Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
16thBBall Fan

AP Preseason Top 25

Recommended Posts

Here is the link to the first poll for this years college basketball season. Here is a interesting question I would like to throw out. I wonder when the last time was that Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, North Carolina, or Michigan State were ranked not in the top 5? I know it has been since the 2008-09 season on just Kentucky and Duke.

 

https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-college-basketball-poll

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

Here is the link to the first poll for this years college basketball season. Here is a interesting question I would like to throw out. I wonder when the last time was that Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, North Carolina, or Michigan State were ranked not in the top 5? I know it has been since the 2008-09 season on just Kentucky and Duke.

 

https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-college-basketball-poll

I think I got your answer. 1988-1989 preseason poll had:

1) UNLV
2) LSU
3) Syracuse
4) Michigan
5) Georgetown

UNLV won the title that season. I knew they won it all with 5 losses that season, but I did not realize they started the season #1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bugatti said:

I assume you are just talking preseason poll?

Yes to begin a season. Thanks over 30 years I figured it had been a good while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess the east coast bias is real with me, because I think you could throw out every team not in the SEC or ACC and still have your national champion. 

I'll take those two conferences against the field this year in some sort of friendly wager if anyone is looking for that kind of action. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SnottieDrippen said:

I guess the east coast bias is real with me, because I think you could throw out every team not in the SEC or ACC and still have your national champion. 

I'll take those two conferences against the field this year in some sort of friendly wager if anyone is looking for that kind of action. 

It’s only a bias if statistics don’t back it up.

You have to go back to 97 to find a west coast champion.

I was 12...”Barbie Girl” was one of the top songs of the year. A little movie titled “Titanic” was huge in the box offices...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, MBWC41 said:

It’s only a bias if statistics don’t back it up.

You have to go back to 97 to find a west coast champion.

I was 12...”Barbie Girl” was one of the top songs of the year. A little movie titled “Titanic” was huge in the box offices...

I would actually say it's more of an "East of the Mississippi" bias if I really had to think about it. Kansas is the only program with sustained success of any level in recent memory. Eventually we get back to UNLV and Houston, and further, UCLA, but in my lifetime, residing west of even Eastern Standard Time has been a death sentence for basketball programs. 

I remember 97 fairly well, though I was younger than you. A neighbor convinced me Mike Bibby was related to him in some way after the championship game. It was the last NCAA Finals game I didn't watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SnottieDrippen said:

I would actually say it's more of an "East of the Mississippi" bias if I really had to think about it. Kansas is the only program with sustained success of any level in recent memory. Eventually we get back to UNLV and Houston, and further, UCLA, but in my lifetime, residing west of even Eastern Standard Time has been a death sentence for basketball programs.

All of this is true. College athletics are very regional, very tribal. We most like the teams that are close to home or where we attended school (in some cases both). We will always watch their games. The time zone thing is important, however, because folks in the Eastern Time Zone sit down to relax at about 7pm, which just so happens to be when eastern teams are on television. I'm not particularly interested in Virginia/Boston College, but I'm watching it. UCLA/Washington, which will probably be a good game, doesn't come on until 10:30 when I'm gone to bed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2020 at 8:25 AM, gchs_uk9 said:

All of this is true. College athletics are very regional, very tribal. We most like the teams that are close to home or where we attended school (in some cases both). We will always watch their games. The time zone thing is important, however, because folks in the Eastern Time Zone sit down to relax at about 7pm, which just so happens to be when eastern teams are on television. I'm not particularly interested in Virginia/Boston College, but I'm watching it. UCLA/Washington, which will probably be a good game, doesn't come on until 10:30 when I'm gone to bed.

Same here...

If college basketball is being played between 7 and 10, I’m watching. Doesn’t matter what teams are on the floor. I’ll stay up for the UK 9pm tip-offs but that’s about it.

I’ve been to Vegas multiple times during college football and basketball season. Setting an alarm to get up and watch 9am games on a Saturday is a really strange feeling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Baylor has the most talent, but I have never been big on Scott Drew.  They have what I believe to be the best backcourt in the country and the best player in the country, Jared Butler.  

The big question for them is the frontcourt, but if Tristan Clark stays healthy, I think the Bears are the team to beat.  They'll get tested early and often too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using the site you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use Policies.