Fairdale at Owensboro Predictions/Updates (5A Playoffs) - Cancelled

DevilMayCare

Bulldogs vs. Red Devils   

29 members have voted

1. 1. Who advances?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/05/2020 at 12:00 AM

Rash to serve as proving ground for Bulldogs in battle of unbeatens 

Owensboro was pushed to its limits by a very game Graves County squad in the second round. The Red Devils had to shake off four turnovers to advance, but got a big game from Gavin Wimsatt and great special teams play.

Fairdale rode a relatively soft schedule to a top 10 ranking in 5A to end the regular season. In fairness, they did have CAL on the docket before that one fell through the Covid cracks. The Bulldogs turned in a workmanlike 28-7 win over Bullitt Central in Round 2 after previously averaging a 5A best 51 ppg. They now sit at #2 in scoring offense behind….. you guessed it, Owensboro.

It's time to find out how good unbeaten Fairdale really is and how much they've grown since last year. The Bulldogs took an 11-1 record into Rash Stadium a year ago and got exposed 41-6.

4o7bch.thumb.jpg.48955a0385af463981d7c2c9d9e9d936.jpg

• Like 1

This game will depend on Fairdales run game. If they can move the chains running the ball, then I can see it being a close game as Owensboro has struggled stopping the run this yr compared to last yrs team. If they try to beat O through the air, extending the game giving O more possessions it can get out of hand quickly in favor of the devils. With Carbon, Moorman and Taylor at the DB position Im not to worried about the pass. That being said I don’t think the Bulldogs have what it takes to slow down the high Octane RedDevil Offense either: 

Devils- 42

Bulldogs -21

22 minutes ago, Devils Fan said:

This game will depend on Fairdales run game. If they can move the chains running the ball, then I can see it being a close game as Owensboro has struggled stopping the run this yr compared to last yrs team. If they try to beat O through the air, extending the game giving O more possessions it can get out of hand quickly in favor of the devils. With Carbon, Moorman and Taylor at the DB position Im not to worried about the pass. That being said I don’t think the Bulldogs have what it takes to slow down the high Octane RedDevil Offense either: 

Devils- 42

Bulldogs -21

Owensboro definitely sets up for speed vs power on defense.  Owensboro’s speed prevents most breakaway plays even though they bend sometimes.  Owensboro is going to keep you in front of them and make you work your way down field.  They will stop you on some consecutive plays and either make you punt or go for it on 4th down.  As for the defense, I’m not sure how to describe the alignment.  There are 2 ‘true” down linemen, 3 earlier in the year with Williams.  Palmer and Hines are the 2 true down linemen.  Barksdale lines up at DE but in an OLB stance.  Avery, Gough and Goodwin are true linebackers.  That leaves 5 in the secondary which is really a nickel formation of either 2-4-5 or 3-3-5.  The 2 safeties are usually McHenry and Carbon but Flaherty sometimes subs in there and at CB.  The 2 main cornerbacks are Moorman and Taylor.  Secondary is very solid.  That leaves the nickel as Clark or Pendleton who seem to rotate some.  I’m sure OHS refers to this position as an OLB, so the formation would be a 3-4 in that case.  The sophomore group is really stepping up.  Hines, Goodwin, Carbon, Clark and Pendleton on defense and Miller and Rogers on offense.  I loved the 5 WR sets, Avery is scary good lined up at WR and the after the catch yards looked good.

As I said I know Fairdale is better than last year but I believe Owensboro was motivated last game and I think they will turn back to the Graves game and be thankful for a tough game.  I don’t think Fairdale is nearly as good as Graves but has some great athletes.

OHS. 40-14

1 minute ago, Brown said:

@theguru  Maybe I can pick up the game before halftime this week!  Last week it wouldn't load.  Luckily the replay works really well.

I am posting these for everyone to have a choice, I don't receive anything from them and I agree the quality is hit or miss.  I assume, but don't know, most of the issues start out locally before the stream gets to the NFHS.

21 minutes ago, theguru said:

I am posting these for everyone to have a choice, I don't receive anything from them and I agree the quality is hit or miss.  I assume, but don't know, most of the issues start out locally before the stream gets to the NFHS.

I agree the quality is more reflection at local level. 

• Like 1