Voice of Reason

Mask or No Mask

Mask or No Mask  

38 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Mask or No Mask

• Mask
    • No Mask

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/01/2020 at 09:49 PM

11 minutes ago, GrantNKY said:

Weaker flu strain. It’s a weak flu season in general because of the other precautions being taken to prevent Covid. We’ve never seen flu numbers like this before. It’s just a mere coincidence that in the year of Covid that we have record breakingly low flu numbers? I don’t know about that one brother. 

Ok. Let's say that masks are working for flu. It wouldn't appear that masks are working for Covid. Can we agree with that? Or is Covid spiking because we aren't wearing masks. I'm confused, because some are saying we have record low flu numbers because masks are being worn. Then we have others saying Covid is spiking because people aren't wearing masks enough. I don't see how you can have it both ways. 

12 minutes ago, Kentucky Windage said:

Ok. Let's say that masks are working for flu. It wouldn't appear that masks are working for Covid. Can we agree with that? 

No we absolutely can’t agree on that. Covid is not the flu. Covid is similar to the flu in that it’s an airborne, respiratory virus. That’s why the masks work. The masks aren’t perfect. Nobody ever said they were perfect. But they 100%, without a doubt, work. The numbers for Covid would be astronomical without masks. You can use the low flu numbers this year to people wearing masks. It’s not like the flu just isn’t happening this year, it is. The flu numbers are just at record lows. That doesn’t mean we can’t be better at wearing masks still. People are wearing masks and as a result we are having a low flu season and Covid numbers are way lower than they would be without the masks. But as Deuce has mentioned, despite the high percentage of mask usage, it’s not an exact science. Masks aren’t always worn correctly. We aren’t wearing them at home or in gatherings with close friends and family. But again that doesn’t mean that they don’t work and you can point to the flu this as direct evidence of that. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, GrantNKY said:

No we absolutely can’t agree on that. Covid is not the flu. Covid is similar to the flu in that it’s an airborne, respiratory virus. That’s why the masks work. The masks aren’t perfect. Nobody ever said they were perfect. But they 100%, without a doubt, work. The numbers for Covid would be astronomical without masks. You can use the low flu numbers this year to people wearing masks. It’s not like the flu just isn’t happening this year, it is. The flu numbers are just at record lows. That doesn’t mean we can’t be better at wearing masks still. People are wearing masks and as a result we are having a low flu season and Covid numbers are way lower than they would be without the masks. But as Deuce has mentioned, despite the high percentage of mask usage, it’s not an exact science. Masks aren’t always worn correctly. We aren’t wearing them at home or in gatherings with close friends and family. But again that doesn’t mean that they don’t work and you can point to the flu this as direct evidence of that. 

Absolutely mind boggling to me that it still has to be explained like this.  What is common sense for some, is just not comprehensible for others.

• Like 2

I might be able to agree with mask effectiveness against the flu. The only thing I'm not buying is we have no clue if we've hit our flu season yet. Sometimes it is later (February/March).

The jury is still out on effectiveness for Covid though. We’ve had masks since March. We didn't peak until late April. Then November hits and our numbers have been surging since. 

48 minutes ago, Kentucky Windage said:

I might be able to agree with mask effectiveness against the flu. The only thing I'm not buying is we have no clue if we've hit our flu season yet. Sometimes it is later (February/March).

The jury is still out on effectiveness for Covid though. We’ve had masks since March. We didn't peak until late April. Then November hits and our numbers have been surging since. 

So you think the masks work for the flu but not for Covid even though they are spread in the exact same way? I think it was @Voice of Reason who quoted the other day, “Only a sith speaks in absolutes.” We’re not dealing with absolutes. Its not masks work 100% of the time. They don’t. But just because something doesn’t work 100% of the time doesn’t mean it doesn’t work at all. That’s the grey area. That’s why it takes a communal effort to slow this down. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, GrantNKY said:

So you think the masks work for the flu but not for Covid even though they are spread in the exact same way? I think it was @Voice of Reason who quoted the other day, “Only a sith speaks in absolutes.” We’re not dealing with absolutes. Its not masks work 100% of the time. They don’t. But just because something doesn’t work 100% of the time doesn’t mean it doesn’t work at all. That’s the grey area. That’s why it takes a communal effort to slow this down. 

That's a horrible take and contrary to everything I've said since the start. I've never spoken in such a way. @Voice of Reason wouldn't agree with my takes on this, but I'm sure VOR will have my back regarding the "speaking in absolutes" comment. 

I will speak in an absolute and say that masks aren't effective enough for me to wear one everywhere. Success is measured in different ways. Let's say masks are 5% effective. Is that good enough for you to wear one? Because it isn't for me. 

13 minutes ago, Kentucky Windage said:

I will speak in an absolute and say that masks aren't effective enough for me to wear one everywhere. Success is measured in different ways. Let's say masks are 5% effective. Is that good enough for you to wear one? Because it isn't for me. 

So you don't know how effective they are, but you know they aren't effective enough for you to wear one?

Sound logic. 

38 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

So you don't know how effective they are, but you know they aren't effective enough for you to wear one?

Sound logic. 

The spike in numbers speak in my defense and nobody knows how effective masks are. Nobody.

52 minutes ago, Kentucky Windage said:

The spike in numbers speak in my defense and nobody knows how effective masks are. Nobody.

The spike in numbers speaks to the fact that people don’t wear them all the time. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Kentucky Windage said:

True, no one knows how effective. But everyone should realize and accept masks are effective on some level. You agree on that. The question to you is what level of effectiveness would cause you to agree to wear a mask when around others in public even if it isn't required?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

True, no one knows how effective. But everyone should realize and accept masks are effective on some level. You agree on that. The question to you is what level of effectiveness would cause you to agree to wear a mask when around others in public even if it isn't required?

Good question. I'd probably go with a figure around 25% effective for me to start wearing masks everywhere (I wear them to a number of public places already...grocery stores and basketball practices). 

Every mask study I've seen speaks to masks being 2-5% effective. That percentage won't put a mask on me. Everything that I've seen that says masks work have been opinion based and not based on significant scientific knowledge. 

24 minutes ago, Kentucky Windage said:

Good question. I'd probably go with a figure around 25% effective for me to start wearing masks everywhere (I wear them to a number of public places already...grocery stores and basketball practices). 

Every mask study I've seen speaks to masks being 2-5% effective. That percentage won't put a mask on me. Everything that I've seen that says masks work have been opinion based and not based on significant scientific knowledge. 

Can you share the scientific knowledge that shows they are only 2-5% effective?

By 2-5% effective, are you saying wearing a mask only reduces your chance of getting the virus by 2%? There’s no way anyone really believes that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kentucky Windage said:

Let's say masks are 5% effective. Is that good enough for you to wear one? Because it isn't for me. 

Umm yeah. That’s absolutely enough for me to wear one. Why isn’t it enough for you? It’s the most minor inconvenience imaginable. It takes zero effort and impacts your life zero. Being frustrated because things are shut down, no events, etc. is understandable. We’re all frustrated by that and everyone wants to be able to live their normal life again. Being frustrated by having to wear a mask because you don’t think it’s effective enough? I just don’t understand that at all. 

38 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

By 2-5% effective, are you saying wearing a mask only reduces your chance of getting the virus by 2%? There’s no way anyone really believes that. 

There are real scientific based studies that agree with exactly what I've posted. They're posted in the Coronavirus forum. Check them out and follow the science.