Voice of Reason

Mask or No Mask

Mask or No Mask  

38 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Mask or No Mask

• Mask
    • No Mask

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/01/2020 at 09:49 PM

I too was in Florida the first week of the month.  It seemed as though masks were almost optional everywhere.  I typically wore one in to an establishment and then didn’t any more after assessing the environment. 

Our own University of Louisville did a study and found Face Masks didn’t Slow Spread Of Covid-19.

From the article:

“Our findings do not support the hypothesis that SARS-CoV-2 transmission rates decrease with greater public mask use,” the study said, as reported by Townhall’s Spencer Brown.

The study noted that “masks may promote social cohesion as rallying symbols during a pandemic, but risk compensation can also occur.” Researchers described multiple downsides to wearing a mask"

It is a quick read:

https://www.dailywire.com/news/study-finds-face-masks-didnt-slow-spread-of-covid-19

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, theguru said:

Our own University of Louisville did a study and found Face Masks didn’t Slow Spread Of Covid-19.

From the article:

“Our findings do not support the hypothesis that SARS-CoV-2 transmission rates decrease with greater public mask use,” the study said, as reported by Townhall’s Spencer Brown.

The study noted that “masks may promote social cohesion as rallying symbols during a pandemic, but risk compensation can also occur.” Researchers described multiple downsides to wearing a mask"

It is a quick read:

https://www.dailywire.com/news/study-finds-face-masks-didnt-slow-spread-of-covid-19

“mandates induced greater mask compliance, [they] did not predict lower growth rates when community spread was low (minima) or high (maxima).” 

What does that mean?

What about when community spread was not low or high?

Perhaps they didn't "predict", but what were the results?

Interesting wordcrafting. I would like to see more complete information from the study versus a selected quote from this media source.

Measuring mandated vs. non-mandated states assumes that the people in the mandated states actually wore masks, and also that they wore them even in private gatherings.

• Like 1

It isn't an in depth study but all you have to do is look at the list of states with the highest number of cases per one million people.  The top 20 states are dominated by anti masking states.

1. North Dakota

2. Rhode Island 

3. South Dakota 

4. Iowa

5. Utah

6. Tennessee 

7. Arizona 

8. Nebraska 

9. South Carolina 

10. Oklahoma 

11. New Jersey 

12. Arkansas

13. Delaware 

14. Alabama

15. New York 

16. Indiana 

17. Illinois 

18. Florida 

19. Kansas 

20. Idaho 

On 5/20/2021 at 3:21 PM, Beechwoodfan said:

Flew to Florida last week.  Airlines still require the masks but are filling up those middle seats.  Our flight was 100% full.  Seems a bit hypocritical.

Florida is awesome!  There are very few masks around Vero Beach and it feels great to be acting normal.

It is time.

A few businesses still ask you to wear masks, but that is getting fewer and fewer. I still wear one when in Publix or BJ's, the only brick and mortar places I actually shop at. I am only required to wear a mask at work in conference room meetings, now. 

At this point the only people who need to wear masks are the unvaccinated.

• Like 1

For the first time since May 11 last year, I won’t have to wear a mask at work starting tomorrow. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

For the first time since May 11 last year, I won’t have to wear a mask at work starting tomorrow. 

I work in a hospital.  Initially we were told that we could go without masks in non patient care areas, but that was quickly reversed.  The powers that be felt if patients/visitors should happen to see us they might not feel “protected.”

11 hours ago, Beechwoodfan said:

I work in a hospital.  Initially we were told that we could go without masks in non patient care areas, but that was quickly reversed.  The powers that be felt if patients/visitors should happen to see us they might not feel “protected.”

My girlfriend works in an outpatient OT/PT clinic and she doesn’t think they’ll be able to stop wearing makes any time soon. 

US at 42% fully vaccinated (139 million). Another 10% have received at least one shot. I doubt that health care facilities and nursing homes change their mask policies until we reach 60, maybe even 70%. Too much liability for them if it spreads in their facility where they are treating COVID and/or have high risk patients. 

I spoke with a doctor the other day and he told me that the mask wearing had such a huge impact on flu there are thoughts that some strains of flu may disappear completely.

• Like 1