How many advance college credit hours do colleges allow?     Could a really smart kid come back and load up on more of these classes, and then after his 5th year enter college as a second semester sophomore or even a junior?    As long as he isn't paying private high school tuition, it might make financial sense to avoid some college tuition.

• Like 1
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In my opinion, I think an individual should only repeat a year of school if there are major glaring academic issues. It just doesn’t sit well with me for someone to repeat a year of school, even thoug

Personally, I think the biggest beneficiaries of this law will be current kindergarteners, 1st and 2nd graders. Think about it...you're supposed to be learning the building blocks of reading, writing

We can do that... but not really what I am doing. I don't want to talk anyone into anything, we hit early August, Monday morning, 6 am, they say... "Why I am here?" They have to stay because they want

Posted Images

2 hours ago, DearToday said:

It’s hard for me to see school systems denying this. If you deny that 1st grade student that’s had to go virtual the ability to retake and relearn their classes and content that’s going to be a bad look. And if you let one, you let all. If you deny one, you deny all. The fifth year senior is just 1/12 of the school population you’re dealing with. 

Eh, its not too hard once you start looking at a lot of the logistics of it when it comes to money or staffing (especially if a school is already pushing 30+ students in classes in the status quo).  I'm sure a lot will depend on how many requests they get and how they are dispersed across grade levels.  As I said before, I think you'll see more of this at lower grade levels than you will for high school, which is why the "take all requests or none" seems shortsighted.

What all of this shows to me is that the pandemic will have ripple effects across education systems for the next 12 years.  Tons of longitudinal studies are just waiting to be done about all of this too.

6 hours ago, ChiefSmoke said:

All KHSAA rules are still in place. No transfers for athletic reasons. My understanding, the answer to your question is no. 

So now the KHSAA is going to start enforcing the Rules?🤣 I’m joking! Or am I?😁 So basically you’re saying that Financial Hardship/Divorce Cases will again be at a all time high? 

There’s more than One way to skin a Kitty!

• Like 1

I have a hard time thinking that is an advantage as far as recruiting goes, of course the "5th year" guys get more exposure but is it really an advantage? Now you will have 2 classes of students competing for the same small batch of scholarships.

• Like 1
On 3/24/2021 at 4:55 PM, Willy the whale said:

I think some will. But you might have a point there.

They won't be able to do that, It's a repeat year so this years classes will not count and they will have to repeat all required classes the full year in order to graduate. I'm sure each district will have to come up with a set of rules to iron all of it out though.

12 hours ago, DanvilleFan said:

Eh, its not too hard once you start looking at a lot of the logistics of it when it comes to money or staffing (especially if a school is already pushing 30+ students in classes in the status quo).  I'm sure a lot will depend on how many requests they get and how they are dispersed across grade levels.  As I said before, I think you'll see more of this at lower grade levels than you will for high school, which is why the "take all requests or none" seems shortsighted.

What all of this shows to me is that the pandemic will have ripple effects across education systems for the next 12 years.  Tons of longitudinal studies are just waiting to be done about all of this too.

What school system wants to be seen as the system that isn't for the betterment of kids trying to learn what they may have struggled with learning virtually. Even for kids that are in person, it's not the same with some schools tying teachers hands and telling them they essentially have to teach from a prerecorded video and can't use paper. I don't think the number of students who stay back will be that large. 5% probably, 10% at the very tops. 

Three more violations of the No Politics part of our Terms of Service, this is getting ridiculous.

Any mention, discussion, and media regarding politics or political figures is expressly prohibited on BluegrassPreps. This includes, but is not limited to the mention or names of any elected or publicly appointed officials, both domestic and foreign, by name, title, or by the offices held (e.g. - president, governor, chancellor, mayor, minister, senator, congressman, commissioner, attorney general, county clerk, magistrate, Beshear, Clinton, Lincoln, Merkel, Obama, Putin, Reagan, Roosevelt, Trudeau, Trump, etc). Any direct references or inferences to political terminology and activities, (e.g. - government, Democrat, Republican, GOP, conservative, liberal, campaign, lobby, legislature, filibuster, caucus, etc) and anything else deemed political in nature by the BGP staff is also prohibited from the site. Likewise, this also includes 3rd party links to articles that are political in name or in nature. Additionally, the use of names/nicknames deemed by the BGP staff as references to political figures (e.g. - Andy, Donald, Tricky Dick, Slick Willy) will not be permitted on BluegrassPreps.

Keeping in mind BGP's core purpose as a sports-discussion community, discussion of the the managing bodies specifically serving over high school, college, amateur, and professional sports leagues (KHSAA, NCAA, IOC, MLB, MLS, NBA, NFL et al), along with the officers, officials and the titles held by the individuals within those organizations is permitted on BGP. Similarly, high school and college/university administrators and officials, when discussed in a strictly non-political manner, are all permissible on BGP.

2 hours ago, cardinalalum said:

They won't be able to do that, It's a repeat year so this years classes will not count and they will have to repeat all required classes the full year in order to graduate. I'm sure each district will have to come up with a set of rules to iron all of it out though.

This is not my understanding, having read the law.  It is broad, but the way I read it, they can keep credits, but can choose to repeat classes.  My guess is elective-type credits will remain that same & students will primarily repeat core classes (Math, Science, English, & Social Studies) while getting to option to take more electives and CTE classes.

This could be a boon to some of our vocational/CTE students to gain more opportunities for certifications, as well as for elementary students to reinforce their learning in the basics.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Runcible Owl said:

@Rhea Co., what are your thoughts on this? Is there anything like this happening in Tennessee?

Well it’s interesting to read about, I don’t think there is anything like this being talked about for the state of Tennessee. There is a lot of interest from Tennessee teams that scheduled schools from Kentucky. Which there does seem to be more schools from Tennessee scheduling with Kentucky schools for the upcoming schedule cycle. I don’t really know if it will make too much of a difference in the games, but that also depends on how many seniors would comeback too. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, DearToday said:

What school system wants to be seen as the system that isn't for the betterment of kids trying to learn what they may have struggled with learning virtually. Even for kids that are in person, it's not the same with some schools tying teachers hands and telling them they essentially have to teach from a prerecorded video and can't use paper. I don't think the number of students who stay back will be that large. 5% probably, 10% at the very tops. 

You won't see me defend the virtual learning bit at all, but I don't think that's applicable to my previous point.  No school system wants to be viewed negatively but there are lots of ramifications of letting people hold back.  Even if you are looking at 5-10% of kids that is a LOT to manage logistically.  For example, let's say a district has 3,000 or so students.  10% could mean 300 requests to redo.  5% would be 150.  These requests are probably not going to be spread evenly either, as I would imagine you'd see more for elementary (especially K-2).  So a district would have to accommodate more students in that class, which becomes an issue of staffing and funds.  Some districts might be able to manage or work with that more than others, but any with overcrowding or classes regularly pushing beyond limits for elementary or 30+ for high school I can see saying "No."  Again, all of this is theoretical until districts see the numbers.

I do agree that it will all depend on requests.  Don't get a lot?  Not a big deal.  If a mountain start coming in for a certain age group or grade level?  That's where the trouble starts.

As of last night, KY High Schools on the border, getting calls/inquiries about transfers coming in from out of state. 

Best I understand the rules... could be wrong...

If a current senior in another state transfers/enrolls in a KY HS before May 1st, that student would be able to request the do over year, just like any other enrolled KY student. 

Grab your popcorn and hold on... going to get real interesting. 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, ChiefSmoke said:

As of last night, KY High Schools on the border, getting calls/inquiries about transfers coming in from out of state. 

Best I understand the rules... could be wrong...

If a current senior in another state transfers/enrolls in a KY HS before May 1st, that student would be able to request the do over year, just like any other enrolled KY student. 

Grab your popcorn and hold on... going to get real interesting. 

I think the KHSAA is going to be forced to come out with some guidance. 

And for you or anyone ChiefSmoke, can a current high school coach approach one of his seniors and inquire and/or suggest that they come back for a 5th year or are coaches forbidden from discussing this with their senior players?

13 minutes ago, theguru said:

I think the KHSAA is going to be forced to come out with some guidance. 

And for you or anyone ChiefSmoke, can a current high school coach approach one of his seniors and inquire and/or suggest that they come back for a 5th year or are coaches forbidden from discussing this with their senior players?

We can do that... but not really what I am doing. I don't want to talk anyone into anything, we hit early August, Monday morning, 6 am, they say... "Why I am here?" They have to stay because they want to stay, not because I talked them into it. 

When our district gives us more details, I will share that with all of our families , K-12. I have had some of our families reach out to me already for guidance. And, in every case so far, I certainly can see merit in an extra year for those guys. 

It is somewhat of an equity issue. Affluent families can hold their kids back. Poor families have to send their kids to school as early as possible because they cannot afford day care. Being older is a significant advantage for most males in the classroom and on the field. I have to admit.... I like the idea that poorer families have this option right now. But, I also think there is the potential for this to be a huge mess. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Any mention, discussion, and media regarding politics or political figures is expressly prohibited on BluegrassPreps. This includes, but is not limited to the mention or names of any elected or publicly appointed officials, both domestic and foreign, by name, title, or by the offices held (e.g. - president, governor, chancellor, mayor, minister, senator, congressman, commissioner, attorney general, county clerk, magistrate, Beshear, Clinton, Lincoln, Merkel, Obama, Putin, Reagan, Roosevelt, Trudeau, Trump, etc). Any direct references or inferences to political terminology and activities, (e.g. - government, Democrat, Republican, GOP, conservative, liberal, campaign, lobby, legislature, filibuster, caucus, etc) and anything else deemed political in nature by the BGP staff is also prohibited from the site. Likewise, this also includes 3rd party links to articles that are political in name or in nature. Additionally, the use of names/nicknames deemed by the BGP staff as references to political figures (e.g. - Andy, Donald, Tricky Dick, Slick Willy) will not be permitted on BluegrassPreps.

Keeping in mind BGP's core purpose as a sports-discussion community, discussion of the the managing bodies specifically serving over high school, college, amateur, and professional sports leagues (KHSAA, NCAA, IOC, MLB, MLS, NBA, NFL et al), along with the officers, officials and the titles held by the individuals within those organizations is permitted on BGP. Similarly, high school and college/university administrators and officials, when discussed in a strictly non-political manner, are all permissible on BGP.