Best Players in 9th Region History

Four Division I players from the 1967-68 Cov Cath team in the pic from CWB. 

#24 Randy Noll, Marshall (CCH & MU HOF)

#31 Joe Voskuhl, Tulsa (CCH & TU HOF)

#14 Don Fritz, Dayton

#25 John VonLehman, Dayton (CCH HOF)

Voskuhl and VonLehman were both All-State, and should be on this list too.

#15 Doug Overmann played at NKU (when DII)

✓ Please keep #13 Jim Cooper in your prayers. 🙏

* On a side note, Voskuhl's son Jake was the starting center on UCON's 1999 NCAA championship team.

1968.thumb.jpg.57e00ad2a6b71bba7c07028a8ca471dc.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He was teaching at CovCath while I was there from 89-93. One of the kindest, most unassuming men I've ever come across. He truly had the respect of every single person that walked those halls...which,

Here's the shot. I'm sure UK fans screamed then that it wasn't a foul. 😉

Tom Thacker could have been the best.  

Posted Images

59 minutes ago, Runcible Owl said:

Randy Noll, 1968. CCH state runner-up in '67 and regional champs in '68. C-J 1st Team All-State in '68. Played on the freshman team at UK. Transferred to Marshall where he started three years.

Thank you.  I did not realize it was that long ago.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, allsport71 said:

Auston Hill

Bingo...that's it! 

Great player!

I just knew that you'd be the one to come to the rescue.👍

• Like 1

Howard Stacey, Dixie Heights 1957. Captain of the '57 9th Region champs. C-J All-State. Held Dixie's single game scoring record (51 pts.). 

Stacey was a teammate of Roger Tieman on Louisville' 1959 NCAA Final Four team. He had Head Coaching stints at Louisville and Drake.

41LmtxwaKUL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_ML2_.jpg

• Like 1

If I had one vote and only one vote, probably a player I did not see play, Tom Thacker who holds an NCAA, Aba, and NBA championship rings. I have had the pleasure of talking to him a few times, as he used to attend a lot of Holmes games, a true gentleman. Of the players I have personally saw, there is just to many to name, but Dicky Beal, Doug Schloemer and Jack Jennining of Holmes was very good. My first games I remember watching was some classic Holmes/Covington Catholic battles, Von Lehman, Voskel, Derkison, some great players. We have been blessed in the 9th region to watch so many great players, and we continue that today.

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, Asher2012 said:

No love for Jake Ohmer of Scott. The run he led the Eagles on was MAGICAL. 

Lots of love for Jake, he's not a 9th Region player. 

• Like 3
On 3/5/2021 at 3:32 PM, Runcible Owl said:

Four Division I players from the 1967-68 Cov Cath team in the pic from CWB. 

#24 Randy Noll, Marshall (CCH & MU HOF)

#31 Joe Voskuhl, Tulsa (CCH & TU HOF)

#14 Don Fritz, Dayton

#25 John VonLehman, Dayton (CCH HOF)

Voskuhl and VonLehman were both All-State, and should be on this list too.

#15 Doug Overmann played at NKU (when DII)

Please keep #13 Jim Cooper in your prayers. 🙏

* On a side note, Voskuhl's son Jake was the starting center on UCON's 1999 NCAA championship team.

1968.thumb.jpg.57e00ad2a6b71bba7c07028a8ca471dc.jpg

Jim passed away last night after battling COVID for almost 2 months. He was known around a lot of northern Kentucky following his career at Cov Cath from his coaching career, which included stops at Simon Kenton, Walton-Verona, and Holmes.

From his the Cov Cath Hall of Fame citation:

Jim brought the game he learned on the basketball courts of Covington’s Goebel Park to the Colonels, and he starred as the heady playmaker for CovCath’s first two Ninth Region championship teams (1966-67 and ’67-68). A two-year starter for Coach Mote Hils, “Coop” was loved by CCH fans for his no-look passes and pass fakes, but it was his clutch on-floor leadership and steadiness that were most crucial for teams that finished a combined 55-11 with two State Tournament trips, including the 1967 runner-up finish.

In 2002 upon Cooper’s election to the Northern Kentucky Sports Hall of Fame, Ken Shields, himself a multiple Halls of Fame coach, called Cooper “still the finest passing point guard I’ve coached in over 38 years.” Cooper played for Shields in 1964-65 on the CCH Freshman Team. Jim is considered one of the top playmakers in Northern Kentucky hoops history.

In his two varsity seasons, the 6-foot Cooper averaged 9.8 and 11.3 points, respectively, to go with 3.9 and 5.7 assists. He set the single-game CovCath assist record with 18 in an 80-32 rout of Carr Creek early in his senior season - he would finish the season with 177 total assists. Jim was a two-time All-Ninth Region selection and also received all-regional tourney and All-Ashland Invitational Tournament honors. His clutch free-throwing led CCH to the 1966 AIT title over Breathitt County and into the State Tournament title game with a 9-for-9 effort at the line against favored Louisville Central in the Sweet Sixteen semifinals. He was twice selected All-State honorable mention and also is an inductee in the NKY Athletic Directors Hall of Fame.

146499605_10103474844136800_6092426102956646592_n.thumb.jpg.467083624ef87a6a975e11536881f776.jpg

371596325_1968-69AshlandInvitationalTournament.thumb.jpg.cdc1b1a4ffa9d29205d5566a0d85ab15.jpg

779919189_JimCooper-3.thumb.jpg.8e7c684deb7777b5aaae691c51736c14.jpg

1217058502_JimCooper-1.thumb.jpg.7ffe31f4bc58397afc4549cd49a3c388.jpg

• Thanks 1
On 3/4/2021 at 2:53 PM, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Yes he did...but he didn't play baseball. Covington Latin didn't have a baseball team yet while he was there.

Justice was the top basketball scorer in all of Greater Cincinnati as a senior (a 15 year old senior) in the 1981-82 season. He averaged 26.5 points per game and 5.5 assists. First team All-Catholic All-American as well.

And Justice did all of that while still playing on what was more than likely the worst team in the 9th region. That year they got bounced from the 34th District Tournament in the first round, losing 75-35 to Ludlow. Ludlow lost 62-59 to Dixie in the first round of the 9th Region Tournament, and Dixie lost 55-47 to Highlands in the next round. Highlands beat Conner 72-61 to win the 9th Region.

Are we talking former Atlanta Brave David Justice?

1 minute ago, wrn1979 said:

That’s cool, I had no idea he played Kentucky sports. 

It's a really awesome footnote considering that he played for Covington Latin. 

On 3/5/2021 at 10:14 PM, allsport71 said:

If I had one vote and only one vote, probably a player I did not see play, Tom Thacker who holds an NCAA, ABA, and NBA championship rings. I have had the pleasure of talking to him a few times, as he used to attend a lot of Holmes games, a true gentleman. Of the players I have personally saw, there is just to many to name, but Dicky Beal, Doug Schloemer and Jack Jennining of Holmes were very good. My first games I remember watching was some classic Holmes/Covington Catholic battles, Von Lehman, Voskuhl, and Derkson, some great players. We have been blessed in the 9th region to watch so many great players, and we continue that today.

This article is, I believe, the best ever written about Tom Thacker.

From the great Billy Reed, former writer for The Courier-Journal, and Sports Illustrated contributor. ~

"In Covington, directly across the Ohio River from Cincinnati, a young black kid named Tom Thacker took a special interest in Robertson because basketball was his best sport. By his senior year in 1958-'59, Thacker was good enough to lead Covington Grant to the Kentucky State High School Tournament, where he scored 36 points in an 85-84 quarterfinal loss to Olive Hill."

https://www.kentuckytoday.com/stories/covingtons-tom-thacker-earned-his-place-in-basketball-history,24570

Thacker taking a free throw in the old UC Fieldhouse. Notice the NCAA Championship banner in the background.

Screen-Shot-2020-02-28-at-8.43.25-AM-151x300.png

• Like 1