Voice of Reason

Mask or No Mask

Mask or No Mask  

38 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Mask or No Mask

• Mask
    • No Mask

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/01/2020 at 09:49 PM

Notorious anti-masking states North Dakota and South Dakota are now #1 and #2 in cases per 1M. Both are rapidly rising in deaths per 1M with North Dakota now up to #8 in deaths per 1M. North Dakota just this week issued a mask policy. Utah finally did the same about a week ago in the face of fast rising cases there. It apparently takes first hand experience before some people will admit that wearing masks has value.

The anecdotal evidence is clear that masks have value. I hope all reading this are diligent, stay safe, protect themselves and protect all those they are around in person. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, theguru said:

I hung out with a nurse last night and they are very busy with normal hospital stuff, hospital stuff that was put off earlier in the year, and of course the Rona. 

Probably going to have to put off non-essential surgeries again. 

I was in a store the other day.  Saw a young man in there not wearing a mask.  I noticed him because he was the only one not wearing a mask (I used to feel weird wearing one.  What a difference 10 months can make!). Anyway, an employee very politely came up and said “Sir, we require masks in this store.”  He immediately shot back “It ain’t like I am ever coming back here no way!”  

His response told me two things..

1. He was just waiting for someone to say something to him so he could mouth off.

2. His  rudeness and incredibly bad grammar made him look like an ignorant punk, not the clever tough guy he thought he was.

Funny thing is that after he walked out, another customer loudly said. “That’s no great loss.” Everyone within earshot laughed.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Beechwoodfan said:

I was in a store the other day.  Saw a young man in there not wearing a mask.  I noticed him because he was the only one not wearing a mask (I used to feel weird wearing one.  What a difference 10 months can make!). Anyway, an employee very politely came up and said “Sir, we require masks in this store.”  He immediately shot back “It ain’t like I am ever coming back here no way!”  

His response told me two things..

1. He was just waiting for someone to say something to him so he could mouth off.

2. His  rudeness and incredibly bad grammar made him look like an ignorant punk, not the clever tough guy he thought he was.

Funny thing is that after he walked out, another customer loudly said. “That’s no great loss.” Everyone within earshot laughed.

The sad part about that is he probably bragged to his buddies later about how he "owned" the people in the store. 

• Like 1

On 11/15/2020 at 1:55 PM, Voice of Reason said:

Notorious anti-masking states North Dakota and South Dakota are now #1 and #2 in cases per 1M. Both are rapidly rising in deaths per 1M with North Dakota now up to #8 in deaths per 1M. North Dakota just this week issued a mask policy. Utah finally did the same about a week ago in the face of fast rising cases there. It apparently takes first hand experience before some people will admit that wearing masks has value.

The anecdotal evidence is clear that masks have value. I hope all reading this are diligent, stay safe, protect themselves and protect all those they are around in person. 

Would be interesting to see a breakdown in those two states with regards case numbers on/off the Indian reservations.  I remember seeing something fairly early on in the spring talking about how they (the reservations) seemed to be taking a much bigger hit compared to the rest of the public.  I wonder if that's still the case.

30 minutes ago, CincySportsFan said:

Would be interesting to see a breakdown in those two states with regards case numbers on/off the Indian reservations.  I remember seeing something fairly early on in the spring talking about how they (the reservations) seemed to be taking a much bigger hit compared to the rest of the public.  I wonder if that's still the case.

I live in the area. It has been a source of pride across both states that they have not required any type of mask mandate. Fargo (pretty good ways from the reservations) is at capacity and they are scrambling to find alternative places to house patients. South Dakota being most defiant about it all. But yes, reservations - which are comprised of low income populations - are struggling with the virus.

More anti-masking states are being forced by COVID to face reality and put in masking guidelines. As I said above, some people will not come around till first hand personal experiences and reality force them to. Look at this list of states with the most cases per 1M people (as of yesterday):

1. North Dakota 
  2. South Dakota
  3. Iowa
  4. Wisconsin
  5. Nebraska
  6. Utah
  7. Idaho
  8. Illinois
  9. Montana
  10. Tennessee
  11. Mississippi
  12. Arkansas
  13. Kansas
  14. Wyoming
  15. Louisiana

That should be an eye opening list. Many of those states have reversed and recently put in restrictions and masking rules.

Everyone please be safe. Protect those you love and your neighbors. We all know the rules. Safety first. 

• Like 2

Local hospital numbers from yesterday morning, from Tampa General (1000 bed level one trauma hospital) and BayCare (15 hospitals with 3480 beds).

At TGH 46 Covid patients, 18 in ICU. 4% of total bed count. Drug overdoses outnumber Covid patients 10 to 1. Trauma 2 to 1. 

BayCare reporting 309 Covid patients, 40 in ICU. 8% of total bed count. 

These numbers are down from a month ago. It may be coming, but I'm still not seeing hospitals being overwhelmed. In fact, the total admittance in local hospitals is lower than previous years. That may be due to reduced elective surgeries or the snowbirds are staying home this year.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

From today's Enquirer article titled "Ohio reports record 11,885 COVID-19 cases":

Hospital leaders say bed capacity is not the concern. About 3 in 10 beds are still available. Running out of staff is the big concern. On Monday, the Cleveland Clinic had 970 caregivers sidelined due to illness or quarantine. More than 2,500 healthcare workers have tested positive or been diagnosed with COVID-19 in the past 10 days.

Ohio set a record for hospital care COVID patients with 4,358 beds and 1,079 in ICU. There are 1,221 COVID patients in the Cincinnati Dayton region. There are 253 patients in the ICU and 171 on ventilators. In Cinicinnati alone there are 641 patients. At the end of September there were 90.

44 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

From today's Enquirer article titled "Ohio reports record 11,885 COVID-19 cases":

Hospital leaders say bed capacity is not the concern. About 3 in 10 beds are still available. Running out of staff is the big concern. On Monday, the Cleveland Clinic had 970 caregivers sidelined due to illness or quarantine. More than 2,500 healthcare workers have tested positive or been diagnosed with COVID-19 in the past 10 days.

Ohio set a record for hospital care COVID patients with 4,358 beds and 1,079 in ICU. There are 1,221 COVID patients in the Cincinnati Dayton region. There are 253 patients in the ICU and 171 on ventilators. In Cinicinnati alone there are 641 patients. At the end of September there were 90.

On the radio today I heard that there could be some variance in that first number due to two hospitals not reporting for a couple days. It was just a headline type comment between segments  that elicited no further discussion. I don't believe the results from those two hospitals would have made a huge difference, but that's a failure on their end. 

56 minutes ago, SnottieDrippen said:

On the radio today I heard that there could be some variance in that first number due to two hospitals not reporting for a couple days. It was just a headline type comment between segments  that elicited no further discussion. I don't believe the results from those two hospitals would have made a huge difference, but that's a failure on their end. 

Probably weekend numbers not reported yet. That would add to the numbers listed above.

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

Probably weekend numbers not reported yet. That would add to the numbers listed above.

I'm gonna nitpick here then. If we have to hear every day about how many new cases there are, then we can afford to get weekend numbers, on the weekend. The virus isn't stopping until there's a vaccine, the news about the virus is 24/7, yet we hold off on counting weekend numbers so our Monday totals are huge? 

Factory workers are essential, but collecting data on the 3rd largest threat to the American people can wait until Monday? Someone please tell me I'm misunderstanding this. I know those numbers don't ultimately make much of a difference if any, but it's not good to me optically. 

EDIT: I believe it said Monday's totals were inflated by the holding of data by the two hospitals. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

More than 2,500 healthcare workers have tested positive or been diagnosed with COVID-19 in the past 10 days.

That's not a good statistic for the "masks work" argument. Masks clearly aren't stopping or slowing this thing down. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kentucky Windage said:

That's not a good statistic for the "masks work" argument. Masks clearly aren't stopping or slowing this thing down. 

How many would it have been if they weren’t wearing masks?

Nice try.

5 hours ago, Kentucky Windage said:

I thought the same when I read that but I am posting the information, not creating it to make a point of some sort. I take in all the facts and form an opinion based on those facts. No one is saying masks are 100% effective, just better than no masks.