow on equal footing. Chess vs. Checkers.

The thing to keep in mind is in the NFL, they have 53 on active rosters, then I think up to 10 now on practice squads. So when the NFLPA makes an agreement, they simply can’t just try to make a deal for what’s best for the top 100 players in the league. Which I believe this latest deal didn’t make things better for the top players, but did make things better for the rest of the players. Plus with the expanded practice squads, it gave more players a chance to be on a team and get paid. Then I believe there was also something that increased things for the retired players. 

So while yes the top players will speak up about not being happy and it being a bad deal, because it didn’t really do anything for them. It in all honestly when looking at every single player and not just the top 100. The deal wasn’t as bad for the players as some make it out to be, and improved things for the majority of players. That is why the NFLPA is in a tough spot, it has to do what is best for the majority of its players. Which the majority isn’t the top 100 guys. 

What are the details on the expanded practice squads?

1 hour ago, bugatti said:

Kind of a funny deal with the voting. This was the first time the NFLPA allowed for every player to vote as normally it is a player rep from each team casting the final vote. Over 20% of the league didn't vote, which from my vantage is a YES vote because it shows they do not care. And obviously the vote had much more to do than agreeing to a 17 game schedule, but that was the highlight topic.

And with the "contracts" that is how they are structured.... as agreed upon by the players. They are not forced to play under those terms, but they have been bamboozled into some bad things. As I have said multiple times, I blame the NFLPA leadership for allowing it to get where it has.

Whether it is by narrow margin, wide margin, or by hook or by crook, you sign on the dotted line I am not drawing much sympathy. Until the players show they are serious, they will continue getting taken to the woodshed. But leadership has them believing since they can't spout off on twitter, they are somehow on equal footing. Chess vs. Checkers.

Would love to see a breakdown of the 20% who didn't vote.  I can certainly see where you could say that's a "yes" vote, due to apathy.  But, I could also see a vet who knew he was going to retire in the next year or so, say "you know what, you other guys are going to be the ones playing under this for the next decade...so, I'll let you decide".  Or, maybe a rookie, who's just glad to be in the league and have a job...and may not feel they know the ins/outs of the league just yet to have a say.

Sure, they are not "forced" to play under those terms...but, really, where else are they going to go?  You and I look at it as a sport.  A kids game.  But, this is their chosen profession.  What other option do they honestly have?  The CFL?  The XFL?  And have they ever had 100% guaranteed contracts? (Honest question there)  And if they did, what was the owners concession to get them (the players) to give that up?!?

One thing that you and I will agree on is that the NFLPA leadership is a joke.

Agree on the NFLPA.

On 3/31/2021 at 1:02 PM, theguru said:

I feel like professional athletes complain way too much these days and it is a turn off.

I know it is. How do you continue to moan and groan and expect the everyday working person to get enthused? No matter what the player's associations think most people really can't fathom folks making 345 million for 10 years with most guaranteed having anything to gripe about. Eventually with many other entertainment opportunities support will fall significantly.

33 minutes ago, 9068 said:

I know it is. How do you continue to moan and groan and expect the everyday working person to get enthused? No matter what the player's associations think most people really can't fathom folks making 345 million for 10 years with most guaranteed having anything to gripe about. Eventually with many other entertainment opportunities support will fall significantly.

No it won't, especially not for the NFL. 

Look I get that it's popular to rag on these dudes who complain about certain things because of the amount of money they make, but no "Regular Joe" is doing what an NFL player is to keep their job. Similarly, most Regular Joe's job isn't bringing in the kind of money an NFL franchise is, so I think they have a little room to complain about things from time to time. 

Sign in to follow this