DevilMayCare

The Great Dynasties of Kentucky High School Football

On 1/13/2021 at 10:11 AM, ATLCat said:

Seeing two teams who co-exist with their own level of dominance within the same class is kind of a rarity. 

That Belfry/Central pinnacle was wild. In a 10-year window where those two programs were basically intertwined with the same coaches, you are talking about nine Class 3A Titles won by one or the other. Of those nine, six times they came together in the State Finals.

Very unique to have such polar opposite demographics and cultures running parralel to each other at that level, for that long. It was fun watching that rivalry blossom and the mutual respect between Haywood and Scroggins. You could almost say that Central's excellence spurred Belfry to take that next step as a program. 

2 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Thanks for catching that.

14-4 in title games is pretty good.

Coach Rash is 6-1 in title games.

15-4 in title games after this year. 

10 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

In Class 1A for 17 years from 2002-2018, there was only one season (2006) that neither Beechwood nor Mayfield was in the championship game.

That 17 year run in 1A began in 2002 with Mayfield beating Beechwood 14-7 in the 2002 title game. During those 17 years, Mayfield won 5 championships and Beechwood won 6 championships.

We can add that the success of these two programs is continuing on in 2A. From 2015 to present, 2016 is the only 2A title game with no Mayfield or Beechwood. Mayfield moved up to 2A in 2015 and promptly won the 2A title. Mayfield missed the title game in 2016 but then was runnerup in 2017-19. Beechwood moved up to 2A in 2019 and then won their first 2A title in 2020.

Side note: Since 1991, Beechwood has been in the title game in their class 17 times and has won 14 championships. Over the past 30 years, the only program that has been more successful in Kentucky is Trinity with 16 championships.

That is one unbelievable stat that all of us Beechwood fans like. 

16 minutes ago, Jason Bucklen said:

15-4 in title games after this year. 

No, 14-4 is accurate. My post covered since 1991. Beechwood's other title happened in 1984 under Coach Bernie Barre, who left Beechwood and became a Hall of Fame coach at Wyoming, OH.

16 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

No, 14-4 is accurate. My post covered since 1991. Beechwood's other title happened in 1984 under Coach Bernie Barre, who left Beechwood and became a Hall of Fame coach at Wyoming, OH.

Oh ok sorry I misread it. I know that Beechwood’s first title happened in 1984 with a 35-26 win over Paris. My two older brothers and I were apart of Beechwood’s first 5 state titles in their storied rich tradition history. 

• Like 1