Voice of Reason

We have a Vaccine

3 hours ago, tcjkbt said:

An MD told me it takes about 10 days for the vaccine to kick in.   He thought that the first shot would provide about 70% immunity or better.

Looks like more conflicting stories.

8 hours ago, tcjkbt said:

An MD told me it takes about 10 days for the vaccine to kick in.   He thought that the first shot would provide about 70% immunity or better.

Data from Pfizer trial shows immunity after about 10 days. Moderna is similar. This chart shows corona cases by days after vaccination for placebo and vaccine.

59252DCF-7718-425E-8389-75F00DE1638B.jpeg

On 12/26/2020 at 1:15 PM, Beechwoodfan said:

Day 3 following the vaccine.  Only had a very mildly sore arm.  Sorry about the above.

Sounds like a flu shot.

I have one scheduled for this Thursday at 2 pm, will update if any reaction.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not much of a reaction, just felt really tired rest of day, one co-worker got really flushed cheeks and was really fatigued, but have not heard of any major reactions.

• Thanks 2

Girlfriend got her first dose on Wednesday. She had no issues other than a sore arm for a day or so. 

• Like 3

Some health care workers are not getting the vaccine. That is disappointing. If people don't get the vaccine, this crisis is going to last longer than necessary. I wonder how many of those not getting the vaccine are ok with getting the virus and/or hoping for herd immunity?

For nursing homes in particular, this adds another challenge. How do you handle that if you are a nursing home owner? Should you require the vaccine as a condition of continuing employment? Huge risk factor to the owner if a worked refuses the vaccine, gets infected and spreads it to residents. How about residents who refuse the vaccine? That subjects the nursing home, other residents and staff to risk.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Some health care workers are not getting the vaccine. That is disappointing. If people don't get the vaccine, this crisis is going to last longer than necessary. I wonder how many of those not getting the vaccine are ok with getting the virus and/or hoping for herd immunity?

For nursing homes in particular, this adds another challenge. How do you handle that if you are a nursing home owner? Should you require the vaccine as a condition of continuing employment? Huge risk factor to the owner if a worked refuses the vaccine, gets infected and spreads it to residents. How about residents who refuse the vaccine? That subjects the nursing home, other residents and staff to risk.

Lots of questions/issues with far reaching implications. 

I see Moderna just announced that their version of the vaccine should provide immunity from disease for at least one year after vaccination.

That is great but it still leaves us all with a lot of unknowns... 

6 minutes ago, theguru said:

I see Moderna just announced that their version of the vaccine should provide immunity from disease for at least one year after vaccination.

Not sure how this compares to other vaccines?

I did a quick google search for flu shots and it looks they provide protection up to six months, generally.

16 minutes ago, bugatti said:

Not sure how this compares to other vaccines?

I did a quick google search for flu shots and it looks they provide protection up to six months, generally.

Fortunately six months normally gets us through flu season.  

On COVID vaccines, if they last a year what happens in a year?  Will everyone be strongly encouraged to get their yearly COVID shot, will it ever be "safe" to open everything back up, will there be a "new normal" that is dictated to all of us?  Lots of unknowns is all I am saying. 

3 hours ago, theguru said:

2 hours ago, theguru said:

Fortunately six months normally gets us through flu season.  

On COVID vaccines, if they last a year what happens in a year?  Will everyone be strongly encouraged to get their yearly COVID shot, will it ever be "safe" to open everything back up, will there be a "new normal" that is dictated to all of us?  Lots of unknowns is all I am saying. 

The great news in all of that is the unknowns of this vaccine are clearly much better then the knowns of no vaccine.

We have lived with this virus and no vaccine for almost a year and it is terrible. Please oh please bring on the vaccine and every unknown it has. It has to be better than what we lived through last year.

• Like 4

Vaccine update!  The mister and I had a very close exposure so we both got tested today.  I should add that the mister has been quite sluggish for the last 4-5 days.

He tested positive.  I tested negative for COVID, but positive for antibodies. Seems the first vaccine I got 3 weeks ago is working and protecting me!  Looking forward to getting my second next week.

As far as Mr. BWF is concerned, he feels better today than he has all well.  Hopefully this means he has only a very mild case.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Beechwoodfan said:

Vaccine update!  The mister and I had a very close exposure so we both got tested today.  I should add that the mister has been quite sluggish for the last 4-5 days.

He tested positive.  I tested negative for COVID, but positive for antibodies. Seems the first vaccine I got 3 weeks ago is working and protecting me!  Looking forward to getting my second next week.

As far as Mr. BWF is concerned, he feels better today than he has all well.  Hopefully this means he has only a very mild case.  

Are your antibodies definitively from the first vaccine shot or could they be from a combination of having COVID in the past and not knowing it and the first vaccine shot?