Sign in to follow this  
TheDeuce

BluegrassPreps Class 1A Football Rankings (10/12) - Discussion

Class 1A

As we entered district play across 1A last week, the theme for the Top Ten was "we are right where we belong." As we look down the list of results the Top Ten from the top to the bottom laid waste to their opponents. Every Top Ten team except #10 Russellville won by four touchdowns or more over their opponents, and Russellville won by a 2 score margin.

The one interesting result in those blowouts was Raceland taking out their season of frustration on 2A Washington County. In what looked to be a competitive matchup going in, the Rams scored early and often on their way to a 56-7 win. We will see if that game gets the Rams back on their usual top five level of play.

The exception to the blowouts was the big game last week in 1A between #4 Louisville Holy Cross and #7 Bethlehem. It was a high scoring contest with the Cougars coming out on top 54-43. It was a back and forth contest early starting with the opening kickoff that Bethlehem's Zane Wickliffe returned for a touchdown. The action never stopped from that point on with the lead changing hands several times. The Cougars got a two touchdown lead at halftime, 35-21, and were able to hold from there for the win. That win keeps the Cougars undefeated at 5-0 and moves them up to #3 in this week's rankings.

There are several interesting matchups on this week's schedule. Bethlehem goes from the frying pan into the fire when they host Campbellsville. There is a matchup of the undefeated with Newport Central Catholic traveling to Dayton's historic stadium. Kentucky Country Day faces a test when Frankfort comes to visit. Williamsburg with only two games under their belts will look to assert their district dominance against Pineville, who is having a solid season. Hazard will try to use their district rivalry with Pikeville to get their season turned around. An interesting lineup of games indeed for this week in 1A.

1. Pikeville vs. Hazard

2. Paintsville at Betsy Layne

3. Louisville Holy Cross - OPEN

4. Kentucky Country Day vs. Frankfort

5. Newport Central Catholic at Dayton

6. Crittenden County vs. Fulton County

7. Raceland at Fairview

8. Bethlehem vs. Campbellsville

9. Williamsburg at Pineville

10. Russellville at Caverna

39 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

The most interesting game to me is Kentucky Country Day vs. Frankfort.

I am more interested in NewCath/Dayton. 

• Like 1

I'm intrigued by Williamsburg/Pineville. Williamsburg is the favorite, but they've not played since September 25. Pineville isn't a world beater but can they stay close with the Yellowjackets?

1 hour ago, theguru said:

I have a hard time seeing Dayton keeping that one close, especially with Marksberry out.

1 hour ago, theguru said:

I’m interested too. Considering how Dayton has played with Marksberry being out the time that he has, they have played well. Matthews and Comstock has run the ball well for them and they have played pretty well defensively. To have a chance they will have to play a very clean game. Dayton fumbled three times in the first quarter against Bellevue. They definitely can’t do anything like that. Either way, Coach Herbst has coached amazingly. Guess we will see what happens. Newport Catholic is unquestionably the toughest team they will play all season, including who they have played so far.

Pick the upset. I see 4 games with upset potential. Of those four if I had to pick one for an upset it would be Frankfort over Kentucky Country Day.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Pick the upset. I see 4 games with upset potential. Of those four if I had to pick one for an upset it would be Frankfort over Kentucky Country Day.

Panther Pride!!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Panther Pride!!

I have a lot of respect for Frankfort and root for them from afar. They have battled through some low numbers in recent years and still put out competitive teams. Great job by that coaching staff.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Voice of Reason said:

I have a lot of respect for Frankfort and root for them from afar. They have battled through some low numbers in recent years and still put out competitive teams. Great job by that coaching staff.

There's been a few years were numbers have been considered "up," but we've always taken pride in the fact that we always had such low numbers, and were still competitive most years. "The Dirty 30" as we like to call ourselves. Thirty was on the high side a lot of years. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

On 10/12/2020 at 9:26 PM, gchs_uk9 said:

I'm intrigued by Williamsburg/Pineville. Williamsburg is the favorite, but they've not played since September 25. Pineville isn't a world beater but can they stay close with the Yellowjackets?

I'm going to go with Pineville over Williamsburg as well. I think Williamsburg will be hungry to play after being off two weeks but I think Pineville will win in a close one.

1 minute ago, InsideSlant said:

I'm going to go with Pineville over Williamsburg as well. I think Williamsburg will be hungry to play after being off two weeks but I think Pineville will win in a close one.

That is a really interesting game. We just don't know how good either of those teams are. This game will help answer that question.

Sign in to follow this