Jump to content
Purple88

Bowling Green vs. Owensboro Predictions/Updates (5A State Championship)

Who Wins this game?  

95 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who wins this game?


  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/19/2020 at 05:00 PM

Recommended Posts

Other than Freddie D.. who has Owensboro faced that was a Top Defensive or Offensive Threat? Also, when is the last time Owensboro played on the road? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Purplepride said:

Other than Freddie D.. who has Owensboro faced that was a Top Defensive or Offensive Threat? Also, when is the last time Owensboro played on the road? 

October 23, 2020 at Grayson County

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tkinslow said:

I don’t think anyone could hold Owensboro real low.

Check BG's schedule, then get back to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Purplepride said:

Other than Freddie D.. who has Owensboro faced that was a Top Defensive or Offensive Threat? Also, when is the last time Owensboro played on the road? 

Freddie D was by far the best team Owensboro faced (they weren't ranked #1 on BGP for nothing).  Daviess County and Graves had the 2 best offenses besides Freddie D. Owensboro has faced some very good running backs, I tried to show this before the Freddie D game.  Graves has a big physical O-line and the top rusher in 5A, Apollo has 2 D1 lineman (ranked the 2nd and 3rd best in state after Burton) and a great running back in Patterson.  Daviess has a huge line and a great back in Parm (Daviess scored more than 40 on Henderson twice).  Jennings is a great RB signed with Murray.  If you asking me to rank the best offenses and defenses we have faced:

Defenses:

Freddie D

Graves

 

 

Offenses:

Freddie D

Daviess

Graves

 

Bowling Green is better than Freddie at D (although when Freddie played Key, Crowdus, Burton and Bryant on D - they are similar).

Bowling Green is probably 2 or 2a on offense behind Freddie D and maybe Daviess.  Daviess would put more points on the board, but BG is playing to its strength letting the defense win the games.  BG presents different challenges than either of those teams, as Freddie D's QB is limited by his mobility, BG is not.  

BG really reminds me alot of Apollo on offense - FAST QB, FAST RB, huge line.  Although BG has Dingle which is huge.  Apollo has 2 phenomenal offensive lineman.   BG is more 50/50 in passing/rushing yards, whereas Apollo is much heavier running, but the QB/RB/O-line is similar.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Brown said:

Freddie D was by far the best team Owensboro faced (they weren't ranked #1 on BGP for nothing).  Daviess County and Graves had the 2 best offenses besides Freddie D. Owensboro has faced some very good running backs, I tried to show this before the Freddie D game.  Graves has a big physical O-line and the top rusher in 5A, Apollo has 2 D1 lineman (ranked the 2nd and 3rd best in state after Burton) and a great running back in Patterson.  Daviess has a huge line and a great back in Parm (Daviess scored more than 40 on Henderson twice).  Jennings is a great RB signed with Murray.  If you asking me to rank the best offenses and defenses we have faced:

Defenses:

Freddie D

Graves

 

 

Offenses:

Freddie D

Daviess

Graves

 

Bowling Green is better than Freddie at D (although when Freddie played Key, Crowdus, Burton and Bryant on D - they are similar).

Bowling Green is probably 2 or 2a on offense behind Freddie D and maybe Daviess.  Daviess would put more points on the board, but BG is playing to its strength letting the defense win the games.  BG presents different challenges than either of those teams, as Freddie D's QB is limited by his mobility, BG is not.  

Hmmm.. I don’t think Daviess County can hang with BG at all. Again, when you look at who BG’s offense is having to put points on.. it’s VERY different than Ohio Co., Marshall Co. Warren East, etc. They’re having to put up points on the best defenses in the state. Cooper, Bunton, Dingle, Burwash, etc didn't even play past the half in the Christian County and 2 Greenwood games. To me, it still seems like the strength of schedule is so lopsided , other than Freddie D, that BG has the clear advantage. That’s why it’s hard to compare stats.. IMO!! 
 

Also, OCTOBER 23rd, is the last away game Owensboro has played?!?! WOOOW!!!  Almost 2 months. Great benefit of the RPI, we’ll see if that hurts in the long run!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Closing in on 24 hours away...

Battle for the Natcher - State Championship Edition

We’re about to see a ton of talent and tradition Saturday.  

Bowling Green 28

Owensboro 21

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Purplepride said:

Hmmm.. I don’t think Daviess County can hang with BG at all. Again, when you look at who BG’s offense is having to put points on.. it’s VERY different than Ohio Co., Marshall Co. Warren East, etc. They’re having to put up points on the best defenses in the state. Cooper, Bunton, Dingle, Burwash, etc didn't even play past the half in the Christian County and 2 Greenwood games. To me, it still seems like the strength of schedule is so lopsided , other than Freddie D, that BG has the clear advantage. That’s why it’s hard to compare stats.. IMO!! 
 

Also, OCTOBER 23rd, is the last away game Owensboro has played?!?! WOOOW!!!  Almost 2 months. Great benefit of the RPI, we’ll see if that hurts in the long run!!! 

I don’t think he was implying Daviess would hang with BG. My translation of that is they had plenty of playmakers (which Daviess does) to qualify it as a nice test in terms of how they match up to superior athletes or of the same caliber. 
 

At this point the schedules are what they are. Owensboro beating Freddie D was all I needed to see to know this game will be uber competitive. I won’t be on my high horse until the clock hits 0 in the fourth. This is and always will be a passionate rivalry, and it doesn’t matter what the metrics are from the past few months, you can expect a war. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Purplepride fair point.  I've seen both 1st hand.  The main difference to me for Daviess and BG on offense is Humphries is a D1 guy - absolute cannon of an arm and great wheels to boot.  Both have great backs.  Bunton and Parm are both great - but Parm would be extremely successful lining up as a purple.  Again BG presents different challenges here the exception is Dingle.   The big difference for me is Humphries would make BG unbelievable.  His worst game that I personally saw was against McCracken, he was just missing several big passes that against Owensboro and Henderson he didn't miss.  

Daviess played Owensboro, McCracken, Henderson twice.  So I agree BG with the better schedule, but DC can score in bunches.

 

Humphries in 7 games:

1577 yards and 21 TD's passing

483 yards and 7 TD's rushing

He will continue to get more offers going into his senior season.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@BillNye yes sir.  I will say this, I would rather play against  BG offense than DC offense if your defense is the Jungle D. That would be scary good.  However if DC had to play BG,  Purples would wreck them.   No doubt and wasn't saying that at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Purplepride said:

Hmmm.. I don’t think Daviess County can hang with BG at all. Again, when you look at who BG’s offense is having to put points on.. it’s VERY different than Ohio Co., Marshall Co. Warren East, etc. They’re having to put up points on the best defenses in the state. Cooper, Bunton, Dingle, Burwash, etc didn't even play past the half in the Christian County and 2 Greenwood games. To me, it still seems like the strength of schedule is so lopsided , other than Freddie D, that BG has the clear advantage. That’s why it’s hard to compare stats.. IMO!! 
 

Also, OCTOBER 23rd, is the last away game Owensboro has played?!?! WOOOW!!!  Almost 2 months. Great benefit of the RPI, we’ll see if that hurts in the long run!!! 

Owensboro's schedule was a joke. The only team they played anywhere close to BG's level (or several of BG's opponents) was Frederick Douglass and that was at home and they should have lost that game.

Owensboro may beat BG and that will prove it, but I see nothing in Owensboro's schedule that makes me think they can beat BG when BG plays well.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Brown said:

@BillNye yes sir.  I will say this, I would rather play against  BG offense than DC offense if your defense is the Jungle D. That would be scary good.  However if DC had to play BG,  Purples would wreck them.   No doubt and wasn't saying that at all.

I can see why you would say that. I feel like watching the playcalling for Bowling Green has at times just left a lot to be desired so it’s hard to get a full gauge on how high the ceiling is for the Purples on offense. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Killowatt59 said:

Owensboro's schedule was a joke. The only team they played anywhere close to BG's level (or several of BG's opponents) was Frederick Douglass and that was at home and they should have lost that game.

Owensboro may beat BG and that will prove it, but I see nothing in Owensboro's schedule that makes me think they can beat BG when BG plays well.

 

Owensboro's schedule doesn't even compare to Bowling Green's.  Not even close.   When Covid happened they lost Gibson Southern( QB'd by Brady Allen who is committed to Purdue) and Henderson (Which would have been a great road test).  Instead of filling those games with state powers, they decided to keep the city/county games (Apollo, DC and Catholic).  Say what you want to about Apollo or Daviess County but both teams have tremendous offensive lines.  Also, Daviess County had a really explosive offense when they could get out of their own way.  The bottom line, at this point, the only thing the schedule is good for is for us to compare what we've seen.  I will give you that I think it proves that Bowling Green's defense is the best in 5A.  They have proven it at this point.  I will also give you that overall for the season, it makes Owensboro a bit more of an unknown.  However, all of that means absolutely nothing when it comes to what is going to happen between the lines tomorrow.  Both teams beat great programs to get to this point last week and both of these teams belong in the state championship game.  "Should" have lost last week is an opinion.  Owensboro defeated Frederick Douglass 28-27, is a fact.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, BillNye said:

I can see why you would say that. I feel like watching the playcalling for Bowling Green has at times just left a lot to be desired so it’s hard to get a full gauge on how high the ceiling is for the Purples on offense. 

Well said.  I personally think BG turned the playbook off in the second half against CovCath.  They didn't move the ball much, but they didn't need to.  Will be interesting to see how they attack the O defense.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Purple88 said:

Well said.  I personally think BG turned the playbook off in the second half against CovCath.  They didn't move the ball much, but they didn't need to.  Will be interesting to see how they attack the O defense.

Valid point yourself. I won’t sell the BG D short, if Owensboro can’t score, none of this will matter. This unit reminds me of the Coach Griff defenses back in the early 2010’s, and for those wondering, they were an absolute nightmare. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, BillNye said:

I can see why you would say that. I feel like watching the playcalling for Bowling Green has at times just left a lot to be desired so it’s hard to get a full gauge on how high the ceiling is for the Purples on offense. 

Agree here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using the site you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use Policies.