Sign in to follow this  
ATLCat

Georgia State Finals Livestream. Also a Question About Kentucky.

First here is a link for the 3A, 5A, and 7A Games. Lots of D1 players including Grayson vs. Collins Hill which will probably have 15+ D-1 player son the field between the two teams.

https://www.gpb.org/television/live#page=schedule&day=20201230&provider=Broadcast

Now a question...

Why can't we have this in KY?

These games are broadcast on GPB, Georgia's PBS Channel. All eight games over three days plus two flag football games all on live, in sparkling HD, with professional announcers. All streamed live and free online.

In fact, GPB broadcasts a game each week in addition to the Corkey Kell Classic to start the season which is usually two to three days of multiple games.

Meanwhile in KY, you have to pay to play on the NFHS Network which freezes continually. No live TV broadcast. Less than superb production value. 

Obviously GPB sales premium advertising rights, but additionally the GHSA charges a good bit more for tickets to help accomodate for everything needed for a first class product. Would you be willing to pay 15.00-20.00 per ticket for Quarterfinals or Semi-Finals games if it meant ultimately you could have a luxury like this for the Finals free of charge?

To set the table:

Currently Pierce County vs. Oconee County- 3A Finals.

Oconee County lost in dramatic fashion in last year's Finals. They had QB Max Johnson (son of Brad Johnson) who started to end the season at LSU as a Freshman. They still have a handful of D-1 players including younger brother TE Jake Johnson, one of the top TE's in America as a Junior. This is Pierce County's first Final appearance.

5A State Finals: Cartersville vs. Warner Robins.

Cartersville is a powerhouse and the alma mater of Trevor Lawrence. They have another stout team including a Kentucky commit. Warner Robins is tying to avoid the Buffalo Bills treatment. They have lost in dramatic fashion the past two years.

7A State Finals: Grayson vs. Collins Hill.

Gwinnett County may be the best County in America for High School Football as the "Big Boy" finals features two Gwinnett programs facing off. Grayson is widely regarded as one of the top 10 teams in the Country this season. The Rams are loaded with All-American talent including 12 Seniors currently committed or signed with D-1 teams. Collins Hill lost to Grayson in the Regular Season and have five or six D-1 guys themselves including three very talented Juniors.

Absolutely, I would be willing to pay a little bit more. I was streaming all games through NFHS during championship weekend  at a cost anyway and it was hard to watch at times with the buffering, camera angles that didn't always catch the long offensive pass plays, and replays that were sporadic and not shown when there were questionable calls from my understanding. These are paid referees that should be held to a standard. If I don't perform at a certain level in my profession, I am subject to counseling and possible removal from the position. Knowing some of  the players on the Elizabethtown team, I also realized that the announcers were not identifying the correct players names during the game early and often.

Oconee County reminds me of vintage Highlands in multiple ways. The jerseys, offensive philosophy, and roster makeup.

Pierce County puts me in mind of a cross between Central and DuPont Manual. Good skill, solid defense, sound fundamentals... just not a ton of elite level D-1 type of talent.

Pierce County beats Oconee County 13-7.

Defense ruled the day, Oconee got a score to break through in the 4th but Pierce put a drive together to tie it up and eventually force OT. In OT, Pierce intercepts Oconee on the first play then cashes it in for the win and their first State Title.

So why is the GA finals at the old Turner Field (now Georgia State' s stadium) and not Mercedes Benz Stadium? Use to be played in the Georgia Dome.

5 minutes ago, WCardinal said:

So why is the GA finals at the old Turner Field (now Georgia State' s stadium) and not Mercedes Benz Stadium? Use to be played in the Georgia Dome.

COVID is the official reason, but my hunch is this change of venue may be tough to undo.

They have been at Mercedes Benz the past couple years but they wanted the open air stadium due to COVID, additionally, the Falcons were not amped about that many people in their building.

My nephew's team, Prince Avenue Christian won the 1A-Private title. All accounts I heard were the people who have attended could care less if the games are ever played at Mercedes Benz moving forward believe it or not. Said the acoustics and environment was just a superior product at the Georgia State Stadium. At Mercedes even a crowd of 15K feels empty.

I have went to MBS for the Corkey Kell before and it was "meh".

The argument to leave it at MBS is weather.. but a couple years ago bad weather wreaked havoc anyway because noone could get to the stadium in the first place.They ended up having a handful of the games played at the individual High Schools.

2 minutes ago, ATLCat said:

COVID is the official reason, but my hunch is this change of venue may be tough to undo.

They have been at Mercedes Benz the past couple years but they wanted the open air stadium due to COVID, additionally, the Falcons were not amped about that many people in their building.

My nephew's team, Prince Avenue Christian won the 1A-Private title. All accounts I heard were the people who have attended could care less if the games are ever played at Mercedes Benz moving forward believe it or not. Said the acoustics and environment was just a superior product at the Georgia State Stadium. At Mercedes even a crowd of 15K feels empty.

I have went to MBS for the Corkey Kell before and it was "meh".

Didnt think about COVID.... But yea, I can understand the empty aspect. I grew up in Georgia and went to a few finals games growing up and they all felt that way. Getting to play in an NFL stadium seems pretty cool though.

Georgia State has a nice facility now. Havent been since it converted to a football stadium but attended many Braves games there.

12 minutes ago, WCardinal said:

image.png.d54cae8bdab1fa6d6799ae1dc04045fa.png

That's the trophy!? That is embarrassing, especially for a "football state."

For the next game:

Warner Robins Demons 12-1

DB Kedrek Smith- Air Force

LB Demarcious Robinson- Army

LB Ahmad Walker- Liberty

QB Jalen Addie- Uncommitted

Cartersville Hurricanes 13-1

QB Carlos del Rio- Florida

DB Evan Slocum- Wake Forest

DB Devonte Ross- Kentucky

2 hours ago, ATLCat said:

First here is a link for the 3A, 5A, and 7A Games. Lots of D1 players including Grayson vs. Collins Hill which will probably have 15+ D-1 player son the field between the two teams.

https://www.gpb.org/television/live#page=schedule&day=20201230&provider=Broadcast

Now a question...

Why can't we have this in KY?

These games are broadcast on GPB, Georgia's PBS Channel. All eight games over three days plus two flag football games all on live, in sparkling HD, with professional announcers. All streamed live and free online.

In fact, GPB broadcasts a game each week in addition to the Corkey Kell Classic to start the season which is usually two to three days of multiple games.

Meanwhile in KY, you have to pay to play on the NFHS Network which freezes continually. No live TV broadcast. Less than superb production value. 

KET used to show the games. I remember watching a Mayfield - Danville final.

Sign in to follow this