BirdDaddy

Is Steve Lickert the Right Coach for Newport Central Catholic

As far as coaches playing leap frog or being recycled goes there really isn’t many. I can’t think of many off the top of my head. I guess you could say Paul Rains did a little but that I believe was due to trying to get years in for retirement after LCA. Maybe you could say Dudley but from the stories his personality doesn’t always fit some people. Right now he is probably where he’ll be until he is finished. Holcomb just sounds like maybe he decided he wasn’t finished coaching. Jep came back home to KY and then got a chance to go back to South Laurel. 

I forgot to add then you coaches like Woolley that is a very good coach. He got out to spend time with family. Maybe he comes back and maybe he doesn’t. It’s just an example of good coaches getting out for whatever reason  

like it’s been said guys don’t leave championship programs for other championship programs. Guys don’t leave good jobs typically for other good jobs unless they are going “home” or something like that. 

Lickert is the exception to the rule really in today’s game. It’s very clear he was building his way to get to a top level job. I don’t think many coaches do that in today’s game. 

9 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Well, this may be the wackiest Highlands coaching thread yet. Not sure what to say about some of the posts above. But, I was looking at Lickert's coaching record the last 10 years and here is what I saw:

Campbell County

2011 ..... 4-8

2012 ..... 7-5

2013 ..... 8-4

2014 ..... 6-5

2015 ..... 1-10

2016 ..... 4-8

2017 ..... 7-5

Newport Central Catholic

2018 ..... 5-7

2019 ..... 10-3

2020 ..... 8-3

Total: 60-58

This is most interesting to say the least. I am continually amazing by people who think should get this job. 

14 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

I’m sure in 2015 was same coach as other years. Just shows talent you have more indicative of success than coaching ability. 

Thank ya.  

Mack Brown (yes, that Mack Brown)..three of his first 5 years as a college head coach were something like O’fer or 1 win seasons (about to go check, but off the top of my head I think that’s right).

..just looked (edited this post from the original), but 3 of his first 7 years as a HC (at THREE Different schools, mind you) were 1-10 seasons. 

Had a losing record while at App St/Tulane, then added two other 1-10 records at UNC right out of the gate. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, The sarge said:

This is most interesting to say the least. I am continually amazing by people who think should get this job. 

Do you say that because you don’t think he should get the job because of the record?

6 minutes ago, barrel said:

Do you say that because you don’t think he should get the job because of the record?

No not necessary, but it was funny that people were dismissing Jeff Barth out of hand because his record and credentials were not good enough for Highlands. He is 88-45 in 11 years coaching at the WV.  I don't know Coach Lickert and he seems to be a good coach but if you look at how they stack up together it would seem he(Barth) should be a top candidate. Some I have seen on here have outright dismissed him as unqualified for Highlands head coach. It has been mentioned on here that he was not interviewed. Not sure if that was accurate or not.  

• Like 3

I’ve seen the same things and I completely agree with you. Barth is an extremely good coach. He has done an outstanding job at WV. I don’t know how big of fans HHS would be of the wing-t even though it’s the hybrid version. 

9 minutes ago, barrel said:

I’ve seen the same things and I completely agree with you. Barth is an extremely good coach. He has done an outstanding job at WV. I don’t know how big of fans HHS would be of the wing-t even though it’s the hybrid version. 

I understand what you are saying but he adjusts with the talent he has on hand. I think he would adjust to what Highlands has on hand and if that dictated more passing he would. 

1 hour ago, Harry Doyle said:

What coaches do you see getting recycled? Bc the vast majority of these jobs are guys NOT playing leapfrog & if they are, they’ve usually had a certain level(s) of success.  

More coaches are getting out of it altogether than in it- and, probably at a higher rate than ever before. 

Hey Harry. 
If you looked at this years hires so far, 5 of the 7 coaches hired so far are previous head coaches. And most have 10-15 years or more in coaching. It’s hard for young guys to beat out guys with that many years of experience. 

Most years when I see openings, if young guys aren’t already in the program a more seasoned coach gets the opportunity when he applies over a new guy. I can’t say I fault the logic, but at the same time I see the issues for young and new coaches trying out for jobs. 
I honestly don’t know what the answer is, I think the bigger issue is what you eluded to earlier, keeping young and new coaches in and around the game. 

1 hour ago, Tigerpride94 said:

I’m sure in 2015 was same coach as other years. Just shows talent you have more indicative of success than coaching ability. 

If I were a Highlands fan, the most concerning thing in Lickert's record is 1-10 five years into his tenure. A record like that is more understandable in the first couple years but in year five it causes doubt. But it happens. Marksberry had a 2-9 record at Simon Kenton more than 10 years in. Beatty had a 6-6 record at Trinity in 2013. But it would be something I would want the coach to be able to explain.

Just now, Voice of Reason said:

If I were a Highlands fan, the most concerning thing in Lickert's record is 1-10 five years into his tenure. A record like that is more understandable in the first couple years but in year five it causes doubt. But it happens. Marksberry had a 2-9 record at Simon Kenton more than 10 years in. Beatty had a 6-6 record at Trinity in 2013. But it would be something I would want the coach to be able to explain.

Yeah, my point is it doesn’t matter who is coach if don’t have players, so need a coach that will attract players to the program.

3 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

Yeah, my point is it doesn’t matter who is coach if don’t have players, so need a coach that will attract players to the program.

I agree. I think Highlands is hoping for a coach that spikes the interest. They are probably asking this about every coach they consider: Will this guy excite the players and the community?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The sarge said:

No not necessary, but it was funny that people were dismissing Jeff Barth out of hand because his record and credentials were not good enough for Highlands. He is 88-45 in 11 years coaching at the WV.  I don't know Coach Lickert and he seems to be a good coach but if you look at how they stack up together it would seem he(Barth) should be a top candidate. Some I have seen on here have outright dismissed him as unqualified for Highlands head coach. It has been mentioned on here that he was not interviewed. Not sure if that was accurate or not.  

I have a serious question for you and perhaps you know the answer and perhaps you don’t.  I have been told by several people that he did not apply thus did not interview.  Been told by others he applied but did not get interview.  If he applied and did not get interview I might reach out to administration and make sure they got my application.  

So what constitutes a “young coach”?  Just curious. Because Lickert is 41 or 42. Barth is a couple years older. Weinrich was about the same when he got the job. I don’t really consider these guys young coaches. But thats just me. I’m also curious why this thread assumes Lickert was the number 3 choice, and the fact that they haven’t hired him means there’s bad blood or he has skeletons.

Doesn’t it make more sense that just maybe, of the multitude of candidates, Lickert was not in the top 5 or whatever. And they’re talking to their real number 3, 4 or even going back to 1?  This isn’t a knock on Lickert. It just seems irresponsible to assume, and post negative stuff about the guy if he wasn’t even in serious consideration. I’m sure he’s bummed he didn’t get it, there’s no reason to make it worse. 

• Like 1

I would consider a young coach to be in his 20s to early 30s. I don’t think anyone considers Barth or Lickert young coaches by age or experience.