16thBBall Fan

Alabama 52 Ohio State 24 CFB: National Championship

1 hour ago, GrantNKY said:

Huh? What are we even talking about? I think we were talking about quarterbacks. 

Obviously you don't know OSU Qb's, Rex Kern was a very good QB who played in the late 60's at OSU. Just a very different era of football.

2 hours ago, snakesnot_2000 said:

Obviously you don't know OSU Qb's, Rex Kern was a very good QB who played in the late 60's at OSU. Just a very different era of football.

Again it seems like we’re having two different conversations. What does Rex Kern have to do with Alabama? 

On 1/12/2021 at 10:28 AM, GrantNKY said:

We have a lot of people on here that have seen a lot of football and know football well. Have you ever seen a team play a 4-4 base defense against a team as loaded offensively like Bama was? I mean my lord there were times where because of scheme, OSU had a linebacker on the literal Heisman trophy winner. Like JA mentioned, it wasn’t going to make a difference besides being a little closer, but just inexplicable to set yourself up for failure like that. @John Anthony do you think we see any changes coming as far as coaching staff on the defensive side of the ball? 

On 1/12/2021 at 11:18 AM, TheDeuce said:

Funny you mention that... I definitely remember one time during the game that OSU was in a basic 4-4 defense and thinking to myself "Are they in a 4-4?" Just not something you see very often at this level. 

I also wanted to add @John Anthony on this as well.

Concerning the 4-4 defense, I felt the reason OSU did that was because they felt their LBs were just better players than any dime or nickel guys they currently had.  It has been stated multiple times that the secondary just wasn't that good for OSU this year.  I know they didn't draw up to put a LB on Smith.  Nobody does that, it was just Sark's cunning ability to use motion in the pre-snap that caused a LOT of mis-matches which is what Sark is known for deliberately trying to cause.  It was just a back matchup for OSU IMO.

I'm not an OSU guy but I am really pulling for Jantzen Dunn (South Warren incoming OSU Freshman) getting his shot in the secondary at OSU.  I'll be pulling for him big time!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

That's how I found him. Some of the other kids on it are absolute turds but I enjoyed watching him. 

My personal rankings. 1-3 all very likable. 4-6 season 3 didn't live up to the 1st 2 seasons, kinda forgettable for me. 7-9 turds.

1) Sam Hartman

2) Jake Fromm

3) Justin Fields

4) Spencer Rattler

5) Nik Scalzo

6) Lance LeGendre

7) Tate Martell

5) Tayvon Bowers

6) Re-al Mitchell

2 minutes ago, Tones said:

My personal rankings. 1-3 all very likable. 4-6 season 3 didn't live up to the 1st 2 seasons, kinda forgettable for me. 7-9 turds.

1) Sam Hartman

2) Jake Fromm

3) Justin Fields

4) Spencer Rattler

5) Nik Scalzo

6) Lance LeGendre

7) Tate Martell

5) Tayvon Bowers

6) Re-al Mitchell

I completely agree with your list!

51 minutes ago, Purple88 said:

Concerning the 4-4 defense, I felt the reason OSU did that was because they felt their LBs were just better players than any dime or nickel guys they currently had.  It has been stated multiple times that the secondary just wasn't that good for OSU this year.  I know they didn't draw up to put a LB on Smith.  Nobody does that, it was just Sark's cunning ability to use motion in the pre-snap that caused a LOT of mis-matches which is what Sark is known for deliberately trying to cause.  It was just a back matchup for OSU IMO.

I'm not an OSU guy but I am really pulling for Jantzen Dunn (South Warren incoming OSU Freshman) getting his shot in the secondary at OSU.  I'll be pulling for him big time!

Those are fair points for sure. I think it’s a mix of 2 things. Like you mentioned, the secondary for OSU was really thin. It’s basically the top 4 guys Wade, Banks, Williamson, and Proctor. After that it’s all freshman who had no offseason and no real chance to get legitimate action in games this year. The other reason they did it was the absence of Togiai and Smith. The DL at OSU was so dominant this season against the run. You saw it in the Clemson game when they made Etienne a non-factor. The game plan going in to the Alabama game was very clear that stopping Najee was priority number one. Without Togiai and Smith they felt the inexperienced DL up front needed that extra linebacker in the game to aid in slowing down Najee. The OSU defense was content with Smith getting his and felt like they could get the stops they needed as long as they held Najee in check. They didn’t keep Najee in check and that was the difference in the game. I just felt they needed to adjust and trust the inexperience up front on the DL and bring that extra DB on the field just to give themselves a chance. Only being 50% healthy on the DL which is the strength of the defense really set OSU up to fail in game where they would have had to play every snap perfect to have a chance. It was just so frustrating to watch in real time and know that OSU not a full strength had no chance to get a stop. Moving on though, what are your thoughts on Dunn? Every spot is going to be open in the secondary heading in to fall camp. You think Dunn has it in him to crack the rotation? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tones said:

1) Sam Hartman

2) Jake Fromm

3) Justin Fields

4) Spencer Rattler

5) Nik Scalzo

6) Lance LeGendre

7) Tate Martell

5) Tayvon Bowers

6) Re-al Mitchell

Re-al Mitchell was by far my least favorite person ever on the show. I could not stand him. It may not have been entirely his fault because his dad was everything that is wrong with youth and high school sports but man it was tough to watch. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Purple88 said:

It was very frustrating watching OSU on base/cover 3 all night.  They refused to go away from it.  Bama made Smith their 3rd receiver and kept motioning him to exploit it.  I’m guessing Coombs didn’t feel he had the personnel for nickel, which is probably true.  

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard from people in Cbus that they think Dunn is the most underrated recruit in the class. If he wants to play next year tell him to be the best player on special teams right away, he will quickly get on the field in defense thereafter.

Ezekiel Elliott was our best special teams player his freshman year.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GrantNKY said:

Re-al Mitchell was by far my least favorite person ever on the show. I could not stand him. It may not have been entirely his fault because his dad was everything that is wrong with youth and high school sports but man it was tough to watch. 

Nah, I think he was just a tool. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GrantNKY said:

Those are fair points for sure. I think it’s a mix of 2 things. Like you mentioned, the secondary for OSU was really thin. It’s basically the top 4 guys Wade, Banks, Williamson, and Proctor. After that it’s all freshman who had no offseason and no real chance to get legitimate action in games this year. The other reason they did it was the absence of Togiai and Smith. The DL at OSU was so dominant this season against the run. You saw it in the Clemson game when they made Etienne a non-factor. The game plan going in to the Alabama game was very clear that stopping Najee was priority number one. Without Togiai and Smith they felt the inexperienced DL up front needed that extra linebacker in the game to aid in slowing down Najee. The OSU defense was content with Smith getting his and felt like they could get the stops they needed as long as they held Najee in check. They didn’t keep Najee in check and that was the difference in the game. I just felt they needed to adjust and trust the inexperience up front on the DL and bring that extra DB on the field just to give themselves a chance. Only being 50% healthy on the DL which is the strength of the defense really set OSU up to fail in game where they would have had to play every snap perfect to have a chance. It was just so frustrating to watch in real time and know that OSU not a full strength had no chance to get a stop. Moving on though, what are your thoughts on Dunn? Every spot is going to be open in the secondary heading in to fall camp. You think Dunn has it in him to crack the rotation? 

Great points Grant!  I think they are also fair.  I really think if they had mixed it up a bit would have at least given Jones more to think about.  Would it have made a huge difference?  Maybe not, but still it would have given all watching that OSU was trying to scheme/game plan against a passing attack that was very hot.  Plus OSU is known for making great in-game adjustments.  Not sure that happened on Monday, but that may be an unfair assumption on my part too.  Still no shame of having a season where you have to petition your league to even play and go all the way to the Championship game!  Well done.

Concerning Dunn, that is a great question.  I really feel his injury (quad, I think) really set him back this past season.  I say that because they missed out on Spring ball, all 7 on 7 work preseason/regular season work.  When he got back, it took him a while IMO to get going.  He did get going and was the star he always was, but with that said, I think he really needs to get up to Columbus ( I "believe" he is up there for the Spring semester) in hopes of getting into Spring Ball with a chance to compete for playing time.

To get playing time at a place like OSU as a Freshman is difficult, but he is really talented.  He has great anticipation, maybe his best attribute.  Plus, in high school anyway, I never say anyone ever get behind him or outrun him.  That includes Vito Tisdale.  I personally like him as a Safety based on what I saw in High School, but I think the Coaching Staff at OSU will put him in drilling/scenarios etc that allow him to get a shot at corner as well.  I could see him on a nickel or dime package next year is fair I think.  I will be watching OSU games to see if he gets in!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Purple88 said:

Concerning Dunn, that is a great question.  I really feel his injury (quad, I think) really set him back this past season.  I say that because they missed out on Spring ball, all 7 on 7 work preseason/regular season work.  When he got back, it took him a while IMO to get going.  He did get going and was the star he always was, but with that said, I think he really needs to get up to Columbus ( I "believe" he is up there for the Spring semester) in hopes of getting into Spring Ball with a chance to compete for playing time.

To get playing time at a place like OSU as a Freshman is difficult, but he is really talented.  He has great anticipation, maybe his best attribute.  Plus, in high school anyway, I never say anyone ever get behind him or outrun him.  That includes Vito Tisdale.  I personally like him as a Safety based on what I saw in High School, but I think the Coaching Staff at OSU will put him in drilling/scenarios etc that allow him to get a shot at corner as well.  I could see him on a nickel or dime package next year is fair I think.  I will be watching OSU games to see if he gets in!

People that are really locked in to recruiting at OSU have been saying that he projects as a safety as well. Banks and Brown probably have the top 2 corner spots next year but almost every great OSU DB we’ve had recently got playing time as a freshman in that nickel spot and a ton of special teams. Looking forward to seeing compete for that spot! 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, GrantNKY said:

Again it seems like we’re having two different conversations. What does Rex Kern have to do with Alabama? 

What does what you have been saying have anything to do with Alabama? You've been talking about OSU quarterbacks, I just brought up some names from the past. Most have been pretty good but not great like all OSU quarterbacks have been.

3 hours ago, snakesnot_2000 said:

What does what you have been saying have anything to do with Alabama? You've been talking about OSU quarterbacks, I just brought up some names from the past. Most have been pretty good but not great like all OSU quarterbacks have been.

I don’t know man I’m still confused. I wasn’t talking about Alabama. 

1 hour ago, GrantNKY said:

I don’t know man I’m still confused. I wasn’t talking about Alabama. 

I agree.