TheDeuce

Arena Football Returning to Louisville

Apparently Louisville is getting another arena football team. The games at Freedom Hall were always a blast, hopefully this league doesn't fold like the last one. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Apparently Louisville is getting another arena football team. The games at Freedom Hall were always a blast, hopefully this league doesn't fold like the last one. 

You have any further information?  Would like to see if I could get my son involved in the kicking game.

Too bad that the NKY team folded.  I look at the list of teams and I don't even see a viable regional rival for the Louisville Xtreme.  Here is the list of teams in the league from Wiki.

eam Location Arena Capacity Founded Joined Head coach
Arizona Rattlers Phoenix, Arizona Phoenix Suns Arena 18,422 1992 2017 Kevin Guy
Bismarck Bucks Bismarck, North Dakota Bismarck Event Center 10,100 2017 2019 Rod Miller
Duke City Gladiators Albuquerque, New Mexico Tingley Coliseum 9,286 2015 2020 Martino Theus
Frisco Fighters Frisco, Texas Comerica Center 3,500 2019 2020 Clint Dolezel
Green Bay Blizzard Green Bay, Wisconsin Resch Center 8,600 2003 2010 Corey Roberson
Iowa Barnstormers Des Moines, Iowa Wells Fargo Arena 15,181 1995 2015 Ameer Ismail
Louisville Xtreme Louisville, Kentucky Freedom Hall 18,865 2012 2021 Mark Stoute
Massachusetts Pirates Worcester, Massachusetts DCU Center 12,339 2017 2021 Patrick Pass
Northern Arizona Wranglers Prescott Valley, Arizona Findlay Toyota Center 6,000 2020 2021 Dominic Bramante
Sioux Falls Storm Sioux Falls, South Dakota Denny Sanford Premier Center 10,678 2000 2009 Kurtiss Riggs
Spokane Shock Spokane, Washington Spokane Veterans Memorial Arena 10,771 2006 2020 Billy Back
Tucson Sugar Skulls Tucson, Arizona Tucson Convention Center 8,962 2018 2019 Dixie Wooten
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jack of all Trades said:

You have any further information?  Would like to see if I could get my son involved in the kicking game.

Here's a link to their website: https://louxtreme.com/index.aspx

• Thanks 1

Seems like a poor/hard time to be bringing a team to a new area.  In almost any sport, in almost any city right now.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sportsfan41 said:

Seems like a poor/hard time to be bringing a team to a new area.  In almost any sport, in almost any city right now.

Which is in part why you have to give the ownership a lot of credit. 

16 minutes ago, Jack of all Trades said:

Thanks.  I was able to send the GM a message via email.

Please let us know what you find out JOAT. 

1 hour ago, theguru said:

Please let us know what you find out JOAT. 

I will do that.  Just looking for that opportunity.

• Thanks 1

Back in the day, I enjoyed the Cincinnati Rockers.  N KY River Monsters weren't bad either.

On 2/19/2021 at 11:10 AM, TheDeuce said:

I always felt like the leagues folded almost as often as teams seem to. Are there any arena leagues that have made it for any real length of time?

13 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I always felt like the leagues folded almost as often as teams seem to. Are there any arena leagues that have made it for any real length of time?

The original AFL ran for over 20 years, launching in the late 80’s until it folded in 2008.

• Like 1

I hope it works. But it most likely won’t. The first couple games will have good attendance because people will want to see the old UL and UK players that didn’t make it in the league. Then they’ll realize that it’s a glorified men’s league and quit going. I give it 2 seasons at best. Not trying to sound negative. But it’s happened numerous times. Why would now be any different?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, HoopJunkie said:

I hope it works. But it most likely won’t. The first couple games will have good attendance because people will want to see the old UL and UK players that didn’t make it in the league. Then they’ll realize that it’s a glorified men’s league and quit going. I give it 2 seasons at best. Not trying to sound negative. But it’s happened numerous times. Why would now be any different?

I tend to agree. It's a really cool sport IMO, but it will never garner the attention needed to keep it going again long term. 

• Like 1

I remember watching the Cincinnati Rockers play in Tropicana Field in St Pete. We just so happen to be Vacationing in the Area and caught the game too. Good luck to everyone involved.