Covington Holy Cross 67 Beechwood 60 (35th District Semifinal)

The Holy Cross Indians just had the Beechwood Tigers’ number this season as they got ‘em again, and this time it mattered even more than the regular season seeding game where they won by 18. 

This game was an intense nail biter with a great environment, just the type you’d like to have in a good old fashioned 35th District battle, and it did not disappoint. 

The game was a pretty tight one most of the way with the Tigers up most of the way, and after having an early 8 point edge it stayed mostly a 4 point game.  After the Indians had an early 3-2 lead they never took the lead again until 53-52, and it stayed close until the last 2 minutes of the game when the Indians began getting some breathing room. 

Both teams suffered from the line, so you could say the Tigers lost the game at the line, which they indeed did, but the Indians didn’t fare much better from the charity stripe either.

Key for the Indians tonight was Brandon McClendon getting to the rim netting 21, when the Tigers would try to stifle Jacob Meyer. They had to pick their poison between two players who average 20 ppg, and McClendon delivered and created for himself. Hicks was a monster on the boards and big boy sophomore 6’8” Sam Gibson made an impact with his minutes, while Meyer chipped in his fair share of 22 points. 

The Indians effectively shut down Downton tonight whereas Scotty Draud still got his leading all scorers with 28. 

The Holy Cross Indians now earn the right to take on the Colonels of CovCath in the 35th District Finals Thursday @ 7:00 @ Holmes, and win or lose both they and CovCath are set to be in the 9th Region Tourney. 

Congratulations to the Tigers on a sensational season, and farewell, and good luck to the seniors, and much luck in the future, and to the underclassman we’ll be excited to see you next season. 

Got to hand it to Scotty Draud for thrilling us with his awesome 5 year varsity scoring dynamo career, and his teammate Will Downton wasn’t too shabby either.  

At the end of 1 Beechwood was up 17-9

At he Half it was Beechwood up 33-29

After 3 it was all tied at 45

Final: Holy Cross 67 Beechwood 60

Twitter from 859insider 

• Like 1

HC matched up well with Beechwood this year. This game was fun to watch, but the end got a little chirpy. Couple hard fouls on Meyer late, one was an intentional. Great game by HC and now have to get ready for Cov Cath. 

Congratulations to the Tigers on a sensational season, and farewell, and good luck to the seniors, and much luck in the future.

I'll second that. The Beechwood Boys' Basketball Class of 2021 won 91 games, the most in any four-year stretch in school history. I am extremely proud to have been involved with this group. The future is bright for these young men.

• Like 5

Listening to the 859 Broadcast during the game, the question was asked when was the last time HC made it to the regionals. The discussion seemed to infer that it had been a while. Actually, HC has been to the regional 4 of the last 6 years. They beat Beechwood in '16 and '17, Holmes in '18, and now Beechwood again in '21.

• Like 5
11 minutes ago, Ironlung said:

Listening to the 859 Broadcast during the game, the question was asked when was the last time HC made it to the regionals. The discussion seemed to infer that it had been a while. Actually, HC has been to the regional 4 of the last 6 years. They beat Beechwood in '16 and '17, Holmes in '18, and now Beechwood again in '21.

The last appearance in the 9th Region Tournament for Holy Cross was during the 2017-18 season under Coach Ryan Schrand. That team went 14-17 and made it to the semis of the 9th before losing to Dixie, 62-51. 

Congrats to the Indians on an impressive second half comeback last night to take down the Beechwood Tigers, who had won nine in a row. Can't say enough about the guard play last night down the stretch by Meyer, McClendon, and Robinson. 

If I were awarding a Star of the Game last night, it would have went to Brandon McClendon, who, once again, proves to be one of the 9th's most underrated WINNERS in recent memory. His performance in the 2nd/3rd quarters when Meyer was struggling kept the Indians within striking distance. 

Also, congrats to Beechwood's six seniors who played their final game last night, especially Scotty Draud and Will Downton. Those young men were a lot of fun to watch during the time in red and white. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, PaulBlart said:

HC matched up well with Beechwood this year. This game was fun to watch, but the end got a little chirpy. Couple hard fouls on Meyer late, one was an intentional. Great game by HC and now have to get ready for Cov Cath. 

The one foul in the back, which WASNT called intentional BTW, absolutely was wrong. That’s how kids get hurt. 

The one Hergott elevated, made a play on the ball as Meyer tried unsuccessfully to dunk it, no way that was intentional. Good, old school basketball play. After seeing Hergott with that passion, puzzled why he wasn’t on floor more last night. 

HC was absolutely better team. BW had no answer under the boards, and no one could step in and help Draud. Key for me was when HC heartbeat/pulse of team Jeremiah Hicks picked up his 3rd foul. BW not once tried to take it at him and force him to get his 4th. Played most of 2nd half with no one taking it at him. I was blown away.  Allowing him to stay on the floor was death blow for BW. Exposed how big a loss Rylee transferring was IMO. 

McClendon/Meyer best guard combo I’ve seen in long time. 

Foul shots.  It’s an epidemic at this point folks  both teams couldn’t hit consistently, and I’ve seen that in almost every game I’ve watched in recent years.  Need less time practicing Euro-steps and more time on charity stripe.

All I know is this.  It was great to be back in a gym watching games  thank you to 35th district and Holmes staff for allowing that to happen  👍👍

• Like 5

Rebounding was practically even, I had Beechwood with a 2 rebound advantage and Hudl had it even, but it doesn't record team rebounds.

• Like 1