Voice of Reason

Mask or No Mask

Mask or No Mask  

38 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Mask or No Mask

• Mask
    • No Mask

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/01/2020 at 09:49 PM

Those who will live in fear will search for it. 

Those who have moved on, have continued to move on relatively unaffected. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kentucky Windage said:

Those who will live in fear will search for it. 

Those who have moved on, have continued to move on relatively unaffected. 

I don't mean to sound callous but that is exactly right. 

• Like 1

On 10/30/2020 at 8:34 PM, theguru said:

I don't mean to sound callous but that is exactly right. 

You know I'm not a mask guy, id rather build and keep my immune system strong. Just recently the numbers in my area spiked, yet masks have been being worn for how many months now? Makes one wonder if the numbers are going up due to weakening immune systems from wearing masks religiously. I personally know someone that developed pneumonia and the doctor told her it was likely from constantly wearing the mask and not changing it often enough. 

I will say that I was surprised of lack of masks being worn in certain places during a trip to Cincinnati this weekend though. From a lot of what I've read on here and given the Norrthern Kentucky base that are members of this forum I expected to see masks everywhere. Jungle Jim's was the only place we visited that I would say over 90% of people were wearing masks. I won't name the others because I don't want them to get in trouble if they're supposed to be enforcing it, but one of them I'd say less than 20% of people were wearing masks unless in crowded areas.

14 hours ago, JDEaston said:

You know I'm not a mask guy, id rather build and keep my immune system strong. Just recently the numbers in my area spiked, yet masks have been being worn for how many months now? Makes one wonder if the numbers are going up due to weakening immune systems from wearing masks religiously. I personally know someone that developed pneumonia and the doctor told her it was likely from constantly wearing the mask and not changing it often enough. 

I will say that I was surprised of lack of masks being worn in certain places during a trip to Cincinnati this weekend though. From a lot of what I've read on here and given the Norrthern Kentucky base that are members of this forum I expected to see masks everywhere. Jungle Jim's was the only place we visited that I would say over 90% of people were wearing masks. I won't name the others because I don't want them to get in trouble if they're supposed to be enforcing it, but one of them I'd say less than 20% of people were wearing masks unless in crowded areas.

Let's be 100.

I am not debating building immune systems, I get that and feel it is the #1 fighter of COVID and most illnesses. But the recent spikes are due to restlessness and folks drawing different lines of what is acceptable, relaxed guidelines, etc. Let's not act like 100% of people for months, and to this day, have been sitting at home taking all recommended precautions (i.e. "...yet masks have been being worn for how many months now."). Heck, half the posts when we talk about this stuff is "where I went nobody was wearing a mask," or "no way am I wearing a mask," including the post you just made. Not being critical of your decision, btw, that is just the reality of it.

I still contend there is a happy balance since treatment has advanced. We should do our best to limit large gatherings, keep our space, but it doesn't mean you have to sit at home 24/7 (something very few have done). I am able to go out to eat and enjoy company without going to one extreme or the other.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Randy Parker said:

I question their effectiveness, but I wear one.  I'm not out anything by wearing one.

Same.

If they work, great. If they don’t, I’ve been slightly inconvenienced. 

For the anti mask crowd...What percentage of effectiveness would change your stance ? 

1 minute ago, MBWC41 said:

For the anti mask crowd...What percentage of effectiveness would change your stance ? 

100% wouldn't convince them. It's not about the effectiveness.

8 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

100% wouldn't convince them. It's not about the effectiveness.

Based  on the lack of responses, I guess I have to agree...

Bunch of Patriots....

So I did my own experiment today to try to find a real purpose for the masks. For anyone that doesn't know, a good friend of mine and myself run a lawncare/landscaping business. Some customers want their leafs hauled off others prefer to just have us to mulch them up. Mulching them makes a dusty environment if they are dry, today they were so I wore my covid mask on one of the jobs. 

To put it bluntly it did not work, at all. When I got home to shower I had to clean the leaf dust out of my nose just like I had to last year without wearing a mask. You can see the leaf dust floating around in the air while we are mulching, so its certainly not as fine of a particle as this virus is. Yet its being pounded in my head that the masks work? Yeah I'm not following along with that if they don't keep leaf dust out of my nose. 

4 hours ago, JDEaston said:

So I did my own experiment today to try to find a real purpose for the masks. For anyone that doesn't know, a good friend of mine and myself run a lawncare/landscaping business. Some customers want their leafs hauled off others prefer to just have us to mulch them up. Mulching them makes a dusty environment if they are dry, today they were so I wore my covid mask on one of the jobs. 

To put it bluntly it did not work, at all. When I got home to shower I had to clean the leaf dust out of my nose just like I had to last year without wearing a mask. You can see the leaf dust floating around in the air while we are mulching, so its certainly not as fine of a particle as this virus is. Yet its being pounded in my head that the masks work? Yeah I'm not following along with that if they don't keep leaf dust out of my nose. 

Cool story. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/2/2020 at 9:55 AM, Randy Parker said:

I question their effectiveness, but I wear one.  I'm not out anything by wearing one.

40-50% effective rate is still a big deal.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JDEaston said:

You have summed up today's science better than anyone could have ever done.

• Like 1

To switch it up a bit since we have beat to death yes/no on masks... For those that do wear masks, do you go reusable and wash yours out, or do you go with the throwaways?

1 minute ago, bugatti said:

To switch it up a bit since we have beat to death yes/no on masks... For those that do wear masks, do you go reusable and wash yours out, or do you go with the throwaways?

Both, but mostly the reusable. I have I think six reusable masks, four of those with replaceable filters. 

I mostly go with reusable except at work. I keep two reusable in my car at all times and just swap them out at the end of the week and wash them. At work I use the disposable ones. I have my own office at work so I don’t have to wear a mask that often at work. I know if I brought one in out of my car I would forget to take it back to my car at the end of the day. Just easier to use to the disposables at work for the convenience. I think between the fiancée and I though, we probably have ~15 reusable masks. It’s amazing how quickly our stockpile of masks built up.