theguru

Is Beechwood's Cam Hergott the front runner for Kentucky Mr. Football?

Cam is good but not great or he would be getting many D1 offers. He's not  even close to being a Beau Allen from last year and he didn't even win it. No disrespect to Cam. I watched him play against Cov Cath and he made some good plays but not enough to wow me. I don't know much about all these other Mr Kentucky Football candidates so maybe Cam might be up there. Look at Mayer from last year who won. He was a dominate force on both sides of the ball and determined the flow and outcome of each game. In my mind that is what a Mr Football should be and Cam is not there. Sorry Cam. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, bluecolonels95 said:

Cam is good but not great or he would be getting many D1 offers. He's not  even close to being a Beau Allen from last year and he didn't even win it. No disrespect to Cam. I watched him play against Cov Cath and he made some good plays but not enough to wow me. I don't know much about all these other Mr Kentucky Football candidates so maybe Cam might be up there. Look at Mayer from last year who won. He was a dominate force on both sides of the ball and determined the flow and outcome of each game. In my mind that is what a Mr Football should be and Cam is not there. Sorry Cam. 

I think you make a lot of good points @bluecolonels95.

Is the selection made before state finals game or after? I’d say if the tigers make the finals and depending on how Hergott plays could be a big determining factor. Lots of ifs in there though of course, but that would help his case tremendously. 

• Like 1

I hope the young man finishes strong and achieves the goals he has set for himself. Lots of respect for the family and the school. Good Luck!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, theguru said:

Agree and since we are on the way back machine here:

Saw one of the Olingers from Hazard on there. Seemed like for the longest time Hazard always had an Olinger who was a STUD. 

@ATLCat makes a great point about Hergott and Sheron.

If Sheron continues playing at his level, and leads Somerset to another championship, I don't see how an argument could be made for Hergott winning this award. But that's based on projecting a lot of things that may very well not happen. If Hergott's going to have a good look at Mr. Football, I think he needs some help from LCA to cut Sheron's season short, and then Beechwood needs to at least get to Kroger Field.

Regardless of whether or not he wins the award, Hergott is a great quarterback and leader. A lot is placed on his shoulders every week, and he continues to shine. 

Big Cam fan. Kid does an incredible job with constant pressure from his blind side. Creates, leads, and come through in clutch better than any HS QB I’ve seen in quite a while. 

That being said, Mr. Football should be awarded to an all around force IMO. I know that’s not the rules or criteria, so no need to correct me. but as stated above, CovCath’s Mayer is great example. Dominant or impactful from both sides of the ball. If not, rename it the “Offensive Player of the Year” award...... 😎

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LoudenSwain said:

Big Cam fan. Kid does an incredible job with constant pressure from his blind side. Creates, leads, and come through in clutch better than any HS QB I’ve seen in quite a while. 

That being said, Mr. Football should be awarded to an all around force IMO. I know that’s not the rules or criteria, so no need to correct me. but as stated above, CovCath’s Mayer is great example. Dominant or impactful from both sides of the ball. If not, rename it the “Offensive Player of the Year” award...... 😎

Playing both ways is not a factor. Over the past 10-15 years few of the winners were dominant on both sides of the ball.

3 hours ago, DearToday said:

Saw one of the Olingers from Hazard on there. Seemed like for the longest time Hazard always had an Olinger who was a STUD. 

Hazard turns out some men for sure. 

18 hours ago, Sweeperboy said:

I hope the young man finishes strong and achieves the goals he has set for himself. Lots of respect for the family and the school. Good Luck!

I agree!  Kelly and Kevin are awesome and Go Tigers!

On 10/13/2020 at 11:17 AM, Voice of Reason said:

The numbers make a great case for Cam and he has compiled those numbers against high quality opponents. He absolutely should be getting strong consideration.

I ran the numbers. Other than completion percentage, I'm not sure he is among the state's elite in anything.

spacer.pnghttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/EkTlvpcWoAI5sX3.jpg

Unfortunately for Cam, I don't think the one that necessarily deserves the award is always the one that wins it.  More of a popularity contest and guys that have Power 5 offers will probably get the nod, even with lesser stats and success. 

Here is the latest update on Cam:

Cam Hergott (QB), Beechwood

Season to date: 91/125 for 1,336 yards and 10 TDs/3 ints. - 344 rushing yards and five touchdowns 

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/v/2ERJ8h

Week 6: Anytime you see 13/15 passing, it screams accuracy. But to be honest, it's easy to be accurate when you're throwing to wide open receivers all night. Lloyd Memorial's defense did little to impede Hergott's rhythm and flow, as the "Tiger King" threw for 221 yards and three touchdowns, plus another score with his legs.