Colonels_Wear_Blue

Newport Catholic coaching legend Bob Schneider has died.

Newport Central Catholic and Kentucky High School sports have lost one of the all-time greats. 44 years...I can't even imagine how many lives the man helped mold in that time.

Rest in peace, Coach Schneider.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

RIP Coach! One of the greatest coaches of all time. My Beechwood teams had some battles with his New Cath teams in the early 90’s. 

• Like 1

Before Coach Schneider took over at Newport Central Catholic, seven coaches combined for 64 wins in 23 seasons. At the time of his retirement he was the winningest coach in the state of KY. Talk about setting a standard for a program and leaving a legacy. 

RIP Coach Schneider

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Jason Bucklen said:

RIP Coach! One of the greatest coaches of all time. My Beechwood teams had some battles with his New Cath teams in the early 90’s. 

Had the pleasure of officiating many of those. Last game of year. Just great HS football between great teams. Pre-game conferences were classic. All time favorite was the game with the mis-timing clock. Bob out smarted Mike in that one....and Mike laughed and admitted so afterwards.

12 minutes ago, 9068 said:

Had the pleasure of officiating many of those. Last game of year. Just great HS football between great teams. Pre-game conferences were classic. All time favorite was the game with the mis-timing clock. Bob out smarted Mike in that one....and Mike laughed and admitted so afterwards.

What year was that? 

37 minutes ago, Jason Bucklen said:

What year was that? 

New Cath had some great teams in the early 90’s. I think if we didn’t beat them then they would have won state instead of us. 

40 minutes ago, Jason Bucklen said:

What year was that? 

Can't remember year. It was a Saturday night game at Newport Stadium. During pregame noticed it took clock about 12 minutes to run 10 minutes in time. We told coaches we'd keep time on field, but Mike wanted to just use clock. Bob agreed....and wore them out in fourth...which was more like fifth quarter. Either late 90s early 2000s.

• Like 1

Sad to hear this news. Someone who brought a lot to the table in regards to high school football and to NCC. 

Our Paris teams played Coach Schneider's teams in November of 1992 & 1994. Very good football teams.... especially 92. Good grief.

We were fortunate to get them in 94. After the game, Coach Schneider told me that we had screwed up his gameplan by taking out a defender they had found on video, they thought they could attack. I told him... ."Coach, we knew you would go after him and had to make a change." Lol. NewCath was a different animal. Everyone else we played, we were fine. NewCath & Bob Schneider... no way.

Thankful our paths crossed. It was an honor & challenge to face his NewCath teams. Great memories. 

Wonderful man and tremendous football coach.

• Like 2