BBN_34

Is it time for Calipari to go?

Shooters will always blow up and leave because the NBA is looking constantly for kids that can fill it up. With that being said, should be no shock to anyone that the shooters will be first to go so why not just expect this to happen every year.

The biggest problem with this team is the failure to perform by the top recruits.

Boston entered this college season projected by some to be the #2 pick in this year's NBA draft. Because of his play to date, he is not even a projected lottery pick on the projections I looked at and one had him barely in the first round. He is costing himself millions and he shows no signs of getting it. Still playing AAU ball.

Terrance Clarke, a projected first rounder, has dropped down draft boards.

Sarr was brought in to add experience and leadership and he has been very spotty. 

When the stars of your recruiting class are not leading, the coaching job becomes extremely difficult.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, nikeman49 said:

Shooters will always blow up and leave because the NBA is looking constantly for kids that can fill it up. With that being said, should be no shock to anyone that the shooters will be first to go so why not just expect this to happen every year.

I hear you, but what you’re describing is unrealistic. I would also argue the amount of “shooters” drafted is much less than you believe. It’s potential that may or may not morph into good NBA shooters. Look at last year’s draft. Only 2-3 guys I would describe as someone who can fill it up. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

The biggest problem with this team is the failure to perform by the top recruits.

Boston entered this college season projected by some to be the #2 pick in this year's NBA draft. Because of his play to date, he is not even a projected lottery pick on the projections I looked at and one had him barely in the first round. He is costing himself millions and he shows no signs of getting it. Still playing AAU ball.

Terrance Clarke, a projected first rounder, has dropped down draft boards.

Sarr was brought in to add experience and leadership and he has been very spotty. 

When the stars of your recruiting class are not leading, the coaching job becomes extremely difficult.

I think that’s fair. With Sarr, I think people set expectations higher than they should have. The guy has been around 3 years so we had an idea of what he would be. A solid contributor but shouldn’t be relied upon to be a team’s focal point.

I’m not on the the whole it is time for him to go train. He has been here 12 years and this is the first year he truly seems to have gotten it wrong. He has been very successful here doing things a certain way. This year the way he has done things obviously has not worked at all, and as I have even said in another thread has done something’s I don’t agree with either. 

However, he has been successful enough while here to deserve a chance to learn from this year and fix it next year and moving forward. This year could be the wake up call needed for him to see that he is going to have to start doing things different. 

Also someone else already mentioned it. People kept saying they no longer want one and done guys and want a roster of guys that stay that they could watch grow. Well in order for us to get that type of roster. We were going to have to have a horrible type of year. To which many guys wouldn’t be able to jump straight to the NBA. 

With that said having a team filled with guys who stay may be something just isn’t ever going to be possible for top program here soon. With the transfer rule changing, and guys able to transfer right away. Guys who don’t play much as freshman, are going to transfer right away  rather than wait. I think people want a roster that Pitino use to have. However, that’s just not very realistic. Star players will leave earlier than they did back then, and bench/role players would be more likely to transfer. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John Anthony said:

Starting to wonder if Cal walks away after the season. 

Now that could be a possibility. The stress of the UK job is hard enough for any coach, especially after being here 12 years now. Which is why Cal may have been right  when he first got here, when he said a coach could only handle being at UK for 10 years at most. 

So then when you throw in the idiotic criticism fans we’re giving even before this year about one and done players. The stress of starting over every year, then the pandemic, the bad season this year, the kneeling stuff some people have complained about. It’ll

It really could be the perfect storm him to say I am done with this. Then say I will make UK fans eat their words, by say going to Indiana and making Indiana relevant again. Because you know if he leaves UK, if he doesn’t go to the NBA. He will want to go somewhere to make UK fans regret wanting him gone. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, bugatti said:

Again, this is the type of team “UK guy” has pleaded for, devoid of NBA ready talent; so, you should be happy about this. Only thing missing is five other players on the roster from Kentucky that “care about the name across their chest,” and Travis Ford coaching.

Exactly right. 

3 hours ago, futurecoach said:

Now that could be a possibility. The stress of the UK job is hard enough for any coach, especially after being here 12 years now. Which is why Cal may have been right  when he first got here, when he said a coach could only handle being at UK for 10 years at most. 

So then when you throw in the idiotic criticism fans we’re giving even before this year about one and done players. The stress of starting over every year, then the pandemic, the bad season this year, the kneeling stuff some people have complained about. It’ll

It really could be the perfect storm him to say I am done with this. Then say I will make UK fans eat their words, by say going to Indiana and making Indiana relevant again. Because you know if he leaves UK, if he doesn’t go to the NBA. He will want to go somewhere to make UK fans regret wanting him gone. 

That's what I would do if I was him.  I'm frustrated with Cal, but I don't want anyone else. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Randy Parker said:

That's what I would do if I was him.  I'm frustrated with Cal, but I don't want anyone else. 

No doubt. He loves to prove people wrong and basically rub it right back in peoples faces. If he were to be fed up with things, definitely could see him leave to go to a place like Indiana and just win at a high level like he did most of the time here. Just to rub it in our crazy fans faces. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John Anthony said:

Starting to wonder if Cal walks away after the season. 

I said the same yesterday to my buddies. Feels like he is setting up UK fans with some of his decisions and responses to later say, "I told you this was the type of job you can only have for 10 years."

Then I sure do hope all those wishing him gone will be right and the new coach will have us in the Final Four ever year.

• Like 1

Of course, it would be really hard to leave after such a crapfest of a season. 

15 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

No doubt. He loves to prove people wrong and basically rub it right back in peoples faces. If he were to be fed up with things, definitely could see him leave to go to a place like Indiana and just win at a high level like he did most of the time here. Just to rub it in our crazy fans faces. 

He'd love to do that.  LOL 

13 hours ago, Randy Parker said:

Of course, it would be really hard to leave after such a crapfest of a season. 

Sometimes if you stick around too long, you become the villain.  He’s not a young guy anymore and he’s filthy rich.  He doesn’t need to deal with people like me questioning his coaching.  I certainly wanted him to go out with another title or FF run, but the wheels are falling off.