BrosefStalin

Has a #4 Seed ever beaten a #1 - Biggest Upsets?

This came up in conversation amongst friends today. Has a 4 ever upset a 1 under this new format? Thx in advance.

Actually yesterday, #1 Russell County got beat by #4 Warren East 33-14 in 4A. 

• Confused 1

A #4 seed has won a State Championship.  Believe it was 1997 that Bourbon County  beat a #1 seed Boyle. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Wasn't there a four seed with a losing record that made it to the title game about ten years ago? I think it was a school from western Kentucky.

@Purple88

Are you thinking of Tilghman in 2009? They were 4-6 in the regular season and ended up winning 3A. They were a three seed, though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I believe Simon Kenton was a 4 seed a few years ago when they made it.

15 hours ago, BrosefStalin said:

This came up in conversation amongst friends today. Has a 4 ever upset a 1 under this new format? Thx in advance.

Back in the 90’s Nky Class A and AAA were almost sweeping the first round every year of the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, Jason Bucklen said:

Back in the 90’s Nky Class A and AAA were almost sweeping the first round every year of the playoffs. 

One notable example of this was Newport Central Catholic going to Raceland in 1996 and blowing out the 10-0, top seeded Rams.

6 minutes ago, DevilMayCare said:

One notable example of this was Newport Central Catholic going to Raceland in 1996 and blowing out the 10-0, top seeded Rams.

Back in 1991 I know all of the Nky Class A teams won their 1 st round games. I can’t remember about 92,93 but I know that in 94 Dayton was the only team to lose in the 1st round. 

It was much more prevalent in years past because you got the crossovers instead of staying within the district.  It made more sense to allow 4 seeds in back then since you had weaker districts who were not as good as all 4 teams in the opposite district.  Now with staying within the district it is less likely.  This year excluded with all the weird scheduling and covid issues.  Holmes as a example could not practice for a week leading up to the Boyd Co. game and you had Boyd, who if the whole season would have played out would never have been a 4 seed.

Pretty sure it happened when had the old super district with Trinity, Male, St.X, and Manual and they would crossover to play another district.