TheDeuce

BluegrassPreps Class 4A Football Rankings (11/9) - Discussion

Class 4A 

Five out of the top ten teams were in action this week, but two games in particular stood out.  The first, was #6 Lexington Catholic's stunning upset over 5A #2 Covington Catholic.  After a scoreless first, the Knights scored 14 straight to take a 14-7 lead at the break, and ultimately 21 in a row to hold a 21-7 lead after three.  A furious comeback by Covington Catholic made it 28-21 with 1:10 remaining in the game.  Lexington Catholic drove 62 yards for the score, and converted a two point pass to finish the upset. It was easily the best win of the year for the Knights, and they will need a similar effort in a potential future meeting with Boyle County. The other key result was Logan County falling to Warren East.  In the old cross-districting setup, this would have been the #1 vs. #4 matchup in the first round of the playoffs, rather than a regular season game.  Warren East was just 2-5 entering the game, but piled up 373 yards of offense in pulling an upset to knock the Cougars from the rankings.  

Hopefully that isn't the last word on 4A this season.  In particular, it seems we would be cheated of a likely rematch between Johnson Central and Boyle County.  Time will tell.

1. Johnson Central

2. Boyle County

3. Central

4. Franklin County

5. Lexington Catholic

6. Corbin

7. Wayne County

8. Russell County

9. Knox Central

10. Letcher County Central

• Like 1

I think everyone is sleeping on Corbin, I don't think we are #1 but we aren't #6 either. Not many teams can match our team speed, talent or size.

• Like 1

Just be patient. We will have opportunities to prove ourselves against the best. 

• Like 1

Don't see Corbin making it out of region. Having to travel to Paint Creek is an unfavorable matchup. 

• Like 1

I think Corbin should be above Catholic and maybe above Franklin.  Franklin's only loss coming to Central but they really haven't played anyone else that's very good.  Corbin's defense will keep them in any game they play.  It's the offensive inconsistency that worries me for them.  Lincoln is not bad obviously but that game didn't help.  But their schedule has been tougher than Franklin's. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DearToday said:

Don't see Corbin making it out of region. Having to travel to Paint Creek is an unfavorable matchup. 

We got to win the district before we need to worry about that 3rd round matchup. If we make it there, of course who other than a Corbin fan will pick us to win. I would personally rather it be on the neutral field of Kroger but it is what it is. We will find out what we’re holding that night. Personally, I got a little guy who knows any playoff game might be his last one. I’m going to keep his motivation locked in. We just want our chance to see where we stack up. We are thankful everyday just to have what we have. Good luck to all the teams, I am just hoping we finish at this point. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, DearToday said:

Where is Paint Creek?

1. Johnson Central vs. Harlan County

2. Boyle County vs. BYE

3. Central vs. Waggener

4. Franklin County vs. Shelby County

5. Lexington Catholic vs. BYE

6. Corbin vs. Lincoln County

7. Wayne County vs. #9 Knox Central

8. Russell County vs. Warren East

9. Knox Central @ #7 Wayne County

10. Letcher County Central vs. Perry County Central

https://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/khsaa/kyfb20?id=tournament_187004

Most anticipated matchup in the Top-10/First Round?

Knox/Wayne will be the most anticipated first round matchup as each are top ten teams. And we were denied their regular season matchup. 

Keep an eye on that Russell County/Warren East matchup. East put together their best game of the year a week ago in beating Logan County on the road. Russell County is rightfully favored but East might make that very competitive. 

• Like 1

Hopkinsville @ Calloway County

Warren East @ Russell County

Franklin Simpson @ ACS 

Going to be 3 of the better first round games. 

Hopkins Co has ended fall sports?  So Calloway v Hoptown is D1 winner?

I should have checked facts first.  HCC is playing Logan.

Edited by macdon
Wrong info

Hopkins County made an allowance for Hopkins Central to compete in playoffs. No other competition from their schools allowed. So Madisonville-North Hopkins doesn’t get to play an extra game.