Jump to content
DevilMayCare

Elizabethtown vs. Ashland Predictions/Updates (3A State Championship)

Panthers vs. Tomcats   

73 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who will be the 3A state champion for 2020?


  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/19/2020 at 03:00 PM

Recommended Posts

This looks like a great game!  I may take it in as well before the BG/Owensboro game!  Good luck to both teams!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just watched E-Town, Central Hardin game Ashland will have their hands full from what I’ve seen of them. Should be a great game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tomcats Pittman and Garrett on the turf if they get a cress will be gone. Both besides  great Football players are Sprinters on the Track team. They both had a field day at Bell on the artificial stuff. I believe that’s the only game they played on it all season.  Ashland D will be challenged but they have risen to everyone so far and expect another stellar performance. Nerves, and the early Saturday kick worry me somewhat. Who handles those problems better?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Tomcats1990 said:

Tomcats Pittman and Garrett on the turf if they get a cress will be gone. Both besides  great Football players are Sprinters on the Track team. They both had a field day at Bell on the artificial stuff. I believe that’s the only game they played on it all season.  Ashland D will be challenged but they have risen to everyone so far and expect another stellar performance. Nerves, and the early Saturday kick worry me somewhat. Who handles those problems better?

I think this is the ultimate test for Ashland's defense. E'town has the most balanced offense in 3A with a QB that has 37 career starts and speed all around him. The Tomcats have to shift from defending Belfry's ground and pound offense to E'town's mixed bag of spread and wing-t. I don't think Ashland has seen this level of speed and offensive variation this season. Should be a fascinating matchup.

Side note: This is the only class featuring two unbeatens and the RPI #1 vs. #2.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Power run game, quick outs passing. Keep clock moving. No punting. Soft interior run D for Etown and they’re athletes not fond of tackling. 33 could be had 250+!! Without even our starting TE for RPO

OLBs need to stay wide for sweeps. Discipline. When X/Z step back have CB crash in. Cause they’re GETTING THE BALL!!  👍🏻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have to be able to stop the Panthers sweeps to the outside where they use their speed to get to the edges. CAL never adjusted on defense to force Elizabethtown back to the inside on these sweeps. Two  aggressive safety defensive sets would help nullify them getting the edge on you. Run between the tackles and you can be successful. You need to be able to have an effective passing game on offense. CAL was effective in the passing game, their receivers turned the ball over too much. Elizabethtown is beatable.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ashland’s D is on the smaller side but are very sound fundamentally and they all run well. They also tackle very well and swarm to the ball.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is another tough game to pick and either team winning would not surprise me but I am going with the Tomcats as 3A Champs!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2020 at 8:23 PM, DevilMayCare said:

I think this is the ultimate test for Ashland's defense. E'town has the most balanced offense in 3A with a QB that has 37 career starts and speed all around him. The Tomcats have to shift from defending Belfry's ground and pound offense to E'town's mixed bag of spread and wing-t. I don't think Ashland has seen this level of speed and offensive variation this season. Should be a fascinating matchup.

Side note: This is the only class featuring two unbeatens and the RPI #1 vs. #2.

E-town is full fledged Wing T- under and gun- the launch point of the snap doesn’t effect their scheme. They do it as well as anybody.

Buck Sweep from UC, Buck from the Gun.

Jet sweep from UC, Jet from the Gun.

Counter Criss Cross from UC, Cntr XX from the gun.

Waggle (Bootleg) from UC, Waggle from the Gun.

Belly Down from UC off Jet Motion UC, Belly Down from Under Center

About the only things “different” that don’t marry one another from UC and Gun is that this year they have started running a Zone Dive from the Gun off Jet motion which hits a little better than Belly XB from the Gun w the Q (Belly series from UC or Gun is all Zone blocked from the Center on backside as is, so this isn’t anything 180 from what they were doing as is) & they run Rocket toss, FB trap mainly from Under Center and not in the Gun (although you can) as well as FB trap solely from under center  

Their “Spread” passing game, all be it in the Gun, are also concepts they run from under center- mostly off the Belly (Keep Pass) Series, often times w Jet (Flat motion). 
 

They’ll run a sprint draw from the Gun, that is the same as the longtime Wing T sprint draw concept off the Belly Series commonly known as “Sally”.  They block it the same way up front. 
 

They are a prime example of how Old school offenses- one that is tried and true as any out there, maybe more so than any- have stood the test of time.  Doing it from under and in the Gun (the same could be said for others out there).

Give me the Panthers! Ross Brown has done a great job- he grew up under one of the best to ever do it. Has taken the keys to an already sweet ride and juiced it up even more in year one.  The Apple doesn’t fall too far from the tree. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm coming to this game and am pretty excited about it!

As a fan who really doesn't know much about these teams other than they are both good enough to compete for the championship, what is(are) the key(s) to this game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Purple88 said:

I'm coming to this game and am pretty excited about it!

As a fan who really doesn't know much about these teams other than they are both good enough to compete for the championship, what is(are) the key(s) to this game?

As cliche as it sounds? Blocking, Tackling, Turnover battle, Field position/kicking game.  
 

The more of those you win? 🏆 

field position/kicking game might be the two most underrated aspects of any game played these days (and, how I’m talking about them I’m not so sure it isn’t just ONE aspect)

Flipping the field when you have to punt? Making people start from the 20 everytime after you kick off?  Killer

I’ve seen AVERAGE offensive/defensive teams with limited speed-skill, become pretty  good teams bc they can flip the field and pin people w their kicking game.  Going 80+ Each time you have the ball for 48 mins is a hard thing to do.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Purple88 said:

I'm coming to this game and am pretty excited about it!

As a fan who really doesn't know much about these teams other than they are both good enough to compete for the championship, what is(are) the key(s) to this game?

15 minutes ago, Harry Doyle said:

As cliche as it sounds? Blocking, Tackling, Turnover battle, Field position/kicking game.  
 

The more of those you win? 🏆 

field position/kicking game might be the two most underrated aspects of any game played these days (and, how I’m talking about them I’m not so sure it isn’t just ONE aspect)

Flipping the field when you have to punt? Making people start from the 20 everytime after you kick off?  Killer

I’ve seen AVERAGE offensive/defensive teams with limited speed-skill, become pretty  good teams bc they can flip the field and pin people w their kicking game.  Going 80+ Each time you have the ball for 48 mins is a hard thing to do.  

Ashland 

102 yards passing per game

300 yards rushing 

4.5 ppg allowed

6-0 vs Top 7000

Best Win #2289

Elizabethtown

194 passing per game

224 Rushing 

14.6 ppg allowed 

7-0 vs Top 7000

Best win # 2456

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using the site you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use Policies.