Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
theguru

Lawsuit filed against the KHSAA over COVID-19 return protocol

Recommended Posts

From WLWT.com:

Jon Kelly Johnson, a dentist from Mount Sterling, filed the lawsuit Friday in Montgomery Circuit Court saying the policy has the potential to negatively affect his 16-year-old son's prospects for college scholarships if he gets the virus, and the suit is asking a judge to grant a temporary injunction that would prevent the athletic association from enforcing the policy.

Commissioner Tackett said the policy is based on recommendations from a Kentucky Medical Association sports subcommittee and “designed to ensure that the student athletes, regardless of how mild their symptoms might have been, have no heart damage.”

==================

Does anyone have the policy from the KHSAA? What specifically is required? Do all schools follow the policy?  Anything else?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, rjal said:

Basically it says that the student must have a return to play note from their doctor and there is a gradual acclimation time to return to full play.  It lasts about a week with each day allowing more running and activity.  

 

Here is a link to the policy.  

https://khsaa.org/resources/Covid19/CovidResumptionofSports/kma-covid-rtp-algorithm.pdf

So this guy thinks one week of safety protocols is going to keep his kid from getting a scholarship? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 minute ago, TheDeuce said:

So this guy thinks one week of safety protocols is going to keep his kid from getting a scholarship? 

I would assume he doesn't believe this, but yes, that is the gist of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bugatti said:

 

I would assume he doesn't believe this, but yes, that is the gist of it.

Hopefully that is quickly dismissed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

So this guy thinks one week of safety protocols is going to keep his kid from getting a scholarship? 

The report did mention that KY high school student athletes could be out of competition for up to 21 days.  

I am not sure where the 21 day metric comes from and maybe the ambiguity is the issue, not sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, theguru said:

The report did mention that KY high school student athletes could be out of competition for up to 21 days.  

I am not sure where the 21 day metric comes from and maybe the ambiguity is the issue, not sure. 

I still don't think that makes a difference. If the kid is good enough, being out 21 days to recover from COVID isn't going to keep him/her from getting a scholarship, IMO.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TheDeuce said:

I still don't think that makes a difference. If the kid is good enough, being out 21 days to recover from COVID isn't going to keep him/her from getting a scholarship, IMO.

I am scratching my head too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheDeuce said:

I still don't think that makes a difference. If the kid is good enough, being out 21 days to recover from COVID isn't going to keep him/her from getting a scholarship, IMO.

Not only that, as a parent, is that guy really willing to trade safety and potential long term issues for a college scholly his kid may get?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rjs4470 said:

Not only that, as a parent, is that guy really willing to trade safety and potential long term issues for a college scholly his kid may get?

Unfortunately, I think you would be shocked at how many parents would do this, and actually do things like this. A whole lot of parents are living through their kids these days at the detriment of their kids. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Unfortunately, I think you would be shocked at how many parents would do this, and actually do things like this. A whole lot of parents are living through their kids these days at the detriment of their kids. 

I'm shocked, but I'm not. I'm well aware of how out of touch many parents are with their child's true abilities, and likelihood of getting a scholly. But the willingness to risk your childs safety and health for a possible scholly is next level crazy.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2021 at 12:04 PM, theguru said:

The report did mention that KY high school student athletes could be out of competition for up to 21 days.  

I am not sure where the 21 day metric comes from and maybe the ambiguity is the issue, not sure. 

The 21 days most likely comes from a situation where the student athlete doesn't have it, but someone in their household does.  A person that tests positive has a 10 day quarantine.  As a student living with that person, you have to wait another 10 days before being allowed back in school.  However, after 5 days, you can test and if negative, come back in 7 instead of 10.  You take the chance of testing positive and being out 10 days from that point, so 25 days total.

We just had this scenario in our house where 4 of us tested positive, and the youngest did not.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using the site you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use Policies.