Voice of Reason

Mask or No Mask

Mask or No Mask  

38 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Mask or No Mask

• Mask
    • No Mask

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/01/2020 at 09:49 PM

3 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

I thought the same when I read that but I am posting the information, not creating it to make a point of some sort. I take in all the facts and form an opinion based on those facts. No one is saying masks are 100% effective, just better than no masks.   

One must also realize that the health care workers have lives outside of work and families.  They are like the rest of us.  There’s no way to directly correlate that masks don’t work because people who wear masks get the virus.  At some point, every single person is maskless in the presence of another person, most likely family.  Many arguments against masks (in particular) are incomplete because they don’t consider the full reality of daily life.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

How many would it have been if they weren’t wearing masks?

Nice try.

2,500 in the last 10 days. That's a large figure. That's a figure that is beyond workers going about their normal day to day at home maskless. 2,500 in the last 10 days tells me there is one common denominator. Hospital work. Either these 2,500 workers and their patients aren't following protocols/procedures or masks don't work nearly as effectively as what we're being told. 

If they weren't wearing masks, I'd say based off some studies I've read in the past the number would have been in the 2,600 to 2,800 range without masks. That's a statistically insignificant number. Those 100 to 300 additional workers will get the virus in the next 5 to 10 days. Masks don't effectively stop viral spread. People are using masks as a reason why they can be out and about. Masks are providing that false sense of security. 

VOR & Duece, please don't take my discussion as a slight on you. I enjoy the dialog that you bring. 

Rant/Sidetrack - Does anyone see the schools being shut back down as an admission to the theory that masks aren't effective? What I've seen from my children's school is a strict adherence to mask wearing. Why shut them down? I want my children in class to learn in an environment that is conducive to learning. 

@Voice of Reason

2 hours ago, Kentucky Windage said:

2,500 in the last 10 days. That's a large figure. That's a figure that is beyond workers going about their normal day to day at home maskless. 2,500 in the last 10 days tells me there is one common denominator. Hospital work. Either these 2,500 workers and their patients aren't following protocols/procedures or masks don't work nearly as effectively as what we're being told. 

If they weren't wearing masks, I'd say based off some studies I've read in the past the number would have been in the 2,600 to 2,800 range without masks. That's a statistically insignificant number. Those 100 to 300 additional workers will get the virus in the next 5 to 10 days. Masks don't effectively stop viral spread. People are using masks as a reason why they can be out and about. Masks are providing that false sense of security. 

VOR & Duece, please don't take my discussion as a slight on you. I enjoy the dialog that you bring. 

Rant/Sidetrack - Does anyone see the schools being shut back down as an admission to the theory that masks aren't effective? What I've seen from my children's school is a strict adherence to mask wearing. Why shut them down? I want my children in class to learn in an environment that is conducive to learning. 

@Voice of Reason

Instead of looking for every reason not to do something to help slow the spread of the virus (wear a mask), we should be doing anything we can to help slow it down. Wearing a mask is by far the most simple thing that can be done, yet many people will look for any excuse they can to justify their selfishness. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rockmom said:

One must also realize that the health care workers have lives outside of work and families.  They are like the rest of us.  There’s no way to directly correlate that masks don’t work because people who wear masks get the virus.  At some point, every single person is maskless in the presence of another person, most likely family.  Many arguments against masks (in particular) are incomplete because they don’t consider the full reality of daily life.

My daughter's practice is shutdown this week after a medical assistant started showing symptoms Monday last. The MA had vacationed the previous 2 weeks, the first of those in Orlando. 

For what it is worth, my daughter, son-in-law, grandson, and the remainder of her staff tested negative. 

On 11/15/2020 at 12:06 AM, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

All Louisville adult hospitals are at COVID unit and ICU capacity. They are currently looking at what will be required to turn the fairgrounds into a field hospital ICU.

Good Samaritan Hospital in Cincinnati spent most of last week above 50% capacity, total hospital beds, with COVID patients. Good Sam is a 700 bed hospital. Talked to my brother who is the head respiratory therapist on the COVID unit, and he estimated that's down to "maybe 45% now".

My wife's neurology unit is currently at 20% staff due to workers who are COVID positive or in quarantine.

6 hours ago, rockmom said:

An official @rockmom sighting! 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

@Kentucky Windage @Colonels_Wear_Blue

The other factor on healthcare workers in quarantine is their risk of potential exposure is constant. What are the guidelines for healthcare workers needing to quarantine? 

Well, speaking from what I know from my wife, who is a non-COVID-unit worker, and my brother who is a COVID-unit worker...

Non-COVID-unit workers are 100% masks and gloves at all times in the hospital. Daily body temp readings are taken when entering the hospital. Social distancing is still required where possible, and minimum physical contact during appointments is being observed. Lots of people who would generally receive some degree of physical evaluation are not being given physical evaluation...although not all, by any means. If they are required to interact with a suspected or confirmed COVID-positive patient, they do so wearing gloves, gowns, N95 masks and face shields. If they are exposed to a confirmed COVID-positive patient without the required protection, they have to quarantine at home for 14 days and are tested for COVID before returning to work.

COVID-unit workers are wearing gloves, gowns, N95 masks and face shields 100% of the time. They are encouraged to quarantine as much as possible outside of work (my brother hasn't seen our parents in person since March), and if they are for some reason exposed without their PPE, then they have to quarantine at home for 14 days and are tested for COVID before returning to work.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Well, speaking from what I know from my wife, who is a non-COVID-unit worker, and my brother who is a COVID-unit worker...

Non-COVID-unit workers are 100% masks and gloves at all times in the hospital. Daily body temp readings are taken when entering the hospital. Social distancing is still required where possible, and minimum physical contact during appointments is being observed. Lots of people who would generally receive some degree of physical evaluation are not being given physical evaluation...although not all, by any means. If they are required to interact with a suspected or confirmed COVID-positive patient, they do so wearing gloves, gowns, N95 masks and face shields. If they are exposed to a confirmed COVID-positive patient without the required protection, they have to quarantine at home for 14 days and are tested for COVID before returning to work.

COVID-unit workers are wearing gloves, gowns, N95 masks and face shields 100% of the time. They are encouraged to quarantine as much as possible outside of work (my brother hasn't seen our parents in person since March), and if they are for some reason exposed without their PPE, then they have to quarantine at home for 14 days and are tested for COVID before returning to work.

If non-COVID unit healthcare worker sees a patient wearing only mask and gloves, and that patient soon after tests positive, does that become a quarantine for the healthcare worker?

1 minute ago, Voice of Reason said:

If non-COVID unit healthcare worker sees a patient wearing only mask and gloves, and that patient soon after tests positive, does that become a quarantine for the healthcare worker?

If "soon after tests positive" falls within the potential incubation period, then yes, it becomes a quarantine for the healthcare worker.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Kentucky Windage said:

@Voice of Reason

I am conflicted on school shutdowns. Schools have done a very good job managing COVID risk. In general I believe the schools should stay open. However, COVID is so pervasive right now, I think we need more restrictions and I am ok with shutdowns. I am in favor of returning to school in the New Year.

Those colleges that set schedules to be done on campus by Thanksgiving are looking very smart now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

I am conflicted on school shutdowns. Schools have done a very good job managing COVID risk. In general I believe the schools should stay open. However, COVID is so pervasive right now, I think we need more restrictions and I am ok with shutdowns. I am in favor of returning to school in the New Year.

Those colleges that set schedules to be done on campus by Thanksgiving are looking very smart now.

In Fairfax County Virginia they found that since remote learning began in March, the number of F’s earned by middle and high school students has jumped 83 percent.

https://go.boarddocs.com/vsba/fairfax/Board.nsf/files/BVJV847F7247/$file/Q1 Marks Rpt - v6 lzh.pdf

I watched some other reports that were equally disturbing.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

If "soon after tests positive" falls within the potential incubation period, then yes, it becomes a quarantine for the healthcare worker.

My wife is nurse in pre op/ post op and they have people covid positive having surgeries since considered emergent. She has been told if patient has mask and she has mask then don’t need to do anything since low risk.

On 11/25/2020 at 10:38 AM, Voice of Reason said:

I don't think school shutdowns are due to the spread occurring inside the school.  I think for the most part, schools are doing a very good job.  At least in KCSD, it seems like a majority of the cases are traced to outside the school.  I think the issue is due to the lack of teachers.  Schools districts are already extremely short on substitute teachers, and with the current situation, they can't get any.  I've heard of schools bringing in parents to sit in classrooms while teachers are teaching the class from home virtually.  I believe it was BCHS that has over 20 teachers out at one point.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2020 at 2:34 PM, theguru said:

In Fairfax County Virginia they found that since remote learning began in March, the number of F’s earned by middle and high school students has jumped 83 percent.

https://go.boarddocs.com/vsba/fairfax/Board.nsf/files/BVJV847F7247/$file/Q1 Marks Rpt - v6 lzh.pdf

I watched some other reports that were equally disturbing.

You don’t have to go all the way to Fairfax, VA to see this. I know for a fact that it’s happening in at least a few schools locally. And there are college students struggling as well.