PurplePride92

Is Highlands still a top job?

As a youth coach I can 100% tell people Brian W was always accessible. On several occasions I would text or email him questions and within a reasonable amount of time he responded. All of his responses were very detailed and explainable to the level I coached. Every reply I received from him ended with "let me know if you need anything else".

• Thanks 4

23 minutes ago, Bluebird99 said:

I do not know the answer.  I’m sure probably more than most want to think or know about.  But, it honestly doesn’t matter going forward. 

I think it should matter going forward. There is a lesson to be learned for the next HC. I don’t doubt that he may have been generous with his time with Roller, as they were former teammates. But one coach on one team for a season or two is not enough. He had been notoriously absent from the jr league and middle school.  Zero initiative on his part to be even remotely involved. I just hope that’s not the case with the next coach. 

9 minutes ago, Lions Paw said:

As a youth coach I can 100% tell people Brian W was always accessible. On several occasions I would text or email him questions and within a reasonable amount of time he responded. All of his responses were very detailed and explainable to the level I coached. Every reply I received from him ended with "let me know if you need anything else".

I don’t doubt that. But none of the coaches I know and have known ever had his phone number. And in every example so far,  illustrating his time spent with the FTJFL, it was at their request, not his. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PurplePride92 said:

Then why the trouble filling the position?   

What trouble? They went through an interview process with a number of candidates and in a rather short amount of time hired a coach. That coach was a fine candidate for the position. Unfortunately that coach backed out of his decision and all of that is on him, not on Highlands.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

What trouble? They went through an interview process with a number of candidates and in a rather short amount of time hired a coach. That coach was a fine candidate for the position. Unfortunately that coach backed out of his decision and all of that is on him, not on Highlands.

According to BGP it was the runner up choice who backed out of the job. So now they have to start a search all over again and the coaches who were knowingly passed over have to decide if they will swallow pride and accept an offer that may or may not come.   

Hell, who even applied for the job?   Do we have that list?   That’ll tell the tale of how coveted this job is.  

Half of Danville has let me know that Coach Clevenger declined to even interview for the job. That’s the reason I started the thread.  Coach Clevenger would rather stay at Danville and fight for the football program in Danville(been a headache for him)  instead of even interviewing for what people say is still one of the best jobs in the state.  

That intrigued me about just how coveted this job is.  

• Like 2

Glad to know the Clevenger rumor was just that.  Danville is lucky to have him.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DanvilleFan said:

Glad to know the Clevenger rumor was just that.  Danville is lucky to have him.

I agree 100%.   

You almost wonder anymore if any high school coaching job is really worth the trouble with all the parent involvement anymore. 

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, KY Outsider said:

You almost wonder anymore if any high school coaching job is really worth the trouble with all the parent involvement anymore. 

I think it's definitely worth it, you just have to be willing to literally ignore parents. 

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, PurplePride92 said:

According to BGP it was the runner up choice who backed out of the job. So now they have to start a search all over again and the coaches who were knowingly passed over have to decide if they will swallow pride and accept an offer that may or may not come.   

Hell, who even applied for the job?   Do we have that list?   That’ll tell the tale of how coveted this job is.  

Half of Danville has let me know that Coach Clevenger declined to even interview for the job. That’s the reason I started the thread.  Coach Clevenger would rather stay at Danville and fight for the football program in Danville(been a headache for him)  instead of even interviewing for what people say is still one of the best jobs in the state.  

But did he apply?

1 minute ago, TheDeuce said:

I think it's definitely worth it, you just have to be willing to literally ignore parents. 

Yes you do. There are a few in the program now that are just unrealistic for their own kids. Those are the cancer. Somehow they think it's okay to call coaches and talk to them about their little Johnny. I'm convinced this is what happened. Coach James was flooded with nonsense that even the seasoned Coach couldn't handle. It's a real shame actually. Most of the parents are really humble but all it takes is One Clown to ruin everything. Someone told me that they think it's the same idiot that poisoned the punch 3 years ago when the former coach was then being ousted only to save the day by starting a resistance. I personally don't know the dude but from what I have heard he's a real charmer.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BirdDaddy said:

But did he apply?

No clue.  I’m only going by what is going around town and that is basically that he said thanks but no thanks.  

6 minutes ago, BirdDaddy said:

But did he apply?

Good question that I know the answer to.  So can anyone from Danville give an affirmative or negative on if he applied and secondly if he interviewed?

39 minutes ago, PurplePride92 said:

No inside knowledge here and no clue who applied, was pursued or interviewed. The challenge I see is there is a type of catch 22 in the quality of candidates that Highlands is seeking and likely apply. For the quality coaches it is a challenge to leave a successful program like Franklin County or Male or Danville even for a program like Highlands. Yet that is the quality level of coach that Highlands should expect to hire based on the quality of their program. It is more difficult to find the right coach at Highlands than most other schools.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

No inside knowledge here and no clue who applied, was pursued or interviewed. The challenge I see is there is a type of catch 22 in the quality of candidates that Highlands is seeking and likely apply. For the quality coaches it is a challenge to leave a successful program like Franklin County or Male or Danville even for a program like Highlands. Yet that is the quality level of coach that Highlands should expect to hire based on the quality of their program. It is more difficult to find the right coach at Highlands than most other schools.

Definitely agree there.