Sign in to follow this  
Randy Parker

Remsen St. Mary's (IA) 108 Montezuma (IA) 94

Final from the University of Northern Iowa in the IHSAA playoffs.  First game of the 8-player semifinals.  Below is the quarter by quarter scoring:

After 1: Montezuma-28 RSM-21
Halftime: Montezuma-46 RSM-36
After 3: Montezuma-74 RSM: 74 (they combined for 66 points in the third quarter!)
Final: RSM-108 Montezuma-94

Read More: IA Semifinals Begin With Highest-Scoring Football Game in History | https://khak.com/ia-semifinals-begin-with-highest-scoring-football-game-in-history/?fbclid=IwAR0BNN-zFimxcP-O-OEj-oXpVC7M2Y9tYyYb4_QVNfBgHrchOSuOzUo2DF0&utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

• Thanks 1

Has anyone ever watched an 8-man or 6-man game in person? I'd love to do a weekend trip to Texas one fall and watch a 6-man game and a game at one of the huge 6A schools to see the difference.

• Like 1

Kentucky used to have an (unsanctioned) state 8-man football championship.

At the time, I was covering several schools, including Eminence.   Eminence was the dominant force in KY 8-man football - they won every championship played.

8-man is a lot of fun; speed is paramount.    With only 8 players to cover the field, getting a fast player in space is devastating.

CM

• Like 2

I’m not a fan of this kind of football I like smash mouth football unfortunately it doesn’t seem like a lot of coaches agree with many anymore although there are still a few out there like Belfry.

20 hours ago, ColonelMike said:

Kentucky used to have an (unsanctioned) state 8-man football championship.

At the time, I was covering several schools, including Eminence.   Eminence was the dominant force in KY 8-man football - they won every championship played.

8-man is a lot of fun; speed is paramount.    With only 8 players to cover the field, getting a fast player in space is devastating.

CM

Eight-man was recognized by the KHSAA from 1999-2002. Teams did not play full eight-man schedules but the state playoffs were sanctioned and operated by the KHSAA, with the championship game played at Kentucky State University each season. Eminence won the first three, twice beating Bethlehem and once knocking off Kentucky Country Day. KCD would win the final title, a 37-21 victory over Bethlehem in 2002.

The playoff numbers fluctuated annually with six teams participating in 1999, eight teams in 2000, six again in 2001, and only five in 2002. Bethlehem, Caverna, Eminence, and Kentucky Country Day participated in all four tournaments. Beth Haven and Jenkins played in three events, Kentucky School for the Deaf twice, and Allen Central made one appearance.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this