THUNDERBIRDS

Highlands 21 Covington Catholic 7 (Frosh)

I watched this game along with every HHS/CCH Freshman game that last 7 years and I will tell you, Highlands dominated CCH last night. Sure it was a 2nd half 7-7 game. I think HHS's defense held CCH to 2-1st downs all night. Could of very easily been a 14-0 2nd half. Highlands had the ball with a Fresh set of down on CCH's 11 yard line going into score. And yes, HHS would of scored! A terrific Defensive Strip by CCH and fantastic return 89 yards gave CCH some time to remain on Life support halfway through the 4th. I don't remember for sure but I'm not so sure CCH ever crossed the 50 yard line last night on Offense. Maybe they did but it wasn't very often. CCH's QB was getting Hammered after each throw. I mean destroyed! So with me watching all 7 years and 1 match up on TV earlier this year, here is my question.

How can Highlands for the last 8 match ups with CCH come within One possession of a Victory to even beating CCH Twice in the last 3 meetings, become that Bad at the High School level? A lot of questions to be answered. Many speculations, even some saying it's the FTJFL's fault for driving players away. Really? The Freshman team seems to be very competitive each year but after that it becomes a Dumpster Fire. What gives? Talent? Kids not playing anymore? Strength and conditioning? Probably a combination of all of those things. Just can't figure out why we can compete with or even beat CCH on the Frosh level but have a Running Clock hung on us in Varsity. Something just isn't adding up.

Nice talent on both sides of the ball last night but to ever say Highlands doesn't have talent to Win or even compete on the Varsity level right now is just not a very good argument. I get it that players change over a couple of years but why can't the Highlands player change right with the CCH player?

Again, something just isn't right to me!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

What players scored or played well that we can look forward to watching in the future?

3 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

What players scored or played well that we can look forward to watching in the future?

WR Carson Class and RB Dalton Roller were both really good in the first game back a few weeks ago. They both had quite a few tackles on the defensive side too...not sure if they were linebackers or D-linemen, but they were right in the thick of it at the line of scrimmage a lot.

2 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

Who coaches the freshmen?

Brady Dowling is the head coach of the freshmen team.  I believe he's been in that role for at least 5, 6 years?   

• Thanks 2

Some great talent on that team. They play with enthusiasm. Dowling seems to do a great job. A lot of of his previous teams were good. 

I know the kids really like Dowling.  I also think there is something inherently special about their freshman year at Highlands because for most teams, it is usually the first year all the kids actually play together on the same team.   This current group was split up on two different teams the last two years.  Which can lead to some thin rosters, but an awful, awful lot of snaps for those kids.  So, I think its a real positive the way the FTJFL does it and results in 14/15 year olds who have had a lot of reps leading into that freshman year.      

• Like 1

And I'd also like to say, to the original post by @THUNDERBIRDS who hits the nail squarely on the head.  The lack of player development at the high school level is one of the enormous problems this current staff should, and all signs point to will, be held accountable.  

17 minutes ago, observerbynature said:

Brady Dowling is the head coach of the freshmen team.  I believe he's been in that role for at least 5, 6 years?   

7th season as Frosh Head Coach.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

WR Carson Class and RB Dalton Roller were both really good in the first game back a few weeks ago. They both had quite a few tackles on the defensive side too...not sure if they were linebackers or D-linemen, but they were right in the thick of it at the line of scrimmage a lot.

Brody Benke is the freshman QB. He apparently had a nice game last night, as did Class. Ikey Palmer is a really nice D-lineman too.

• Like 1