Sign in to follow this  
BrosefStalin

Class of 2023 Top Players

Now that we're a few weeks into the season, who does everyone see as some of the top 10 sophomores in the state so far? Any surprises? Risers? Fallers? 

The Sheppard kid has to be #1, right?  Ipsaro and Chandler Starks have to be high up on the list as well.  

• Like 2

Male's Kaleb Glenn #1 sophomore in State takes the court on 2/2. I look forward to seeing him this year. Rated #43 in nation and #9 SF in nation for class of 2023 by 247 sports. 

• Like 1

Kaleb Glenn and Reed Sheppard are certainly tops on the list.  These guys are both high D1 talent, they can play!  

There was an article about this class on KSR, last year when they were freshmen.  Glenn and Sheppard are likely the top 2.  The point guards at Ashland and North Oldham are two others I remember being listed.  I think there were 6 total, but I can't recall the other two.

Glenn and Sheppard both played in the same AAU organization as my kid, but that was 2 years ago.  Both, naturally, have changed a good bit since then.  I saw Glenn last year in the King of the Bluegrass (I think?).  He's the kind of kid that coaches salivate about - 6'6, 210 probably, really athletic.  But he seems to be exclusively an interior play - at least he was that game.  Not much in the way of perimeter skills.  If that's right, I don't care how athletic he is, it's going to be hard for him to play at the high D1 level......

58 minutes ago, Mojocat said:

There was an article about this class on KSR, last year when they were freshmen.  Glenn and Sheppard are likely the top 2.  The point guards at Ashland and North Oldham are two others I remember being listed.  I think there were 6 total, but I can't recall the other two.

Glenn and Sheppard both played in the same AAU organization as my kid, but that was 2 years ago.  Both, naturally, have changed a good bit since then.  I saw Glenn last year in the King of the Bluegrass (I think?).  He's the kind of kid that coaches salivate about - 6'6, 210 probably, really athletic.  But he seems to be exclusively an interior play - at least he was that game.  Not much in the way of perimeter skills.  If that's right, I don't care how athletic he is, it's going to be hard for him to play at the high D1 level......

Last year Glenn was 4 of 8 from 3. I think he will take more of those shots in future. 

Some off the top of my head from the 9th Region would be:

Jacob Meyer - Holy Cross

Eian Elmer - Holmes

Chandler Starks - Covington Catholic 

Evan Ipsaro - Covington Catholic 

William Herald - Highlands. 

• Like 1

Jacob Meyer on the 9th region list should be at the top of it. He is super athletic and can really score and creates for his team. He is playing at a high level and is fun to watch. 

• Like 1

On 1/23/2021 at 9:11 PM, PaulBlart said:

Jacob Meyer on the 9th region list should be at the top of it. He is super athletic and can really score and creates for his team. He is playing at a high level and is fun to watch. 

Welcome to BGP @PaulBlart!

• Like 2

Gabe Sisk and Jack Edelen at Ballard are both excellent guards.

Kaleb Glenn is the best in class of 2023 from Louisville IMO.

Glenn is the #1 recruit of 2023!

Kid out of Murray isn't too bad either.  Outside of Zion Harmon, Grant Whitaker is arguably the best player in western KY.

I found the article I referenced earlier:

https://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketball-2/kentucky-high-school-basketball-is-loaded-with-impact-freshmen/

It lists 7 names:

Reed Sheppard -- 6'3 -- North Laurel

Ryan Davidson -- 6'4 -- North Laurel

Gabe Sisk -- 6'5 -- Ballard

Jack Edelen -- 5' 10.5 -- Ballard

Kaleb Glenn -- 6'7 -- Male

Dallas Roberts -- 6'0 -- North Oldham

Colin Porter -- 5'11 -- Ashland

Sizes are per official rosters at KHSAA.  So, yeah, really talented class.  I've seen 5 of them play (not Porter or Davidson).  Point guard heavy - and it's really hard for a 6' and under kid to make a run at high D1.  It just is.  It can be done, but it's difficult.  I suspect that the heights of Edelen, Porter and Roberts are all inflated a bit - not because I know anything about any of them, other than the tendency to do that if the kid is good but is on the shorter side.  As I've said, Glenn has the body to kill for, but looks really limited right now to post play, and at 6'7, I wonder how well that translates to high D1.  Is Sheppard really 6'3?  Based only on highlights I've seen, he looks like he is, like he's grown an inch or two.  I don't know Davidson or even what position he plays.  If he's a guard, that's a good size.  In the end, all things considered (talent + height), Sisk might be the safest bet to go the farthest.  By the way, I know those kids are "only sophomores", and could conceivably grow some more, but most kids are finished growing by 16, or their sophomore year.  I suspect they are all just about done.  Not to put too much emphasis on height, but if you're talking about major college high profile basketball programs, it's a factor.....

Sign in to follow this