theguru

Cooper 48 Highlands 21

7 hours ago, NKYPrepSportsFan said:

Don’t tell me the talent isn’t there when the Freshmen team consistently wins.  How can BW not find 15 kids to go play 85% of the game and win?!?!

Here’s a variation that I’ve heard for the past few years 

Why won’t BW play his best 15 players for 85% of the game?   

• Like 2

Going back and re-reading the CovCath 47 Cooper 0 thread on 9/25, you'd have thought Cooper was about to pack it in.  So many "what has happened to Cooper" posts.  Now, nearly a month later, they go to DCM and handily beat the Birds.  

Man, life comes at you fast.  

• Like 1

A reminder that all two-way, three-way, and other combination ties that cannot be broken by head-to-head competition will now be broken using the RPI (January 2020 determination). The old three-way tiebreaker is no longer in use.

This is from the KHSAA update 10/7/2020.  So realistically this cannot be determined until after all games are played?

• Thanks 3

Current RPI, which I don't believe includes last night's results:

Conner ................ 52287

Highlands ........... 49908

Cooper ................ 47166

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Samcro said:

Cooper, Conner and HHS are all 2-2 in the district and head to head won’t break the tie.  What are the secondary seeding procedures?

If memory serves me correctly, Cooper had this problem in their 2012 State Championship runner-up season. Unless the rules have changed, the tie-breaker then was you counted the total wins of your opponents excluding the results of one another. Cooper ended up 3rd and went on the road for every game in the playoffs to BG. Not sure if the rules have changed. 

24 minutes ago, Mr. Sixer said:

If memory serves me correctly, Cooper had this problem in their 2012 State Championship runner-up season. Unless the rules have changed, the tie-breaker then was you counted the total wins of your opponents excluding the results of one another. Cooper ended up 3rd and went on the road for every game in the playoffs to BG. Not sure if the rules have changed. 

Please read a few posts above.  The rule was changed Oct. 7

8 minutes ago, cincyswords said:

Please read a few posts above.  The rule was changed Oct. 7

Check and didn’t see it previously. Based on last night I believe Cooper would be at the top of that tie-breaker. The earlier post showing RPI I hope did not include last nights game. 

• Like 1

Schedules for all 3 teams are 6A Ky. schools with the exception of the Moeller game for Highlands.  Not sure if it helps or hurts with a victory over them in comparison to Cooper and Connor's schedule.

Cooper's schedule seems to have the strongest opponents and potential with wins to add points having Ryle and Dixie.

Highlands has Moeller and Campbell County.

Connor has GRC and Ryle.  

If all three win out I would think Cooper would get the best bump, but I have to leave that to the scientist who can figure all this out.  

BW made his statement last night and proved why he will go down as the worst coach at HHS. Just by reading this thread I feel people just love the fact that Highlands is bad. Some fanning the flames and others supporting a coach which I don't understand why. I have attended games in the past, all of them and now watching on TV. I see better than I hear. For people to get on this page and try to support a coach that is destroying Highlands is amazing. I don't think talent is an issue. It never has been and never will. Coaching talent is the issue. I see these players working hard and trying. They didn't have any quit in them unlike the coaches who look liked they have thrown the towel in.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AgainstTheGrain said:

BW made his statement last night and proved why he will go down as the worst coach at HHS. Just by reading this thread I feel people just love the fact that Highlands is bad. Some fanning the flames and others supporting a coach which I don't understand why. I have attended games in the past, all of them and now watching on TV. I see better than I hear. For people to get on this page and try to support a coach that is destroying Highlands is amazing. I don't think talent is an issue. It never has been and never will. Coaching talent is the issue. I see these players working hard and trying. They didn't have any quit in them unlike the coaches who look liked they have thrown the towel in.

Agree with a lot of this.  Talent is not what it was in the heyday of Dale, but Highlands teams have won with supposed lesser talent in the past.  I have said this several times before, the program is stale and has gotten progressively worse over the last several years.  Not sure all coaches are even pulling in the same direction which causes even more concern.  BW has given many good years to the program as a defensive coordinator and that should not be forgotten.

Based on the events of last night, I just hope things can be civil over these last few weeks and nobody says or does something that they will regret for the rest of their lives.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, cincyswords said:

Schedules for all 3 teams are 6A Ky. schools with the exception of the Moeller game for Highlands.  Not sure if it helps or hurts with a victory over them in comparison to Cooper and Connor's schedule.

Cooper's schedule seems to have the strongest opponents and potential with wins to add points having Ryle and Dixie.

Highlands has Moeller and Campbell County.

Connor has GRC and Ryle.  

If all three win out I would think Cooper would get the best bump, but I have to leave that to the scientist who can figure all this out.  

Remember, KHSAA RPI is heavily weighted towards wins. Playing tough competition does not help much if you lose.

Yes, Cooper has the best opportunity but they also have the two toughest opponents. They really need a win against one of those two to get the number two seed. 

Conner has the best opportunity to get another win and pick up points when they play GRC. 

I don't think Highlands gets points for beating an out of state opponent so Moeller is a non factor. For Highlands, it is all about beating Campbell County.

This is very much up in the air and likely will not be decided till the last week.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, The Double Deuce said:

Going back and re-reading the CovCath 47 Cooper 0 thread on 9/25, you'd have thought Cooper was about to pack it in.  So many "what has happened to Cooper" posts.  Now, nearly a month later, they go to DCM and handily beat the Birds.  

Man, life comes at you fast.  

Also what was mentioned in that thread. Was that Cooper had a lot of guys who were just now getting their first varsity experience. Including 4 of their 5 lineman being new varsity starters this year. So some were a little to quick to be saying some of those things. Especially when 2 of their first 3 games were against teams such as Desales and Covcath. It takes some time to get things going with so many new starters. Those games also probably helped prepare them for how they are doing now.  

Since that Covcath game. They have now won 3 of the last 4. With their only lost being a 7 point lost to Conner. Which was a game that Cooper actually out gained Conner by over  100 yards. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Congrats to Cooper’s players and staff for excellent game planning and equally excellent execution. They are steadily improving and Lee is the best all-around player in NKY in my opinion.  What a super game by the Jags. No one should be quick to pile on a team when they are down. Birds will be back after enduring what is headed toward one of those rare Highlands losing seasons.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, StraightShooter said:

Congrats to Cooper’s players and staff for excellent game planning and equally excellent execution. They are steadily improving and Lee is the best all-around player in NKY in my opinion.  What a super game by the Jags. No one should be quick to pile on a team when they are down. Birds will be back after enduring what is headed toward one of those rare Highlands losing seasons.

I already said much of what I'm about to repeat a couple pages ago, but I really do think that the strength of the Cooper coaching job cannot be emphasized enough and deserves as much respect as can be given.    You got to travel at whatever time they got there, and then sit through a 2 hour lightning delay in the other teams' middle school gym.    And yet, to start that fast, with that game plan, and constantly force the other team to have to adjust to what you were doing, it was just really, really impressive.   Really well done.   

• Like 7