Tigerpride94

KHSAA shuts down KY High School Football Playoffs until Further Notice - Playoff Brackets Posted 11-13-20

3 minutes ago, footballfan55 said:

This probably isn't a bad way to go (says the person whose team in the top 16 RPI), but why would they wait until the 18th to make that decision?

Why make it 16? Make 8 and get it over with. Let the other teams play additional game. Name a team in the bottom half of the 16 that has a chance? The more time this takes, the more likely the virus will cost someone who has a real chance at winning.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, laketime85 said:

Why make it 16? Make 8 and get it over with. Let the other teams play additional game. Name a team in the bottom half of the 16 that has a chance? The more time this takes, the more likely the virus will cost someone who has a real chance at winning.

Frederick Douglass in 5A (9th in RPI) is one....

• Like 1

So a 16-team field in 6A would look like this. Seems like a lot of long bus rides.

1. Trinity
16. Meade County

8. Ryle
9. Dupont Manual

5. Male
12. Dixie Heights

4. Henderson County
13. Ballard

6. Paul Laurence Dunbar
11. Apollo

3. Bryan Station
14. George Rogers Clark

7. McCracken County
10. St. Xavier

2. North Hardin
15. Oldham County

15 minutes ago, double said:

So out of 6 classes you can find 1 team? Seems like a good plan to me. In this instance we can't make everyone happy.  

Not necessarily against the idea, although there should be two guarantees:

1. The first place finisher from each district is assured a postseason berth, even if they have a poor RPI.
  2. The sixteen teams are split into two regions for the first round in order to minimize travel. After round one, you can do the RPI-based pairings that the KHSAA began last year.
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, footballfan55 said:

They should do this under normal circumstances too, IMO.

• Like 1

I'm not really a glass is half empty kind of a guy but for some reason I don't think we'll see another game this year. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

They should do this under normal circumstances too, IMO.

They should address the RPI formula before doing a 16-team bracket based on that. Out of state games are not exactly counted correctly currently.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KY Outsider said:

They should address the RPI formula before doing a 16-team bracket based on that. Out of state games are not exactly counted correctly currently.

That's fair. 

34 minutes ago, KY Outsider said:

Thank you! RPI is flawed.  I would have to do a detailed review of all the classes but in general this RPI is too flawed to be the only determining factor in who gets in the playoffs. 

I also agree with the point made above about district champions not being left out.

• Like 2

We have a bunch of smart people on this one, I like it!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, double said:

DeSales, 13th in 3A RPI....

• Thanks 1

All things considered the last thing I would do if I was the KHSAA would be to exclude any teams that want to participate in the postseason. 

• Like 2